The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Dry ice maker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
I was going to make my own dry ice with a CO2 bottle and a special valve that connects to a bag.

The dry ice produced is not compressed - therefore, doesn't last as long.

Will it last 12 hours if I wrap it with cloth twice and place it in a cooler that is not air tight.

Martini
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Hi,
It will depend on how much you make and if you do anything to compress it slightly. One of the things you can do to make sure it last a long time is to buy a small Thermos. I use block dry ice and break off chunks. The chunks will last overnight, although they will about half in size. Not too sure about conserving dry ice flakes (which is what your method produces). If you are using a siphon valve, remember you will be getting lots of refills. There is only a small amount of liquid CO2 in a pressure vessel. So hopefully you can find a use for the 80-90% of CO2 that is gas that you can't use to "make" dry ice. The other important consideration is how large of a container you use. If you choose something smaller, you could just make the dry ice on location and not have to worry about it.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7554 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Let me try to tell you about dry ice. I have found that the portable unit do not produce a good quality dry ice. It is more like a snow that you pack tight to make it last longer. It is expensive to make as there is a lot of waste of the liquid CO2. The siphon valve tank is not cheap and as mentioned is not an efficient use of the CO2.

On the other hand, it is really pretty easy to handle dry ice. I use it all the time in my act. I do not need huge chuck light a dry ice machine so I can get way with carrying my own. Depending on the ambient temperature, it effects how fast it evaporates. Get the largest chuck of dry ice you can. I usually get a couple chucks about 2-3" thick and 8" x 10". I wrap it in newspaper and put it a soft zippered thermal case. Then I put it in a larger cooler and place lot of crumbled newspapers in the cooler around it to displace the rest of the air. The cooler cannot be air tight or the gas will force it open. I have held dry ice in this fashion for 5 days. Added bonus is you can keep travel food with it in the cooler just not right against it or it will freeze. Pack a pair of gloves, a little chisel and small hammer to break off chucks. I handle dry ice with my hands if done quickly but it is not recommended.

Where do I get dry ice? Look under welding gas suppliers. They will often sell the dry ice as they supply the gas. The commercially made dry ice is much harder and will last a lot longer than the homemade type. I have a valve I bought to use and have never used it yet. I have always been able to find dry ice that gave better results and a cheaper price.

Also look for ice cream stores. Some grocery stores receive good packed in dry ice. It takes a little hunting but it is worth the effort.

My atomic cocktail shaker routine is less than spectacular without it. It is worth the effort. But if it was easy everyone would do it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
985 Posts

Profile of algebraic
Richard,

Thank you for the post on dry ice!
lemartini1050
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of lemartini1050
Thanks for the info - I now know what I need to do.
I apologize for the delay - I have been very busy lately.

Thanks,

Martin
mikewarner
View Profile
New user
US
100 Posts

Profile of mikewarner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Dry ice maker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL