The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mark shortland on and off stage review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Firstly I've seen mark perform and I've laughed a lot seeing him perform.

that being said, I've never been more dissapointed in a dvd ever.
On the dvd cover it says he won a comedy award, well he certainly didn't win it while filming this dvd.
even if you go on youtube you can find excellent clips of him with many laughs and gags. But on this dvd a lot of the laughs and gags are missing.

There is soooooo much dead time in his show on this dvd, it's just awkward.

About the tricks:

on stage:

very basic stuff: typical folding bottle production and vanishing, very boring presentation of professors nightmare, a cards across combined with silk in apple, a burnt and restored note, nothing too special

then there's the bullet catch which is okay.

one routine that bugged me was the mousetrap routine, where he gives a genuine loaded giant mouse trap to a child, true he manages her very well I just wouldn't want to take this risk.

Off stage: No humor, very basic card tricks, a VERY basic sponge ball routine, and a chop cup routine which is good.

All in all if you have any basic understanding of magic techniques you will not learn anything new on this dvd, then you might say I might get some presentational ideas or at least a good show to view. Sadly I thought this was the poorest performance of mark I've ever seen.

This to me was a total waste of money.
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1830 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Wizard Review LOVED it and also produced the DVD.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
That might be but this is just my opinion, I think mark shortland is a great comedy magician it just doesn't show it on this dvd
chappelly
View Profile
Special user
Down Under
744 Posts

Profile of chappelly
Quote:
On 2013-09-26 06:18, cougar261084 wrote:
Firstly I've seen mark perform and I've laughed a lot seeing him perform.

that being said, I've never been more dissapointed in a dvd ever.
On the dvd cover it says he won a comedy award, well he certainly didn't win it while filming this dvd.
even if you go on youtube you can find excellent clips of him with many laughs and gags. But on this dvd a lot of the laughs and gags are missing.

There is soooooo much dead time in his show on this dvd, it's just awkward.

About the tricks:

on stage:

very basic stuff: typical folding bottle production and vanishing, very boring presentation of professors nightmare, a cards across combined with silk in apple, a burnt and restored note, nothing too special

then there's the bullet catch which is okay.

one routine that bugged me was the mousetrap routine, where he gives a genuine loaded giant mouse trap to a child, true he manages her very well I just wouldn't want to take this risk.

Off stage: No humor, very basic card tricks, a VERY basic sponge ball routine, and a chop cup routine which is good.

All in all if you have any basic understanding of magic techniques you will not learn anything new on this dvd, then you might say I might get some presentational ideas or at least a good show to view. Sadly I thought this was the poorest performance of mark I've ever seen.

This to me was a total waste of money.

I have this and I agree with every single point made here.

The blurb on the cover says his performances are captivating, hilarious,entertaining but also incredibly baffling.?????????

Unfortunately, for me at least, very little of this was evident on the DVD.

The rat trap with the young girl???? I cringed when I saw this.

I think he also had a hard audience . They seemed very subdued.

All in all this DVD is a big disappointment and waste of money.

Chappelly
thorsten dankworth
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of thorsten dankworth
Thanks for your honest words.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3749 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Glad I didn't pull the trigger. Had a feeling this would be a dud.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1789 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Great to read unbiased, honest reviews here. Thanks

J-M
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6723 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I saw Mark Shortland when he was a guest on Wizard Product Review, and thought this would be fantastic. Immediately likeable and I can see him being just hilarious! I am disappointed to see this flop. Sad.

Doug
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I really appreciate this review - I have been meaning to pick up this set for a little while now. I think I'll pass on it now!

-DD
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
721 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I appreciate the reviews, I was just about to order this, now I'll pass. Thanks for saving me money. I really wanted this but that's what this forum is for. Thanks again.
KyleSW
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of KyleSW
Sadly I have to agree with everyone above (wish I'd read these before buying). The effects were all rather pedestrian, the performances were all incredibly subdued and strained and the comedy was pretty much nonexistent. I had been really looking forward to the release of these DVDs, so to report their complete failure on all counts is truly disappointing. And one thing I really have to mention. It might be worth Mark investing in a few DVDs of his own, specifically on how to do a DL. I honestly have never seen such clumsy, telegraphed, obvious DLs. His DL in Chicago Closer was breathtakingly bad. The rest were of a quality that should not be seen on a professional DVD. I was embarrassed for him.
dr_catman
View Profile
New user
Singapore
74 Posts

Profile of dr_catman
Oh man I'm so happy I check here first. Had it in my checkout cart and decided to just get some more feedback. The 30 can be used for some other things. Any suggestions on dvds for stage/parlour routines?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Mark shortland on and off stage review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL