The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford's The Syndrome Deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It says "Based on a new principle, Docc Hilford’s Syndrome Deck gimmick can be applied to any deck of playing cards in less than 3 minutes at home or at a show!"

http://www.nanacast.com/syndrome-deck

Docc says "The Syndrome Deck will be the most talked about, most pirated and most used gimmicked deck since Brainwave".

"There are virtually 1000s of effects possible.

You instantly know any card chosen.
You can instantly find any card chosen.
You can control a spectator’s choice of color.
The deck can be used in any normal card effect.
The Syndrome Deck is an EXAMINABLE, SHUFFLE-ABLE deck of cards that enables you to perform at least a 1000 different effects!

A gimmicked deck of cards can make a reputation for a mentalist or magician. Look at Brainwave and the Ultra Mental or Invisible deck. It’s almost impossible to beat them for direct effect and clean operation - but the Syndrome Deck beats them! Because it’s EXAMINABLE.

fully explained on a 25 minute MP4 video.

It includes a full hour MP3 audio Doccinar of deeper handlings and more presentations.

And finally a follow up LIVE conference call to answer any questions you have about the deck. (A $19 value)

All of this plus the most exciting deck in years ... Only $19 for a limited time.

BONUS - Included in the hour Doccinar is an exclusive method of revealing any UNWRITTEN question with a single playing card! A presentation that works with the Syndrome Deck like magic!

The SYNDROME DECK Q&A is included FREE.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I dove in head first ( Scaredy Cats test the water with their toes first;-) OK, it's Docc HIldord and it's only $19 ( Docc offers the discount first and raises the price later ) so it's was easy to jump in. I know from other Docc products I have and use, that the price of this will go up.

First off, I've wanted/looked for a deck like this for 30 years, just not knowing what I was looking for. I use a stack/memorized deck and I'm switching to the Syndrome ( I took a Mandolin deck and applied the principle in under 10 minutes for the first one and under 5 minutes for the 2nd deck ). I followed Docc on the video and it worked perfect, right off the bat. I shuffled the deck, cut it, moved the cut to card aside and I knew what it was before I moved it to the side.

So without a memorized stack or marked deck, I will know what card they chose, from a deck of 52 plus the joker. From a Magician standpoint, this is platinum. Not only the speed, but no need to buy marked decks ( which can be expensive ). You can perform card magic miracles with a stacked, SHUFFLED deck.

If this had been just marketed for Magicians, it wouldn't be long before someone with a mentalist background found applications to that field. Docc got everyone covered with it.

The 25 minute video starts off with Docc doing a reading with the deck, just for the camera. I've seen him do reading in person with cards and this is basically what he does ( Docc teaches what he uses ). Of course I was trying to figure out the deck, but the shuffling threw me off. No memorized/stack deck can be shuffled like this.

In the video he explains the deck and you can following along and have one ready within minutes.

Then there's a 1 hr. audio where Docc goes into advanced work using the Syndrome. Docc took time to answer the modern consumers "but what if..." questions before they get to ask them;-)

The highlight, for me, is the bonus of doing an UNWRITTEN Q&A with the Syndrome deck. This was worth the price of admission.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just purchased. EXCITED!!
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Made this up in 8-10 minutes. Great thinking. This is my first order from Docc. I very much enjoy this format of a short video and then a long MP3.

I'm 10 minutes into the MP3, but I am really loving this so far. Great thinking.

Just to be clear, this is a stacked deck that can be shuffled and cut by the magician or spectator. The order changes with each shuffle, yet it is still stacked.

Obviously, it can't really take place of a memorized deck because the order changes, but you can perform pretty much any stacked deck routine using this deck. I'm liking it so far.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Just finished the podcast.

This deck can also control a card in a VERY fair matter. You can dribble the cards and have the card returned and immediately have them shuffle and cut the deck, and you can instantly name the card they chose AND produce it from wherever you want. (Or just to the top)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
52 cards and a joker, where the order changes with each shuffle, but it's still stacked. Book(s) could be written just on this deck.

Many specialty decks naturally have their limitations, but you make choices/certain concessions based on what you want to accomplish. Nothing wrong with trade offs if the outcome is to knock their socks off.

I can't find any trade offs or concessions with the Syndrome Deck, because t's a full deck and can be used for whatever else you use a deck for.
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
116 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
Just ordered this based on your recommandations guys. I've watched the video and can't decide if I like or not but it is indeed very versatile.

I'm sure the podcast will be very helpful and interesting though.

J.
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 04:34, Jeremie Leroi wrote:
Just ordered this based on your recommandations guys. I've watched the video and can't decide if I like or not but it is indeed very versatile.

I'm sure the podcast will be very helpful and interesting though.

J.

Can you post a link to the demo video please.

Barry
Jeremie Leroi
View Profile
Regular user
Paris, France
116 Posts

Profile of Jeremie Leroi
I don't think there is one Barry. But the posts here describe it perfectly. I'm really not sure a demo video is needed for this...
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
What are the shipping costs ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I posted this in Penny, but thought I would post it here:

-------------------------------

Ok, this sounds interesting. I still want to know what the tradeoffs of the Syndrome deck are compared to stacked and memorized decks? If there is any of course. For those who own it, is there any advantage for using a stacked or memorized deck instead of a syndrome? What about marked decks? Is the price of marked decks the only advantage over the Syndrome deck?

After all, marked and syndrome will require your deck to be in play. Marked deck can be shuffled, dropped, cut, and even be incomplete, and the mechanism will not change. A card taken out will immediately be known by the performer. The spectator can go through the deck, pick whatever they want, and the performer knows the card.

I am just interested in knowing how the Syndrome deck beats the marked deck in areas other than price (which is still important).

And reading the description page, I would love to know how clean is the "only card missing" effect?

Also, how well can you transition from a normal deck effect to the syndrome deck? I mean can one alternate between normal card effects and effects using the syndrome? With stacked and memorized deck, that is usually not possible unless then effect is designed to retain the order or one knows how to get back to the order without raising suspicions. (Of course, with marked cards, that is not a problem at all because the method is stack independent)

I know I asked many questions but I would love to make an informed purchase especially with the availability of other affordable options on the market (and in my repertoire).

And if the answers border over exposure, please feel free to PM me.

-------------------------------
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
I've watched the video and can't decide if I like or not

Can you explain why, if possible ?
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
923 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 05:32, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
I've watched the video and can't decide if I like or not

Can you explain why, if possible ?

I second that request Jeremie.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Hey ash,

It beats a marked deck because you can use it blindfolded. Plus you can have a card selected and pocketed with your back turned making it impossible to see any marks. The biggest advantage over a marked deck to me is that laymen are very aware of the existence of a marked deck. You can lead them off the garden path with this.

As I mentioned earlier, this can't really replace a memorized deck because you don't know the position of every card. However, I think you could use this for pretty much and stacked deck routine.

I'm also not sure what you mean about the transition between normal and stacked. You can use the stacked deck as a normal deck. Or if you get rid of the stack, you can reset it in under a minute.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Can you use this deck, stacked in your favorite memorized order, doing routines using your stack, and if the spectator wants to shuffle, let him do it, and continue with your knowledge about memorized deck magic ?
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Hey guys,
Anybody knows what is the difference with this and my Titanic Deck released on 2005?
Mine was also a great way of being able to mix a stacked deck.
p.s: I am not implying that it is similar I just want to know if they are similar or not.
Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 07:56, doriancaudal wrote:
Can you use this deck, stacked in your favorite memorized order, doing routines using your stack, and if the spectator wants to shuffle, let him do it, and continue with your knowledge about memorized deck magic ?

No. It can't replace a memorized deck as the order does actually change.

Quote:
On 2013-09-20 08:01, Titanas wrote:
Hey guys,
Anybody knows what is the difference with this and my Titanic Deck released on 2005?
Mine was also a great way of being able to mix a stacked deck.
p.s: I am not implying that it is similar I just want to know if they are similar or not.
Best regards,
Titanas

I'm not familiar with your deck.

Btw, this is a SUPER easy deck to calculate. Way easier than Si Stebbins or Eight Kings. It's almost as easy as a new deck order.
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Magic.Maddy,
Can you pm me your email and I ll send it to you right away?

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-09-20 08:19, Titanas wrote:
Magic.Maddy,
Can you pm me your email and I ll send it to you right away?

Best regards,
Titanas

Sure thing.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
This is identical to the titanic deck. I personally found a lot more usable routines in the titanic book.

Docc explains the method and the cold reading technique but Titanas had a ton of routines as well.

Looks like docc was beat to the punch
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford's The Syndrome Deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL