The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Michael Skinner performance of his Cups and Balls (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
887 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Yes, this is a wonderfully thoughtful and well produced manuscript with thoughtful commentary that goes way beyond the ordinary "ball goes from here to there, then you do this" sort of description. Thanks for the great work... and at a price that is more than reasonable for what if offered.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
The Micheal Skinner Cups and Balls Routine is now sold exclusive By Lybrary.com you will find it here http://www.lybrary.com/michael-skinners-......648.html
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2013, Jiceh wrote:
The fact is that in Vernon, Miller and Skinner's routines, there are a lot of similarities ...

It is not The Vernon Routine. It is Mike's handling for the Charlie Miller Impromptu Cups and Balls which was published in CLASSIC SECRETS OF MAGIC written by Bruce Elliot.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
For today's audiences, one could edit their routines down even more, making them shorter. Most guys go on too long because they can. Also, I always felt Al Baker had an influence on everybody at the time and about everything.
Finally, I too think there are ways to get into the ending without the expose' of the small ball handling.
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Is this manuscript still available anywhere? Didn’t find it at Lybrary.com.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2021, karnak wrote:
Is this manuscript still available anywhere? Didn’t find it at Lybrary.com.

I can answer this since I did have involvement in supplying the manuscript. Steve gave me the exclusive rights to it shortly after it was first published. At that time it was available via Lybrary.com

Steve has had problems with all of his manuscripts being sold on pirate sites. After years of this taking place Steve P. recently decided to pull all of his work. The Skinner IMPROMPTU CUPS and BALLS was of course pulled.

Skinner's routine is his handling for Charlie Miller's Impromptu routine which can be found in CLASSIC SECRETS OF MAGIC written by Bruce Elliot.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If anyone is interested in some unusual "Michael Skinner" material, there is a set of Conny Haden cups on the Potter and Potter auction Feb 27, 2021.

The history of this set is as follows:

When people started asking Lou Tannen for cups like Vernon was using (Paul Fox cups -- pre Danny Dew), Tannen commissioned Haden to produce the cups. Most of them were copper plated with silver. Tannen called them the "Slydini Cups," and he gave a set to Slydini as compensation. But Slydini wanted nothing to do with this, primarily because he was not a cups and balls worker.

He gave the cups to Michael Skinner, who, in turn, gave them to Roger Klause for his birthday at one of the Las Vegas magic seminars. Roger used them until he passed away,

I purchased them from his widow, Wanda, without knowing the story. Allen Okawa was the one who knew the history of these cups.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
74 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
The original link to this performance doesn't exist anymore. The video periodically appears and disappears from Youtube

Currently the routine under discussion appears and is discussed in this video from Aaron Fishers Conjuring Community. Begins at 5:52.

https://youtu.be/w030IJinUBo

The vanishes are what stand out for me. Incredible, and the marvellous scatter phase.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
You can see Skinner's cups and balls routine in volume two of the Legendary Repertoire of Michael Skinner DVD. Home videos of Skinner still in his prime performing in his Vegas condo.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Leo H seems to know his stuff. By the way, creating your own routine that is different from everyone else's is the way to make something that is your own. Forgive me for saying, but it isn't how well you do someone else's routine, but how you take your knowledge of magic and pick and choose things that work for you that are not the same as someone else's.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Michael Skinner has a version where he starts off with the Miller penetration sequence, then produces the three balls in an interesting way. He then goes into various transportations of the balls before the final load. It’s on one of the Skinner DVDs.

I really like the Miller sequence as an opener
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I don't have that DVD - only saw him on Carson, but is he using coffee cups or regular cups?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2022, gregg webb wrote:
I don't have that DVD - only saw him on Carson, but is he using coffee cups or regular cups?

Regular cups and a wand. Very different type of routine. I learned the opening Miller sequence and ball production.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thank you. I learned Open Travelers from watching him on the Carson Show, (Tonight Show) and Han Ping Chien and he used his ring for the odd coin. For the cups with coffee cups he used olives or cherries and a table knife (butter knife) for the wand. I forgot what his ending load was - lemons I guess. Ricky Jay felt it was important to have three different fruit. Lemon, onion and potato or something.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Michael Skinner performance of his Cups and Balls (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL