The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rabbit Puppet Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gjfarmer
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
14 Posts

Profile of gjfarmer
My dad used to do a trick with a rabbit puppet that's inside of a top hat. The trick is a spectator chooses a card, places it in the deck, the deck is then dropped into the top hat with the puppet rabbit. After a period of gags and a bit of comedy, the rabbit finds the chosen card. Does anyone know the name of this trick and if anyone sells it?
gjfarmer
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
14 Posts

Profile of gjfarmer
Here are some photos.

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
It was called "Out Of My Hat". If I remember correctly, a guy named Charles first put it out. I think it came out in the late '40s or early '50s, but don't quote me on that.

Bill Hegbli might very well have more detailed information.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
gjfarmer
View Profile
New user
South Carolina
14 Posts

Profile of gjfarmer
Yes that is it. Found it here: http://www.abbottmagic.com/Out-Of-My-Hat-ABBoutomh.htm
Does anyone know of any other versions available?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Abbott's put it iout years ago. There are from time to time rabbit in hat puppets. Most of them do not allow you to take the rabbit all the way inside the hat. Dankin makes some like that. Do a goggle or ebay search for rabbit in hat puppet.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
I have Abbott's Out of My Hat puppet and it came with a brief explanation of the trick. I don't believe the trick had a name but it's a pretty simple trick involving a force of your choice. If you need more info, PM me.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have the rabbit in the hat.
But don't know who made it.I have
had it about 6 years though.
Todd
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Dick Oslund, I will give what I know about this kiddie effect.

Well, everyone pretty much answered the same as I would have. I had Abbott's Out Of My Hat, played well for the toddlers. As said no real routine given, just an idea of maybe something to do. Don Alan's is probably the closest and it is free on line, his was with a Monkey In a Basket called Stanley, but download it here for a place to start.

http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/inside......nley.htm

There are other nicer Rabbit in Hats around, but they are more expensive. There is even one sold on eBay from China, that looks cute. I have ordered a number of tricks and Electronics from China, and have always gotten exactly what I ordered within 3 weeks.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Dan Garrett also does a great version of this.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2013-09-18 22:42, hugmagic wrote:
Dan Garrett also does a great version of this.

Published?
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Have one for sale on my list-- C.H. Mara
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Spellbinder's "Silent Partner" routine in The Wizards' Journal #15 is all about using a variety of hand puppets without ventriloquism being involved (Silent Partners) and his e-Book include's Ken Allen's 1957 routine for the "Monkey in the Basket" which has lots of bits of business for a puppet (it doesn't have to be a monkey puppet), as well as Frances Ireland Marshall's routine ideas with a Rabbit Puppet, and Spellbinder's own routine for as "Rudy Reindeer" Puppet. The emphasis in all of these is to show how to perform with a hand puppet that doesn't make a sound, although suggestions are given for squeaks and other off noises that can be made without employing any ventriloquism skills. But all of the card discovery bits of business are there as well.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't think Dan has sold his routine.
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Axtell sells a few great DVD's that show magic with puppets. One is the Colin Dymond one, the other is Steve Petra's. Young kids don't get magic with cards, so I wouldn't do the card thing for young kids.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
It was called "Out Of My Hat". If I remember correctly, a guy named Charles first put it out. I think it came out in the late '40s or early '50s, but don't quote me on that.

Bill Hegbli might very well have more detailed information.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the interest of MAGIC HISTORY - the "CHARLES OUT OF MY HAT" puppet (which has been ripped-off by most everyone) was invented by CHARLES Sylber - who ran a magic shop in the heart of Hollywood, Ca....and later in Riverside, Ca.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Kids don't have to know much about cards, they only have to be able to tell one from the other. I don't think they have to know how to play Bridge or Poker to look at a playing card. They do have to know their numbers of course.

If it really upsets anyone, then just get an Old Maid or Animals deck of game cards. Most of the young ones will recognize them.

Sorry, I am not that old, Dick Oslund is older then I am. I am not to much on history. You see, I actually bought and performed what I talk and know about, I turned over my mass magic props 4 times in my life. It's fun to get down you your knees and kneel next to a little girl or boy and see their faces smile and their eyes light up. I could hardly keep it together when a little girl, maybe 3 or 4 stood up among the children and said, "Hi, Mr. Rabbit." Then giggled.

If you like kids just do this, I use to do the funny find a card trick with the puppet, adults laugh their heads off as well, then I did the shrinking Ireland Golf Ball. I believe their is a shrinking Billiard Ball from India being sold on the market.

I still have an $80 Rabbit In Hat I bought back in the mid 80's. It is superior. A very large colorful top hat with large white rabbit. The rabbit is Velcroed into the hat for cleaning, and turning the hat inside out for another design on the hat.

The rabbits will fit in the hat that Abbott sells, when I had it, I would curve the rabbit around inside with his body and ears making a kind of circle around the inside of the hat. My hand could still fit into the puppet, even with the ball and a deck of cards.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Bill, do you have any details about the routine you can share (including bits of business)? Or, if it's still being marketed, perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Rob
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Andy Walker put out a dvd with his routine on it. I think that it only sold for $10, but it's a worker. He also has some routines up on Youtube that yo might want to check out.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Moxahalla! Thanks for the info. on Charles' surname. I always like to give credit to another magician!

I bought one years ago (Abbott's, I think) It was ALWAYS well received. I can't remember why I dropped it--maybe I just wore it out!

For BILL HEGBLI AND robvh>>>>>>

Here's a 'GAG' that I adlibbed one day when I was doing it: After introducing the "little beast", (My other hand was supporting the hat)I would tell the kids that the bunny would find the card. The bunny would whisper in my ear. I put my ear down close to hear him. Then I told the kids: "He will do it, but he wants a carrot, first!" So, I would reply to the bunny: "OK! You hold the hat, and I'll get a carrot." The bunny would reach over and hold the brim of the hat! (defying gravity?)as I reached for a small prop carrot. As I "fumbled" for the carrot in my pocket, I would say: "Careful! DON'T DROP THE HAT!"

If that sort of nonsense fits your style, your most welcome!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thanks Dick ... great gag. I'll bet the it gets the parents laughing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rabbit Puppet Trick (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL