The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Staying organized while developing a new show - Im too sloppy. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
So. When I'm trying to create a new show. I make a file on my computer and name it "Close-up Act".

Then I open up a word doc and start to try and list the effects that I like, and that I want to use in my show, Whenever I have an idea to transition from one trick to another or some idea, I Tab over below the effect and put in my notes. But then Ill run into a problem, whatever that may be, I cant do 2 deck switches back to back, or these two tricks wont fit in sequence, etc. It could be anything.

So what Ill do is open up a new word doc and title it. Close-up 2, and put the original on one half, and the new one on the second half, and try and re-write and re-work the routine on "paper" (computer) to try and get it to flow correctly.

Well long story short, I end up with 30-40 revisions of the same "act" and it gets to the point where its too hard to open up ALL of the files, and try and browse though them, finding all the little bits and pieces of ideas from each of the documents. It tends to get a bit out of control.

So I am curious. How do you guys go about organizing your thoughts and ideas while designing a new routine.. Do you even try and write it all down frist and then practice? or do you just play with your props and make little notes here and there? Or maybe you just make a huge list of all the effects you like, and start to play with everything.

But ultimately, the goal is to end up with 1 word.doc that is Titled "Close-up Show" that has the list of routines, in sequence that you want to do in that act. and then a separate word.doc for each routine, that contains the patter for that specific routine.

Anyone have some ideas that might help me keep my ideas from getting so "scattered" all over the place with tons of half-written routines that is peppered with random good ideas here and there that I just need to dig though to try and remember, cus its not like I can honestly remember all the ideas I write down at 2:30am 2 weeks ago on that random word.doc.

If I had to guess, I feel that maybe sometimes I try and apply all the theory, ideas, creative touches that I have read about and studied and cram it all into this word doc.. Maybe I am going about it the wrong way and I should just pick a couple routines I like, and do them, not worring about how they flow, or trying to put call-backs, or foreshadowing into the routine, or making the effects seem seamless as I transition from one effect to the other..

Plain and simple, I need help learning how to create entire shows.

Thanks for any tips or advice fellas!
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Microsoft OneNote. I think it will really help you. I never see it mentioned here, but its pretty darned nice. And set it up on a cloud and you not only have your stuff on your computer but a tablet and phone as well to record those quick little notes and ideas to flesh out later.

Standup act 1
____routine 1 (effect name)
____routine 2 (effect name)
____routine 3 (effect name)

Standup act 2

Closeup act 1

Ideas
____idea for effect

Funny stuff and bits of business
____joke
____bit for calling audience up (stand right there, yes right over that trap door)

Can copy easily and use drag and drop to change order of routines....put links to those youtube videos or audio or video, etc.

Works like a charm. Hope this helps.
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
WhoDeanie
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of WhoDeanie
Btw....you see my schematic on one screen in OneNote, which makes what you seem to want to do really really easy. And create your own template when you get started so it will be uniform throughout.

Having looked at and gone thru other folks suggestions on this topic I do believe this method is by far the best.
Magically yours,

Dean Burgess
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
Ill check this out, thanks a ton bud!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Staying organized while developing a new show - Im too sloppy. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL