The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Fight Flick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 23:58, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I like Cinderella Man, but it was a bit unnecessarily rude to Max Baer's memory.

As an aside, Graziano and Tony Zale's in-ring trilogy was one of the best sports rivalries ever.
I would agree with you Lobo about Max. From what I read he was quite affected by what happened in the ring.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Baer was effected very much by the death of the boxer he faced. He donated many of his later purses to the family.

While the depiction of Baer in the film wasn't an actual reflection of his personality, it did, in fact, accurately represent the way he was portrayed in the press at the time. Also, the way he was depicted in the ring was very accurate.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Lobo-

Which version of Requiem for a Heavyweight were you referring to- the film or the original television drama?
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:09, mastermindreader wrote:
Baer was effected very much by the death of the boxer he faced. He donated many of his later purses to the family.

While the depiction of Baer in the film wasn't an actual reflection of his personality, it did, in fact, accurately represent the way he was portrayed in the press at the time. Also, the way he was depicted in the ring was very accurate.
Bob, are you referring to his fighting style in the ring or his personality? The way he acted.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:10, mastermindreader wrote:
Lobo-

Which version of Requiem for a Heavyweight were you referring to- the film or the original television drama?

I was referring to the film.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
One of my martial arts instructors was a student of Jesse Glover from Seattle. Jesse Glover was Bruce Lee's first student in America. I didn't get to train as long with that guy as I'd wanted because he got a job working ridiculous hours, but it was a very special time. He was trying to get his school off of the ground and I was his first student. For several months I had private lessons all day twice a week with him and the jiu jitsu guy who was his partner. Just a few weeks ago I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of visiting Bruce and Brandon's graves.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 22:27, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 19:19, ShirtlessKirk wrote:
The Ip Man movies are my favorites at the moment.

Those who enjoyed Ong Bak check out Chocolate with Jeeja Yanin, was done by the same people. The choreography is amazing in that one.

She is going to co-star with Tony Jaa in The Protector 2 (aka Tom Yum Goong 2).

Now, that's a team up I want to see! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 02:54, critter wrote:
One of my martial arts instructors was a student of Jesse Glover from Seattle. Jesse Glover was Bruce Lee's first student in America. I didn't get to train as long with that guy as I'd wanted because he got a job working ridiculous hours, but it was a very special time. He was trying to get his school off of the ground and I was his first student. For several months I had private lessons all day twice a week with him and the jiu jitsu guy who was his partner. Just a few weeks ago I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of visiting Bruce and Brandon's graves.

You're a lucky man, critter. I plan to visit their graves as well someday. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Anyone seen Fat City, starring Stacey Keach? I saw it a very long time ago, don't remember it at all, but I remember it was well received.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Quote:
On 2013-09-24 23:10, mastermindreader wrote:
I believe you are thinking of "Somebody Up There Likes Me" (1956) in which Paul Newman portrayed Rocky Graziano. (He was a bit small to have played Marciano.)

A great film.

Yeah that's exactly the one I was thinking about thanks for that.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:36, motown wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 00:09, mastermindreader wrote:

Bob, are you referring to his fighting style in the ring or his personality? The way he acted.

His fighting style.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 07:41, landmark wrote:
Anyone seen Fat City, starring Stacey Keach? I saw it a very long time ago, don't remember it at all, but I remember it was well received.

Yes I've seen it. I had actually read the book years before, for some reason it was in a box of books in my mothers basement. Then a few years ago the movie came on and I watched it, it's good. Not so much for the fight scenes or anything like that, I wouldn't really even call it a "boxing movie" per se. It's more of a character study, but I liked it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Did somebody say they wanted to see a fight movie????? LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKcGRREcaM
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Slapshot was another good fight movie. Smile
– Karl Germain
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Star Wars. Plenty of fighting in that one.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 02:59, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 02:54, critter wrote:

You're a lucky man, critter. I plan to visit their graves as well someday. Smile

I think we're facebook friends. I have pics on there if you want to see.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Nice... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Favorite Fight Flick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL