The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball References (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Any advice on where to find a good reference on sponge balls? I have one dvd and a small book...but those are mostly for beginners.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I'm not sure what a good overall reference would be. However, I have the video by Kenton Knepper (Close Up and Unpublished) that has a sponge ball routine on it called "Sponge Balls Like Never Before." I like the way Kenton handles the sponges. If you learn a couple of his basic moves, you can do almost anything with the sponge balls. It also gets away from the old ploy of..."here's a ball for you and one for me and, presto, they're both in your hand." The moves are also more natural than in other presentations I have seen. This has been the best source for sponge ball manipulation that I have found. Hope this helps.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thanks for your help. I have found that sponge ball references are not exteremely common.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I would be curious what others (who have it) think of the Pat Page video on sponge balls. He did one on the thumb tip that I thought was excellent. The one on balls might be a good reference, too. As I think about it a little more, I believe there is a volume by Frank Garcia that has to do with Sponge Balls. I have a small booklet of his but was never able to get much that is usable out of it. Others might have an opinion about his work.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Sponge Ball Magic - Gabe Fajuri

Sponge Ball Manipulation - Audley Walsh

The Sponge Book - Frances Marshall

Video: 25 Tricks with Sponge Balls ($10 great value)

There are others as well, but these should get you going.

Also do a search. There are many threads on sponge balls
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I started with "25 Tricks with Sponge Balls" and it got me off and running.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Mark Wilsons Complete course in Magic has a good standard routine perfect for any beginner.
Daniel Faith
DwightPA
View Profile
Regular user
Dwight Powell
113 Posts

Profile of DwightPA
I would highly recommend Pat Page's sponge ball video. He gives you his routine but more importantly, various sleights and ideas that will help you further develop your own routine.

Even though I had been doing sponges for several years before acquiring his video, I certainly gained from it.

Dwight Powell
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
One thing I have not seen much on are color change moves with sponges. Dr. Sawa has a couple of brilliant routines in the book on him by Kaufman and two of the three use color changes, IIRC.

That was one big disappointment with the Goshman Encyclopedia of Sponge magic - no color changes, no size changes, but a LOT of great vanishes!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Slydini has a great sponge ball routine. You can find it in The Best of Slydini ... And More, by Karl Fulves (1976). This is still in print. You can get it from Tannens.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic by Frank Garcia is a must.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Bill, I agree that the Garcia Encyclopedia (which is out of print, last I heard) is an essential, but, IMHO, it is not encycplopedic in nature.

There is literally nothing on color changes, silk penetrations, size changes, switch outs, switch ins, substitutions or almost anything on the use of gimmicks like a dye tube or much on pulls.

IMPO, these are rather large areas that Garcia simply failed to address, and one which should be covered in any encyclopedic study of this particular prop.

It's like doing an encyclopedia of card magic and leaving out color changes and the diminishing cards, to be honest.

But, for all of that, it IS the seminal work on the subject, even so, and a superb jumping off point for anyone who is serious about doing sponge work.

It's just my quibble with the title, not the work itself. If someone is really interested in doing sponges, the book is essential.

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
However, it has been out of print for some time, is virtually impossible to find and costs a couple hundred bucks when you do find it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Anyone else like Eugene Burger's routine on his Magical Voyages video? It's got a complete routine that ends with 24 balls in the spectator's hand. I do it just about exactly as it's taught (technically, not presentationally) and it gets terrific reactions.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Thanks. I will see what I can found out of all those suggestions.
Karl Miller
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of Karl Miller
One of the best routines for sponge balls is John Carney's "Current Classic" from "Carneycopia". I combined this routine with Roger Klause's "Sponge and Sleeve" from "Klause in Concert" or Michael Ammar's "Encore 3" (the better description is in the Kause book). This idea was mentioned in the Carney book mentioned above. It plays very well. Jay Scott Berry also has some fantastic sponge ball work in his lecture.
Tom Gaddis
View Profile
Regular user
Maui
143 Posts

Profile of Tom Gaddis
I put this in another a post, but it fits here as well.

Check out "Clones from Brazil" in Charllie Miller's "Magicana" column. (July 1983.)

The illustrations from "Magicana" are posted on http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/conjurers under FREE STUFF.

Best Regards,
Tom
"The dumber people think you are. The more surprised they'll be when you kill them."
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I've been using Brad Burt's All About Sponge Balls video for the last week or so and have been extremely impressed with the depth of information. It's about 90 minutes. This is my first Brad Burt video and I only have good things to say about his teaching style as he is an outstanding instructor. He actually teaches rather than just shows and since a sponge ball routine is based on sleights, the slight variations are important. He gives different sleights, 4-5 vanishes, talks about using an empty purse frame, some switches, and gives 3 routines. There's some other stuff as well.

Also, Scott Guinn has a PB & J routine that has been reviewed in themagiccafe so do a search. It's a standard sponge ball routine with that uses a purse frame, vanishes, hand counts, and a Sanada gimmick.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
I second what Jive-Turkey wrote about Scott Guinn's, "Peanut Butter and Jelly," routine. It's terrific. You can easily learn it from the manuscript included with the effect. However, even better is to see him do it (with instructions) on his video, "Great Scott! The only technical change I made to the routine is to have the first ball in my armpit (Ammar suggestion) and I steal it while they examine the purse frame by crossing my arms. This steal is not necessary, as Scott explains a very nice way to show both hands empty at the beginning of the routine.
Richard
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
I checked 3 other sources. If I would have purchased the Patrick Page video on sponge magic, then I would need no other if I was looking for a solid routine and instruction that covers the basics.

Kenton Knepper's sponge routine in “Klose Up and Unpublished” is excellent and I like his routine best as it is different. Knepper uses a classic palm a lot in the routine so it's taking much more practice so the routine can flow.

I also checked Steve Dacri's routine and it doesn't cover the basics, but hones a routine. He's an excellent performer.

If I could do it all over again, I would just need Patrick Page's and Kenton Knepper's videos, a sleeve of 4 super-soft and time for practice and I would be set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball References (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL