The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » A Simple Backdrop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I want to purchase a simple backdrop for my stage shows. Something inexpensive.
Either a trade show pop up backdrop
http://compare.ebay.com/like/17108432409......var=sbar

or a Photographer backdrop system
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251249779264?ssP......38.l2649

Anyone have an opinion on either type of backdrop they might use? Thanks
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Those trade show backdrops look interesting, kind of like a Spider backdrop. However they would be very heavy to lug around. I know Abbott's Magic sells one that is not overly expensive and if not wide enough you could put two together.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
They fold down, especially the photographer's background. I don't like lugging things around. table, case, sound, and now backdrop. so far it all fits on my dolly.

I'm wondering if anyone uses them and can say- yeah that works great. or no- falls over too much or too hard to put together.

I'll check out abbotts. thanks
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Here is the Abbotts Backdrop.
http://www.abbottmagic.com/Jet-Set-8-ABB......oryId=-1
looks great. super compact. anyone using this?
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1764 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I've used a 6 ft. Abbott's backdrop for many years. Easy to set up & tear down. I have a black drape which fits over the crossbar (kind of like a pillow-case), and I velcro a colorful 6 ft. silk in front of that (Rabbit in Hat or Chinese Dragon design, depending on what type of show I'm performing). Ideally, I'd like something bigger ... but this is real compact and I have no complaints.

Arthur Stead
http://www.arthurstead.com
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1016 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I have the 8 foot version. As Arthur states it's easy to set up and tear down. It's also adjustable to width and height, which is nice in smaller locations where you might not have the ceiling height. It has a good weight so it won't topple over easily.

John
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Looks super compact and easy to set up and tear down. I like it.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7504 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Our magic club used a photographers background stand, and curtain panels. And I rented it a few times, before making my own backdrop. You can even purchase cloth panels ready-made (with channels at the top and bottom) at places like onlineeei.com.

Keep in mind that any backdrop like this or a jet set is best for indoor use.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yes. Looks great for indoors. I sometimes do outside- do the trade show backdrops work outside (Maybe with weights on the bottom). I don't know - looks like a big sail to me. Anyone use them for outdoors?
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Me too, I got earlier this year the 8 foot Abbott's Jet Set. Well build and sturdy for INDOOR venues.

My wife sew me my custom backdrop for it and it looks gorgeous. I think of buying two other units to make the backdrop even larger since you can connect the units to eachother.

A real bargain and professional product, but I think it shouldn't be used outside. A strong wind blow and it might fall.

Oliver.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7553 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have been using the trade show pop frame for several years. If you buy them right, it is ok. First thing you do is throw away the strips and roll up facing. Just buy some fabric or buy a good 8 - 10' tall curtain. It clips on and sets up nicely. I like the skyline frames the best. They have a lifetime warranty (even if you buy them used of ebay).

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
919 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I have an Abbott's Jet Set that I haven't used in years. PM me if you want to buy it.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Thanks Richard. They look pretty sturdy. I've been checking that design out.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I don't know how expensive the trade show frames are and I know you said you wanted to keep it inexpensive, but have you looked at Jeff Jones' Magic Backdrops? I've used photographic backdrop stands (I still have several sets because I also do photography), Jet Sets, cardboard backdrops (the Jimmy Trimble Backdrop Screen), backdrops similar to the Spyder system, and Jeff Jones' Magic Backdrop. I think the Magic Backdrop is the most versatile and practical backdrop out there and it makes a spectacular impression! I always hear "wow" when I set mine up:
http://magicbackdrops.com/MagicBackdrops/Home.html

They're not inexpensive but they are worth it.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Those are very nice Michael. Kinda expensive but they really do look the best. I don't mind shelling out the cash for quality.
I've never really thought of using a backdrop until recently. Started hearing "Jim that was a really nice show. Have you ever considered using a backdrop though". So now I am investigating which one I want.
I really like the look of these.
I mostly do indoor shows with the occasional outdoor gig. Would these be suitable for outdoors or would they be more like a big sail?
Thanks
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I don't recommend using any backdrops outdoors. They are very, very hard to keep from flying off. I did a show in an amphitheater using photographic backdrop stands. My backdrop was 12' wide and 8 1/2' tall. the stands were weighted down with steel plates used for just that purpose. Despite being in an amphitheater where there was a permanent barrier behind me and seats going way up in front of me, I still worried the backdrops were going to get blown down. Fortunately, despite flapping quite a bit, they didn't come down during my 30 minute show.

Using backdrops outdoors is more of a challenge than I'm willing to undertake. In oder to use any backdrops outdoors, you have to weigh the stands down and weigh the bottom of the curtains down. (The curtains will flap in the wind otherwise.)

The Magic Backdrop only has a single leg in the center so it would not be a good candidate for outdoor use.

What makes the Magic Backdrop so nice is that they are beautiful and really easy to transport and set up. It looks like Jeff has removed the video showing how they set up. It comes in a beautiful duffle bag (made of the same material as the curtains!) and sets up in under a minute. I use the 10' x 8' one and haven't found a home yet that it was too large to fit into. The crossbar is hinged in three places so that it folds up and the curtain (which is always attached to the crossbar) rolls up around the crossbar for storage. It's so easy to set up and looks so good. I love mine. If you do a search here, you'll find there are lots of people using and loving them.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1016 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 22:07, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
Yes. Looks great for indoors. I sometimes do outside- do the trade show backdrops work outside (Maybe with weights on the bottom). I don't know - looks like a big sail to me. Anyone use them for outdoors?

If you're working outdoors and have a solid support ie wall, fence etc. you might consider a banner as backdrop. I just had one manufactured which I attached to the back of my trailer, turning it into a mini stage. You can see a coupl of picture at http://www.facebook.com/JohnMartinMontrealMagician

John

If you drop by why not click the " like" button at the top of he page so I know you stopped in. Thanks.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
That's actually a really good idea. Thanks.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Special user
512 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Check out this site. http://www.onlineeei.com/drapes.cfm
I ordered their black out drapes for their portable system, and their support rod. I am building the rest of the support system from pvc pipe. and designing it so the pipe will not show. I didn't like the visibility of their pipe supports. Makes for an inexpensive black drape backdrop. Drape are suppose to arrive this week.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Had the 8' Jet Set. Sold it when I thought I didn't need it. It is the best and now I am sorry. I need one.

Max
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » A Simple Backdrop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL