The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny line for a failed trick... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Yeah, I know what you're thinking: "He should have practiced more so he wouldn't have had to come up with a funny line…"

For my own defense, I'll just say that I *did* this trick with my eyes closed during practicing sessions but because of nervousness, I had forgotten to put some glycerine on my hands. They are so dry that it renders some moves very difficult. As a result, I lost control of my move without realizing it and ended up revealing the wrong card. And it was also the second time only that I actually had an audience in front of me.

That was the confession part.

Now on to the funny part.

The trick I presented involved my 2 jokers finding the spectator's chosen card. I called them my special agents Ker... Joe Ker #1 and Joe Ker #2. Anyways, I pattered quite a lot during the whole thing and they were laughing. The deception in my friend's expression (who was also the hostess of the party) sent a wave of discomfort over the others. As far as I was concerned, my worse fear was actually happening: I had just failed a trick and I couldn't cover it (or at least at the time, didn't think of anything). I stared about 2 seconds at the jokers lying on the table with the wrong card between them. I picked them up quickly and stared in anger at them, arms extended towards the public. I said: "YOU'RE FIRED!" and threw them left and right. The reaction was incredible! I had enough time to go fishing for my cards in a plant pot on the floor before they had stop laughing.

This experience taught me a lesson: I can be funny and quickly come up with a line in even the worse situation while performing. It made me feel good and I won't be as nervous the next time I perform.

And oh yes! I will always remember to put glycerine on my hands before a performance.

How about you? Have you ever had to come up with a funny line because of a trick that didn't turn out as you had wished for?

Richard Smile
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Once while working a fair I had a very bad day. (Ok, maybe more than one.) Of course, the agent said we would be working indoors with a good stage. That is showbiz for "the stage is a flatbed truck out in the pasture." It had rained all day, the act before me was a rock band (and had to be relatives of the producer) that left its equipment all over the "stage", and the wet microphone could shoot an electrical spark five feet. In spite of the fact there was no place to work and the sound system was lethal, it was one of the largest crowds at the fair and just before dark. The rain had shown some signs of stopping.

Since minor problems don't bother me, I performed as planned. One trick I had planned was the card in balloon done with the wire frame holding the balloon. Things went well except for the fact that when the lever was released to pop the balloon, it completely missed the card. That also was a minor problem. Everything was wet. So the balloon slipped loose and shot about forty feet straight up into the air and then floated out over the river. Such a roaring laughter I had never heard before. (Thank God!) Since the only gun I had was a blank gun and I didn't have time for the suicide note, I went for my wallet.

I explained to the volunteer that when a magician makes a mistake, he has to get his card punched. I opened my wallet to show a miniature Bicycle card faced down. Then I asked the volunteer what card he had selected. It was the six of diamonds. So I let him take out the card to punch it. It was the six of diamonds. If you ever pick up a deck missing the six of diamonds, you'll know I have been there. They are all mine! Don't worry. I'll get it punched.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Wow! That was a great way to recover your trick. When the balloon flew away, I'm sure most people thought it was part of the act, like the magician would never really reveal what the card was! But your creativity allowed you to create a unique moment! Man! This is not a failed trick. You got blessed that day! Good work! Smile

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Would have been a great moment for the invisible deck!
Daniel Faith
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20498 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Some people just believe in miracles. I rely on them.

But I know a good tip when I hear it too. The invisible deck will be handy.

Thanks guys!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That's the first time that ever happened again. (c) Senator Crandall Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I'm not as good as the other guys. - David Williamson
That didn't happen in rehearsal! – Me
I knew I should have stuck to birthday parties. – Me
Never liked that trick anyways. - Amazing J. (I think.)
Never rely on an intern for your setup. - Bill Clinton Smile

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Cabrera
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
513 Posts

Profile of Cabrera
My line for failed trick "If I wasn't on Prozak I would care!"
"The quilt of life is woven with many different threads"
tony555
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of tony555
My line for a failed trick, "Tommy Cooper made a fortune doing tricks like this"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24252 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just one problem -- very few people on our side of the pond have any idea who Tommy Cooper was. Too bad. He was very funny.

My favorite is "OH @#$%, I @#$%^& up again!"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
This may be an out for a screw-up; I don't know.

I was assisting the late, great Frank Garcia ("The Man With The Million-Dollar Hands") and the idea was that the chosen card would appear face-up in a face-down, ribbon-spread deck.

When Frank spread the deck, the chosen card was face up -- but so were three other cards!

Without missing a beat, Frank pointed to the three indifferent cards and said, "These cards list the days of the month when I am allowed to do this trick" and then, pointing to the chosen card, he said, ". . . and this is your card."

It was so well done that no one there, myself included, was sure that it was a mistake; maybe it was supposed to happen that way, we thought. It wasn't until much later that I realized it was a superbly covered error!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Three years ago I was levitating myself with the Yogano chair levitation in front of a packed hotel ballroom at the PGA in West Palm Beach.

The chair malfunctioned-- when it reached the highest point the gimmick didn't reverse and I found myself stuck in the fully-levitated position. (To this day, my assistants get the giggles imitating the look on my face when THAT happened).

There was no way to cover the screw-up-- all I could do was find a way to get out without exposing the secret. I could have jumped off, but that would have revealed the gimmick. So, one of my assistants came out and tilted the chair back so that I ended up laying on my back on the floor. We covered the chair with a cloth and I jumped up.

The only words I could bring myself to say were:

"Well, folks, looks like that one just got voted off the island."

As long as Survivor stays on TV, feel free to use that line!

Avi
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
"And the silk is gone!" Open your hands and the thumbtip tumbles to the ground.

"Whoops."
cardman1990
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of cardman1990
If you drop something you can call it a floor show
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Mac King's Line:

"That would have been cool though!"
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
Gladys! Start the car! I'll be there in a minute!! - Aldo Columbini

S. Patrick
Fan of the Cafe
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of Fan of the Cafe
No one said my favorite when something goes awry:

Well,...mistakes do happen.
My parents said that's how I got here.

:)
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12071 Posts

Profile of John C
If it is a card trick and I mess up a few times or maybe the spectator is trying to mess me up and I don't want to tell them that I am 100% certain that that was their card I do this:

"What day is this?" I ask.

"Saturday." comes the reply.

"Oh, well, that's the problem. On Saturday I can only have you select a card I can't find it. On Saturday I have these guys find the card."

After saying that I pull out my baseball cards (a trick from Myer Yedid) and go into that trick where the baseball player ends up with the selected card right in the baseball card.

It works great and they think that it was planned...I hope!

Sometimes if I had mess up I actually absurdly mess up a few more times then ask the question.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
One night at a church show, I had three Fantasio vanishing candles set up in a candleabra. I picked up the first one, put a silk over it, wisked the silk away... and the tiny thing left over after you vanish the candle went rolling across the stage. I couldn't believe I'd missed catching it.

I grabbed the second one. Same result. The audience is starting to titter.

Third candle, same result. I missed catching all three candles.

As the third one rolled away, I looked up at the audience and said, "You know, I've always hated that gravity thing."

They roared, and I took the Fantasio candles out of the show when I got home.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
A friend of mine made this up on the spot when a trick went wrong, "Now, while I pretend to mess up a trick, my assistant is leading an elephant into the other room."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Funny line for a failed trick... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL