The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Latest and greatest » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18346 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hi there - I think that section of the Café needs a tightening of the rules, as far too many people expose methods (whether they pertain to the release in question or not) as a means of one-upmanship more than anything else...

I would like to see an entire ban on discussion of method whatsoever (even your examples of "i think it uses velcro/magnet" is still too much of a reveal) - because if someone guesses the method, and guesses correctly, then it ruins the latest release itself, and makes the creator less likely to want to advertise on the Café if they think that every time they release something new, someone might well publicly guess the method...

as an example, in the Inferno thread there, there's a fair bit of exposure going on, and yet if I google "magic Café matchbox playing card" I get that thread's link as my very first hit...seems a shame...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Well said!

:applause: Smile Smile
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
Ditto.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2655 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
I wa sudner the impression that discussion of method was already off limits except in the "downstairs" banquet section. If someone is exposing method, the post should be reported to management.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
It depends on the post. Latest and greatest is for discussion of possibilities.
Someone may post a method in his opinion and may be completely correct but that is not exposure.If the person owns the effect and makes a definite statement of "This is how it works", then it is exposure. This not only applies to mentalism but to every forum on the Café,
Where the magic begins
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
670 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Quote:
On 2013-10-14 17:21, Dave Scribner wrote:
It depends on the post. Latest and greatest is for discussion of possibilities.
Someone may post a method in his opinion and may be completely correct but that is not exposure.If the person owns the effect and makes a definite statement of "This is how it works", then it is exposure. This not only applies to mentalism but to every forum on the Café,

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. Discussions of possible methods of tricks/effects should not be pondered openly. At the very least, all discussions of any type of method should only be discussed in a PM or the secret sessions.

We are all here to help others but at the same time we need to help to preserve the art itself.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You are free to disagree but that is the rule for this forum. Posting a comment in a PM doesn't promote a discussion and only those with 50 posts can enter the secret sessions which restricts a lot of good conversation about up coming products. Here's the specific rule governing the forum.

Quote:
SPECULATION -VS- EXPOSURE:

It is , after all, only natural to speculate the possible method to a new trick or effect. Comments as to possibilities of a method are just that - Possibilities. One person may say; "I think it might use a piece of velcro" while another may comment; "No, it probably uses a magnet". Either scenario is okay.

However, If someone knows for a fact what the method is and posts it, then we have exposure and the post will be deleted with NO EXPLANATION given.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Latest and greatest » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL