The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I'm a young man (it doesn't feel fair to use magician considering my skill level and time in the art) who has been learning magic over the past few months. While I've been interested in magic since I was a child (I remember buying a Stripper Deck and a small box that, when a coin is inserted and put into a sleeve, slides the coin into the box, making it disappear). Recently I starting watching Penn & Teller: Fool Us on YouTube and renewed my fascination with magic. After an encounter with a magician at the Bristol Renaissance Faire, who's book I bought, I now study with that magician. He has been teaching me simple tricks but the difficult psychology and moves that go with them to make them look amazing.

I am fascinated by card and close up magic. I love seeing the expressions on peoples faces when they are genuinely fooled (The only person I can get that look from is my grandma, who, admittedly, is pretty easy to fool). I've been reading through the history of magic with various internet sources and Christopher's Illustrated History of Magic. I've also been flipping through various other books, such as Marks Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, The Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert at the Card Table, and Modern Coin Magic. However, I have mostly stopped reading those to focus on the few tricks I can do and not over extend myself and ruin myself. I really enjoy the psychology of magic and its effects on people.

Anyway, I've been lurking on here for a few months and finally wanted to introduce myself to the community at large and get to know people. Edit: I also wanted to include a thank you for this community. Everything I've looked at and read is amazing. I don't think I've quite seen such a community of people online who treat each other with respect and dignity. I am glad to be a part of it. I hope I can one day contribute a fraction of what I'm sure this group will provide.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Steven Webb,

We were all new at one time.

Keep a journal with dates of the effects you are working on and when you feel they are ready to perform for others.
It will be a fun and helpful read later.

You are right to try and keep focused on a few effects at a time.

Don't forget to try and find a local Magic Club.

-Mary Mowder
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
Thanks for the welcome. The journal idea is great and I think I shall do that. I have been looking for a club but the nearest ones are a little far. I guess that is a problem when you live in the boonies. Anyways, thanks again. Cheers!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Welcome Steven,
You will have a great time here at the Café.
You are very smart for getting A few tricks down well than to try and learn all the different tricks out there.
You have a great attitude re the art of magic so it's a pleasure you have joined us.
Jim
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
Welcome to the Café Steve. This is the place to learn and grow.
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Greetings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL