We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rapid prototyping, anyone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I have an idea that I've been wanting to develop for a while but I need a company that makes small-run molded plastic items. Small runs, as in enough to try out the market before dumping some serious money into it.

However, a search thru the Web turns up hundreds if not thousands of companies that "seem" to do that, plus "inventor help" plus this that and something else. Does anyone have experience with a real company that does small runs without wanting to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm reaching on this, but you might try contacting Howie Diddot here in the Café. He had some special parts made for a gumball machine he produced and which I purchased from him a few years ago. Good quality. He had a local small manufacturer make his special parts; he may be able to help you. Admittedly, a shot in the dark, but hey, what the heck. Howie's in San Francisco area I believe and he's a nice person.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Any chance it could be 3-D printed?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2919 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Thanks. I'll try Howie.

Tom - 3D printing is certainly an option, if I can find a company that's set up to do small runs at a reasonable price. I'm looking for maybe 25 pieces or so. The question becomes, would it be cheaper to go w/ one of these companies or to buy a small 3D printer and write it off to R&D. Smile
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
George- Makerbot's selling their newer 3D printers for $2,200-$2,800 (+$350 maintenance package.) You should probably be able to get away with the lower end one, unless you need dual filament (which you likely will not.) I haven't seen their Replicator models in action, but they come assembled and ready to go, with only a one week lead time. http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2.html

Whether that'll be cheaper in the long run than having a prototyping company do it is up to you, but if you plan on making a bunch of prototypes for this and other projects, it might be worth the investment.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rapid prototyping, anyone? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL