The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Close up collectors magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
I no longer do close up shows, sold most of my close up effects and have gotten into collecting mini magic by Alan Warner,Magic Wagon and various collectors effects. Any suggests what other areas I missing for close up collector effects.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Reed! Welcome to the Café! Smile

I like the hand-made wooden items from Clarence Miller. The Big Box, The Little Box and The Finger Chopper come to mind. I have The Little Box and a rare, locking Lippencott that I both treasure!

Doug
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22446 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Reed, you cannot get into the Secret section yet, you have to have 50 posts (there is a long discussion going on there currently), but you might be interested in a place in The Magic Wagon owned by an Englishman Tony Curtis. He lives in Taiwan or one of those Asian Countries and makes all kinds of collectable and working magic tricks in wood and leather.

http://www.magic-wagon.com/index.asp
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
Thanks guys. Cant want to get to 50 posts!
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of algebraic
You need to have a chat with Café member George Guerra. He has the most beautiful close-up collection. I'd love to have his collection!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22446 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
When you do get your 50 posts - click on this address:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=37&349
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
WOW, thanks for the compliment, algebraic. Reed is an old friend and we have corresponded in the past.

Aside from Alan Warner, there is also
1 - Mel Babcock who released several beautiful mini items in exotic woods
2 - Kent Bergmann with his zebra wood based mini line, but he seems to have vanished
3 - Jim Riser released a few mini versions of classic effects but we're extremely limited (1 or 2 only)
4 - Eddie Taytelbaum of course
5 - Zauberzentrale (Volt) --> a most beautiful Mini Blue Phantom
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3386 Posts

Profile of Julie
Vienna Magic makes (made?) some very nice micro magic, too.

Julie
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
188 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Mark Teufel has made some stunning peices in the past and are well worth a look. I have his zig-zag coin in Zebra wood. It's one of those peices that you can just play with over and over and marvel and the engineering. Stunning!

Nick
www.dark-artifacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted hauntiques. The Uninvited, Deathwatch, The Gift, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3386 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Nick

I'd forgotten about Mark Teufel. Smile I have only one of his offerings: an early paddle with geometric shapes/colors. It's great from a design point of view, but I have never figured out a reasonable (read "entertaining") presentation for this gem...

Julie
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Mark Teufel lives close to me in Santa Monica (California) and I drove over to his home to pick up a zebra wood Zig Zag but was more impressed with his Teufel Chop Cup made in several exotic woods
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
OK I have a question for discussion since Mark Teufel was mentioned.

What constitute "mini-magic"? Where does it become "close-up" or "pocket" magic and not mini-magic. I can see very small version of well known larger items fitting this description (and Babcock fits this rule well) but what about other unique items with no parlor or stage versions in existence and Warner fits this. It is simply all about size?
Nick Birch
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
188 Posts

Profile of Nick Birch
Hi Julie

That's the thing with a lot of collectable magic, be it mini magic, micro, close up or whatever - often they end up as magical whimsies that I wouldn't necessarily perform with. They are beautiful collectors items that we enjoy personally and show other magicians, or 'mantiques' as I explain to my wife!

Interesting question George. I generally view mini-magic as self contained effects using small scale apparatus specifically designed and manufactured for the purpose. Sometimes they can be scaled down versions of larger items, like Babcock as you mention, or be specifically designed as small illusions like Taytelbaum items. I'd also place some Magic Wagon, Francois Danis and Schwarzman items in the mini-magic category. Close up or pocket magic is differentiated because it can utilise every day (full size) items such as rings, rubber bands, coins, cards etc. Just my thoughts.

Nick
www.dark-artifacts.com

Purveyors of the finest handcrafted hauntiques. The Uninvited, Deathwatch, The Gift, Whiteface, Satan's Circus
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1547 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 12:54, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Reed, you cannot get into the Secret section yet, you have to have 50 posts (there is a long discussion going on there currently), but you might be interested in a place in The Magic Wagon owned by an Englishman Tony Curtis. He lives in Taiwan or one of those Asian Countries and makes all kinds of collectable and working magic tricks in wood and leather.

http://www.magic-wagon.com/index.asp

Just for the record, I don't own Magic Wagon but I do help them with new effects and answering questions on the Café.

Tony
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Close up collectors magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL