The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Save Camdem Borugh street life, sing the petition. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
This is why I am against any form of council control of buskers!

If the Camdem Borough Council start taking actions like this. It could spread to other Councils. This is my big hang up with codes of practise and permits. It establishes Councils as rulers over us when they are not. Then when it suits them they can try to remove us. SING THE PETITION

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ca......petition
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hey Mario,.. I sympathize.
I really do.
But,..
I agree with the Law.

I don´t see it as a `ban´,..
I see it as a protection.
It allows ME to play such towns.
It allows `quieter Shows´to once again be WELCOMED in the town,.. by Shop Owners.

I agree and suppoert such laws,..
and am willing to pay for a `Permission´.
if the City goes to the effort of enforcing for me.

For years, I´ve TRIED "talking,.. peasefully, calmly,.. logically".
It rarely worked.
As "Buskers" became more and more `commercially orienteered´,
it has become impossible.

In Germany, the Netherlands, Luxembourg,... the law is common place..
I can honestly say, "IT WORKS."

I say it sorrowfully,..
but,..
IT WORKS.

p.s.: I take it one farther,.. "move spots,.. every hour".
and "No selling",.. cd´s,.. post cards,..
live from your skills.

gallagher.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2013-09-25 14:57, gallagher wrote:
Hey Mario,.. I sympathize.
I really do.
But,..
I agree with the Law.

I don´t see it as a `ban´,..
I see it as a protection.
It allows ME to play such towns.
It allows `quieter Shows´to once again be WELCOMED in the town,.. by Shop Owners.

I agree and suppoert such laws,..
and am willing to pay for a `Permission´.......
gallagher.

Wow really I sympathize with you, ban this ban that have it all just so, very nice.

Hear is the problem and it will be a problem, your road trip your doing if you plan to busk from town to town is over and I do mean over.
If every council took this approach you wont be able to travel in your motor home from town to town and busk your shows any more.

20 towns would cost you £2,500 OVER! £125 a permit OVER.
That's if you could apply any way OVER! (that's if you STILL wanted to pay mind)
You see it may suit you when your not a traveling busker and you want to stay in one town and rule the pitch under this scheme, very nice.
As traveling buskers it is not sympathetic towards us at all.

The applications for these is long and tedious. I wont be able to work Camden and if you visit the UK you wont be able to.
Just like York your can't work that as a day visitor or as a traveling busker

I see this this as banning a life style, funny thing it so happens to be yours and you agree with it?
You have confused me, perhaps traveling from town to town is something you do as a holiday? Either way if they do this its over, I suggest you have not thought out the full implications of this illegal order. (don't get me going EU and human rights on this)

If every town and city was to do this busking as we know it would be over. Our American friends would not be able to visit Europe and busk any more and old tradition of the traveling busker would die. My show days as busker and what I have do would be over.

You must bare in mind if you allow them this authority just like a toll charge it will go up, uP and then UP. Also they can just stop buskers all together if they they wanted to.

This is not the Law but if it became one it would be the begining of the end of our freedom or perhaps its already began.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Gentlemen,.. Gentlewomen,
There´s a bit a miss-information out,..
I called Camdem Borough today, wondering about this "...125.Quid Permit."
It´s 125. for a whole year(!),... 50 cents a day,... hmm.
For `passer-thru-ers",.. a 5 pound Permit would be offered.
I find it fair.

ESPECIALLY if they ban "the Big Business Buskers"!
,... Seven South Americans with Bose sound systems,..and Honda generators!
,who set up next to you,.. and don´t speak any language.
,... Hip Hop groups,.. with 200 watt boxes and truck batterys!
,who when spoken to,. tell you to stick it in your face.
,.. Highland Bagpipers, who believe their duty is to show the world the romatic beauty of dis-harmony.
,...Samba Bands,.. drums, whistles,.. and battons.
.... Jugglers with 2 Crate Maxi´s,... three fire torches,.. and four stolen jokes.
,.. Five African Drumers,..

None of whom are willing or capable of moving!

BAN THEM!

Little man of the Streets!,.. rise up!!
Strike back!!
Re-take your roots!

Kick the Corporate Clones with their Franchise Shows!!!!

Free Artists,..
Free Thinkers,..
Small-time Genius,..
STRIKE BACK!

Ban the noise.
Re-open the ears.
Rise up!

Write Camdem Boroughs, tell them our plague.
I did,.. they were interested.

Hit back.
Ban the ***s.

Gallagher.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I new it was for 125 for the year but thanks for checking any way.
I have never seen your list of performers that you want to ban In Camden have you?
I do agree with you about nosey buskers BUT they should use the laws that already exist to shut noise down and they do excite!
Camden Burrough can not offer you any thing at the moment as it has not been passed so if they said they will offer you this its bull they can't offer you this. Don't bealeave it unless its written down.
So I think "would offer" might as well be "may offer".
I am yet to see any working examples that is kind towards visiting buskers.
If they could give out day passes to the so called good visiting buskers who is going to make that judgement? How are these office workers going to do it? Perhaps audition or video links how. As always you get local artist who will want to stop visiting buskers and so on. I have seen it before and I don't think it will work and I don't think it is a good idea! The British government are very PC that's how they will run this show. Look at what is happening in Canada, Vancouver. Victoria Island as well. What is being passed is power not rules once the power is passed over they will be able to change the rules when ever they want, sorry I am not reassured by your phone calls. I don't trust this to be a good thing but thanks any way! If its private land it is one thing but to give police powers to councils workers to rule any people is wrong. Use the laws that are already in place don't just make up some more and give that power to office workers. Keep free the common ground that belongs to the people. I have seen good pitches go to huge show ground rides in the uk because they pay big money to the councils who are acting more and more like private companies when they should be our servants. They even sold streets to private companies that went on and banned buskers on it , I don't know what it is like in Germany but I don't trust them government or councils hear in the uk,
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Up date
On November 11th Labour-Led Camden Council passed a resolution which criminalised the playing of music in ANY public space in the borough without first obtaining a licence. Under this contentious piece of legislation playing a guitar in the street for fun, even without any container for donations, has become a criminal offence punishable by a £1000 fine, the seizure of instruments in the streets by force, and the sale of those instruments to pay the fine after 28 days.

http://vimeo.com/79198725 For many activists, it was the first time they had cheered and clapped as a Tory politician rose to speak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNoGC9fXKik&feature=youtu.be
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ca......n-camden
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hi Mario,
I´ve been following this one, as well.
I´m a bit surprised they went the full Monte!
I´m not against it,.. but I did send them a letter asking "Why?".
I suspect, things just got a bit out of control,..
gosh, you would think `we´ would learn from such things(!).
Keep an eye on Central Park,. nyc.
I suspect, as Spring springs, Buskers will bloom,..
the dBs will rise,..
and the Park will be "with Permission only", in a short while.

funny how some Schools functions,..
sad,.. actually.
Does it lay in the Teacher´s hands,..
or the Pupil´s?

wondering while wandering,
but not lost,
gallagher.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I twist in Central Park.
If anything enforcement is even more lax than ever. With our new super liberal mayor I expect things to get better for buskers. In NYC freedom of expression lawsuits have played out and the rules, which are quite fair, are pretty straightforward. Unfortunately I expect crime to rise in some respects, but not as it regards street performing.
One type of "act", the dancer troupes with their illegal amplification, will probably be stopped, and I will be all for that.
Attempts have been made to institute a paying system have been proposed before and ALL have been shot down in court. It is simply against the constitution to prohibit people from expressing themselves artistically, provided they follow the rules which, as I said are fair.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Save Camdem Borugh street life, sing the petition. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL