The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Close up magic books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Hi I just started to get interested in books so I don't really know where to start can someone recommend me a good close up magic book and could you list the sort of contents found in the book. Thanks
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
In the "New to Magic" section, there is a sticky section on recommended books. You should start there.

Hudson
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Thanks
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Culd you list some as there is lots of pages. I have read the first art of astonishment and could do most of it so I'm that sort of level
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don Alan's two books (Close-Up Time & Pretty Sneaky) are great starters, then the Dai Vernon Book of Magic. This will give you a year's supply of top material.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22821 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I suggest you purchase the other 2 volumes of Art of Astonishment.

Then the Encyclopedia of Close-up magic by Walter Gibson.

This stuff should keep you busy for a few years.

I not you said read, aren't you interested in performing. Material in magic books have to be learned and practiced, then shown to see the true value of the material. Simply reading will not give you the full picture of what the author is teaching.

Dai Vernon said, "learn 6 tricks" very well and you will have material for a long time.
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
I am interested in performing not really confident enough to show everyone just friends and family so I need new tricks so I can show "something new".
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
As the editor and photographer of The Art of Astonishment trilogy I can say that if you're up to speed on most of Volume One you already have quite a repertoire!

Get Volume Two and Three and you will have enough material to last a lifetime!

As I've always said...You can make a living with those three books!

Oh, and get out there and perform for other than your family and friends. You will never have confidence unless you get out there and build it. The reactions will certainly build your confidence more than your "captive" audience.

Best of luck!

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
2667 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
'The Magic Book' by Harry Lorayne.

Without any doubt whatsoever, the greatest book EVER on workable, commercial close-up routines with coins, cards and other everyday items.

This was my Christmas present in 1978, and 35 years down the line, I promise you that I am still learning from it. It gave me a passion for close-up magic, particularly with coins, that has held me in good stead to this day.

Just to add that it sells for an unbelievably low price, whilst actually being worth it's weight in gold.

TRULY, UNRESERVEDLY RECOMMENDED!
Barry Allen

Joe Riding (1932 - 2005). "I still miss you mate".
https://magicweek.co.uk/magic_articles/article_joe_riding.htm
Kit Higginson
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Kit Higginson
Another ESSENTIAL read is Al Schneider's recent work The Theory and Practice of Magic Deception.

It includes not only some superb close-up material but, more importantly, offers Al Schneider's deep insights into the psychology behind why and how magic works in the mind of the spectator. In addition, there is an emphasis on the discipline required to master not only magic, but any other activity you may endeavor to perfect.

It's available via Amazon.com. You can preview the book including chapter headings at the following link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Theory-Practic......66206497

Cheers,

Kit
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Quote:
Get Volume Two and Three and you will have enough material to last a lifetime!

Just as a side note I'm not surprised I went through the first book and marked stuff I might use at some point learn given the right conditionsi would perform them, longshot for some such as orange, but I counted and I got 25 tricks and I've done this with other books and realised just how good value it is per good trick which is why I would like to get into books
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1532 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Art of Close-Up vols 1&2 by Lewis Ganson, recently reprinted I believe.

And Stars of Magic.

Barry
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Ok here's a question which do you prefer the definitive sankey books or the art of astonishment books
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Don't run after "new" effects like a mad dog. Become a magician

Darwin Ortiz: Designing Miracles
The Magic of Ascanio Vol 1
Al Schneider's Magic
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6005 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 05:48, Torquay22 wrote:
Ok here's a question which do you prefer the definitive sankey books or the art of astonishment books
The Sankey books because there's a greater variety of magic in them.

The new Kaufman book Japan Ingenious is also excellent.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Close up magic books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL