The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Nest of ... presentational problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
There are loads of effects out there which result in a vanished article (a coin, a ring, a card etc) re-appearing inside a nest of boxes, purses, envelopes etc etc.

I myself have a wonderful routine with all the right moves and patter lines that suit my performing style (using a signed coin and a nest of wallets). The only problem with effects of this type is that as soon as you start opening the outer of the above mentioned boxes, purses, envelopes etc the spectators immediately anticipate that the borrowed item will be recovered from within the nest. Yes there are jokes that can be had by the fact that 'inside the box is...no not your ring but another box...' but I cannot help feeling that as soon as the first or second box is opened the spectators know what's coming, which spoils the build up to the final recovery.

Am I alone in thinking this way or does anyone have any good solutions for maintaining dramatic suspense that little bit longer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Good question.

May I suggest you mis-direct them with your patter?

You could state that whatever is in the box will give you and the audience a clue to where the ring is.

Or, "What if the purchase ticket receipt for your ring were to appear within the box? Then you could claim your ring, correct?"

These are a couple ideas. No matter what you do the audience will always be suspicious of the outcome. But you may prolong the suspense a little more by using one of these ideas.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Josef K
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Well, I think that the mutliple boxes (or whatever) makes for good suspense - yes, they anticipates, but that to me is a good thing. Remember, it is just a couple of seconds from the revelation, it will not blow any surprises.

Josef
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I use A Signed And Borrowed Bill item from Kneppers video called Close Up And Unpublished. Rather than a coin in nest of boxes, it is a signed bill that appears in a mini-Altiods box that is rubber-banded shut. I've added a twist to this that makes the use of the Altoid box logical and an extra oddity to the ending. The reactions that I get are as great as when the participant has to open container after container to get to the final item. And, reset is almost immediate so it can be done many times in a walk-around situation. I think this one item is worth the price of the video. If you already have the video, and know the workings of the basic effect, I would be willing to describe my particular presentation via email at: sandysartworks@surferie.net
Nicholas
Nicholas
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
Thanks Nicholas. I have this video too and like you I love the bill in tin routine.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
WanderingMagician,
Great. Here's how I handle it and I think it throws the spectator totally off until the last second. I think I can do this without actually revealing anything that I shouldn't.

I start by having them sign the bill, then fold it, and I take it. As a second thought, before doing anything else with that, I set it aside (usually push it under a prop (not really of course) and say that before going further, I want to show them something that means a lot to me.

I bring the tin out of my close-up box(loaded). I prepare the tin just like on the tape, but, after getting everything set up, I add a little folded piece of 3X5 card, cut to size, and labeled "bills." Now the bill is in the box and in little folder labeled "bills."

I tell the spectator that I have a money collection. It is a small collection but special to me and includes bills and coins that I keep in this little box. I open the tin, let them take the folder (with their bill inside), and ask them to hang on to it for a minute. I shake out a couple of coins that I loaded beforehand also.

I mention how one coin was given to me by an uncle when I was small as a lucky coin ,etc. etc. Then I say, "but my favorite part of my money collection you happen to be holding." I ask them to open the folder and unfold the bill inside. I then deliver the line, "that's my favorite because, _________, it has your name on it!" (Credit to Eugene Burger for that line at the end of his signed card to wallet).

Of course, they think I'm still just displaying some odd pieces of money from my collection until the last moment. They have been holding the little folder that came out of the tin all the while.
Hope you find this of interest.
Nicholas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Nest of ... presentational problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL