The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spray rubber (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Question - I am thinking about finishing a prop with a spray coat that is like rubber. It's basically a spray that turns into rubber after it's on so that it doesn't scratch later. The trick will be making sure that the finish is nice and smooth so that the spray goes on even and smooth. Supposedly this should be much more durable than finishing a prop with something like a laminate or formica or something. It won't chip or scratch… So my question is, why don't builders typically use this sort of thing?

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
You can also try sherwin williams auto paint that you can roll on, not all stores carry the commercial line. the results on wood and metal are amazing. BUT with either the auto or spray on rubber, the trick is go light and give a good 24 hours to cure, not just dry.
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Spray rubber works great. I have been using it for years. Table tops, outside of custom made suitcase tables inside of tables also. Helps if you get caught in rain
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Ah cool. Thx guys.

thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
There are a few types of this product available. Most of them are black, there are some formulas now that come clear. The most recent are the "water block" rubber seal sprays. They work pretty well, a lot depends on the substrate you are applying it to. For the toughest (and ugliest) rubber, truck bed rubber coating is VERY durable, but difficult to come out with a smooth surface.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
If you're talking about the spray Plasti-dip, I don't think it will be more durable than formica. Home Depot had a display set up where they had sprayed a wheelbarrow rim with the stuff and while the finish looked nice, it just wasn't tough- it could be peeled off and would gouge easily. I had always wondered about the durability as well, ever since I found an ad that showed people who Plasti-dip their entire car. The pictures looked great and supposedly the advantage over paint is that although the Plasti-dip is supposed to last a long time, it can be peeled off when you're ready to restore the car to it's original color.

So, I'd say given the option, use formica. I covered a prop in laminate last night and there's just no way you're going to get a nicer, smoother finish.
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Ive got aresol clear rubber coating -- respond if you want me to track down the source
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
I have several of my cases sprayed with Rhino liner, used for truck beds. My buddy owns a franchise. It's come in several colors but he only sprays black. You have to buy 55 gallon barrels at a time.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 14:55, freefallillusion1 wrote:
If you're talking about the spray Plasti-dip, I don't think it will be more durable than formica. Home Depot had a display set up where they had sprayed a wheelbarrow rim with the stuff and while the finish looked nice, it just wasn't tough- it could be peeled off and would gouge easily. I had always wondered about the durability as well, ever since I found an ad that showed people who Plasti-dip their entire car. The pictures looked great and supposedly the advantage over paint is that although the Plasti-dip is supposed to last a long time, it can be peeled off when you're ready to restore the car to it's original color.

So, I'd say given the option, use formica. I covered a prop in laminate last night and there's just no way you're going to get a nicer, smoother finish.

Honestly, from your post it seems Plasti-dip would be the way to go! Why use formica if Plasti-dip is more durable? Thoughts?

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-24 18:17, Matt Adams wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-21 14:55, freefallillusion1 wrote:

Honestly, from your post it seems Plasti-dip would be the way to go! Why use formica if Plasti-dip is more durable? Thoughts?

Sorry if I wasn't clear- what I meant was that the ad claims that the Plasti-dip is a durable covering for a car, but based on what I saw with the display, it was less than convincing. If you were to cover an entire base in this stuff, you would begin to see scuffs and gouges fairly soon. I recently applied formica to a surface of a prop that will see a lot of action- this surface will have objects repeatedly slid back and forth on top of it. Plasti-dip would not hold up, and with a painted surface, it would be difficult to acheive the necessary durability. Formica is a perfect smooth, flat surface and will hold up far longer than any other option I know of. Also, the underlying surface doesn't have to be perfect to apply laminate. Yes, it needs to be reasonably flat, but a screw hole here and there doesn't matter.

Now, that said, if it's a base we're talking about, I would still go with the time proven covering of vinyl. Affordable, easy to work with, and gives a nice surface.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I was wondering about using Pasti-dip instead of felt to line tubes and the small bottles for multiplying bottles.
Would this cut down on the noise?

Thom
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
A great alternative is Fleckstone spray paint. This has the outcome of a grainy/rocklike look to it. This comes in all colors and reasonable. Let this dry completely for at least 24 hrs. then spray clear coat paint over it to seal, this is very durable and covers any imperfections, etc.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-25 04:54, Thom Bliss wrote:

I was wondering about using Pasti-dip instead of felt to line tubes and the small bottles for multiplying bottles.

Thom

You might want to do a test run and see if it would hold up but yes, I think it would definitely help dampen the noise issue. One area where Plasti-dip has come in handy for me was a SubTrunk cloth. This is the three-quarter surrounded style, and our switch ends with me throwing the cloth off to the side. There are three pieces of PVC pipe that run along the top edge so that the cloth holds its shape. Well, in a very short tine, the cloth was developing holes where the ends of the pipe were striking the ground each time. So, I reinforced those areas of the fabric with Plasti-dip and it has held up beautifully for years. The formula soaks right into the fabric and can be built up in multiple coats, yet remains flexible. Yes, it's scuffed and scratched, but the cloth is a velvet pattern to begin with so in this case, it matches well.
Jonathan Gold
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
38 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Gold
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 04:54, Thom Bliss wrote:

Thom

I think the plasti-dip would probably create too much friction causing the bottles to hang up insted of sliding smoothly. Try it out and report back... for science!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spray rubber (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL