The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientific American Endorses GMO's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
http://classes.soe.ucsc.edu/cmpe080e/Spr......tive.htm

•StarLink corn
◦modified corn that was found in stores, which were never intended for human consumption. It was designed specifically for pig feed.

•GM crops have cost the United States an estimated $12 billion in farm subsidies, lost sales and product recalls due to transgenic contamination
•Massive failures in Bt Cotton up to 100% in India.

•Very little testing has been done on GM foods.
◦genetic engineering is a new field, and long term results are unclear
◦funding only given to tests which show positive results.

Gee sounds good to me Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2013-09-22 23:38, critter wrote:
Guess when you have an agenda to push it's easy to ignore the words "commercially sold." Laboratory testing is another story.

You are correct! I do have an agenda. My agenda is to do my best to stay safe and healthy. If you want to drink the cool aid, go ahead but I would rather have a free choice of what I put in my body.

Why does Government and Industry have the right to take away my freedom of choice? What are they afraid of? If I choose to use GMO's or choose not to use GMO's, why do you care? I can be right or wrong with my decision but it should be MY decision, not the Government or Monsanto (we know how great Roundup is for the Environment).
Iven Smile
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
K, you seem unaware that much of what you said there is also what I've been saying.
My disagreement has never been with the GMO labelling crowd, as I support such labelling. As I said before, my only issue is that when things are twisted, exaggerated, cherry-picked, or just made up then it weakens the argument for whichever side does it. Give people the truth and let them make an informed decision. But a person can't ignore half of what's out there while claiming to want the truth. I mean, they can... if they want...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
It's very nice that critter has a monopoly on the truth and knows BS when he see's it. I for one can only cross reference various sources and try to see who profits from stating THEIR truth.

In 1906 the U.S. was using Red Dye #2 and it wasn't until the 1970's that the FDA banned its use in America, and that was only because of much Soviet study that concluded that the dye caused cancer in rats. The FDA really did not want to ban the dye but decided to anyway due to public outcry. Big business was not happy with the FDA ban.

Dioxin was deemed safe to use on our public lands as a defoliate and still does. Dioxin aka: Agent Orange.

DDT is still made in America and sold to third world countries as a pesticide, although it is banned in America.

America still manufacture's, warehouse and sells nerve gas.

You bet I am not going to believe that GMO's are safe and nothing to worry about. I choose to err on the side of safety but I don't really have that option because that choice is taken away from me from the power's to be. The very powers that profit and have been "mistaken" in the past about the safety of now banned products.
Iven Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Back to the editorial, the interesting question (for me) deals with the best information for consumers. Like the authors of the editorial, I (inexpertly) believe that "Contains GMOs" is not the most useful thing to put on a label. Suppose you have 100% certified organic GMO-free extract of Strychnos nux-vomica in your breakfast cereal. The only important information for that label is that the cereal contains strychnine and is poisonous.

Let's make sure we label food with the most important information--whatever that turns out to be. (And yes, this is a call for government to be involved with my food. Imperfect as government is, I trust itmuch more than I trust the free market to make sure that my food is safe to eat.)

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 12:39, irossall wrote:
It's very nice that critter has a monopoly on the truth and knows BS when he see's it. I for one can only cross reference various sources and try to see who profits from stating THEIR truth.

In 1906 the U.S. was using Red Dye #2 and it wasn't until the 1970's that the FDA banned its use in America, and that was only because of much Soviet study that concluded that the dye caused cancer in rats. The FDA really did not want to ban the dye but decided to anyway due to public outcry. Big business was not happy with the FDA ban.

Dioxin was deemed safe to use on our public lands as a defoliate and still does. Dioxin aka: Agent Orange.

DDT is still made in America and sold to third world countries as a pesticide, although it is banned in America.

America still manufacture's, warehouse and sells nerve gas.

You bet I am not going to believe that GMO's are safe and nothing to worry about. I choose to err on the side of safety but I don't really have that option because that choice is taken away from me from the power's to be. The very powers that profit and have been "mistaken" in the past about the safety of now banned products.
Iven Smile

When did I ever say GMOs are safe? What I said is there are no animal genes in foods sold to the public. We're actually on agreement on just about every other point so I'm not sure where the hostility is coming from. Nowhere have I endorsed GMOs. Take a deep breath or something, friend.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-09-23 13:21, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Back to the editorial, the interesting question (for me) deals with the best information for consumers. Like the authors of the editorial, I (inexpertly) believe that "Contains GMOs" is not the most useful thing to put on a label. Suppose you have 100% certified organic GMO-free extract of Strychnos nux-vomica in your breakfast cereal. The only important information for that label is that the cereal contains strychnine and is poisonous.

Let's make sure we label food with the most important information--whatever that turns out to be. (And yes, this is a call for government to be involved with my food. Imperfect as government is, I trust itmuch more than I trust the free market to make sure that my food is safe to eat.)

John

John, your example doesn't work at all. Relative to strychnine content obviously nothing else is as important. Might as well remove all other info: weight, nutrients, country of origin, presence of non-strychnine ingredients...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

But landmark, that is precisely my point. There is a finite amount of labeling. Let's put our heads together and come up with the best scheme possible for consumers. I think that there is a lot of thinking and consultation to be done BEFORE we decide whether "Contains GMOs" or "Grown with potash supplement" or "grown with manure of unknown origin" or goodness knows what.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
No, John, I get your point. Here now is my argument for removing weight information from packaged food:

"I (inexpertly) believe that "weight" is not the most useful thing to put on a label. Suppose you have the 100% correct weight listed on the package of Strychnos nux-vomica in your breakfast cereal. The only important information for that label is that the cereal contains strychnine and is poisonous." QED weight information is irrelevant?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Nope. But it's negotiable.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Science journal retracts French study on GM foods:

A controversial French study purportedly linking genetically modified foods to tumours and organ failure in rats — research widely hailed by anti-GM activists and fiercely denounced by scientists — has been retracted.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/1......ods.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Monsanto the seeds of suicide
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Scientific American Endorses GMO's (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL