The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Today's brain teaser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
How many people in the US have top secret clearance? No fair Googling.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I read something about this the other day. I think it was somewhere between 10 and 50 million.

So I'll go with 30 million. Smile

(I think what I read was about having a security clearance of some level, not necessarily top secret.)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
None
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
I know...but I can't tell you...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
How can it be top secret if we know about it?

(I had a Secret clearance for many years, and a Special Access clearance for a few projects. (Special Access is sort of like Top Secret, but hush-hushier. These were programs for which saying the program name outside of a secure room is a security violation. They take this stuff very seriously.)
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Far more than there should be.

But yes, there are clearances above Top Secret and, unfortunately I think, there are too many of those as well- among private contractors especially.

When I served, my clearance was actually "Top Secret Cryptographic" followed by a code word.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 07:08, landmark wrote:

That's need-to-know. And you don't.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I have a friend that works counter intel with an SF unit and has a TS/SCI POLY. Secret clearance doesn't seem too hard to get, but when you move up into the different TS levels, it seems to be a lot harder to get while in the military. But some of these contractors seem to get them just by passing a background check. The NSA and other groups I'm sure will be tightening their reigns soon if not already due to the recent snafu's.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I agree, lunatik.

I remember I had to wait an additional six weeks in NCTC Pensacola (doing scut duty because there was nothing else for me to do) waiting for my TS clearance to be approved. The FBI interviewed my family members, neighbors, teachers and former employers. They also did a check on my parents, grandparents and other relatives. Turns out I had very distant relatives (who I didn't even know about) who lived in what was then East Germany. I got questioned about that and was surprised to learn about them.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 16:33, mastermindreader wrote:
But yes, there are clearances above Top Secret . . . .

Special Access isn't "above" Top Secret; it's sort of off to the side: not a general clearance (under which Top Secret would fall), but a specific clearance for a specific project. My clearance let me in on lots of sneaky stuff on that particular project, but it wouldn't let me look at Top Secret stuff on other projects.

The background check wasn't as extensive as for your TS. They kept telling us that we could be subjected to a polygraph at any time, but nobody ever was. Too bad; I'd have liked to have seen what that was like.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I think that's where it's compartmentalized (sp), need to know basis.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to when I worked at Gould (later Westinghouse, then bankrupt.)

I'm pretty certain I don't any more.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-06 18:00, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 16:33, mastermindreader wrote:
But yes, there are clearances above Top Secret . . . .

Special Access isn't "above" Top Secret; it's sort of off to the side: not a general clearance (under which Top Secret would fall), but a specific clearance for a specific project. My clearance let me in on lots of sneaky stuff on that particular project, but it wouldn't let me look at Top Secret stuff on other projects.

You're right but "special access" is often referred to as "above Top Secret" among the general public.

But I prefer to be totally accurate, so:

Quote:
Information "above Top Secret" is called either Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) or special access program (SAP). It is not truly "above" Top Secret, although that phrase is often used by those in the news and entertainment media. SCI information may be either Secret or Top Secret, but in either case it has additional controls on dissemination beyond those associated with the classification level alone. In order to gain SCI Access, you will need to have a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI). Compartments of information are identified by code names. This is one means by which the need to know principle is formally and automatically enforced. Only persons with access to a given compartment of information are permitted to see information within that compartment, regardless of the person's security clearance level. As long as the holder of a clearance is sponsored, the clearance remains active. If the holder loses sponsorship, the holder is eligible for re-employment with the same clearance for up to 24 months without reinvestigation, after which an update investigation is required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S......ce_terms

So I'd amend my previous post to say that there are too many people with access to SCI and SAP as well.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 07:24, balducci wrote:
I read something about this the other day. I think it was somewhere between 10 and 50 million.

So I'll go with 30 million. Smile

(I think what I read was about having a security clearance of some level, not necessarily top secret.)

After I posted, I saw a reply from landmark but it vanished soon after. I was waiting for him to post again before I commented further. But as he has not ... let me say now ... I misremembered what I read. The numbers were actually nearly 5 million with government security access, and about 1.4 million with top secret access. So I sort of remembered the leading digits, but I was off by a factor of 10. Smile

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/......2406243/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The figure I had recently seen in the Guardian for top secret access was 850,000. The figure is buried in the following story:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/se......security

I assume BobC is correct about there being clearances higher than Top Secret.

Still that seems like quite a high number given that there are approximately 2,150,000 federal employees. That's a figure of about 40%! I guess though that since the federal figures don't include military personnel, the ratio is smaller.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-09-06 07:08, landmark wrote:

Logic dictates that there can be only one.

Only then can it be at the top. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Not necessarily so... You can have a whole group of people on top of a mountain...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-10 09:26, imgic wrote:
Not necessarily so... You can have a whole group of people on top of a mountain...

One of my Level I CFA candidates is scheduled to climb Mt. Whitney next Saturday with a group. I just pray that they make it back safely; the Sierra Nevada can change from docile to lethal in minutes.
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
907 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Does anybody here remember Bob Lazar?

He is the fellow who claims to have "Majestic" clearance which he says is something like 38 levels beyond top secret. He's the guy who came out in the 80s claiming he worked in a secret section south of Area 51 called S4 where he was hired as Chief Staff Physicist whose main job was to reverse engineer actual alien flying saucers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igUMDICqTpQ
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Today's brain teaser (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL