The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Merlin Award ... whats the real story? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Jimmy Carlsson
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Carlsson
...then you can also wonder why magic companys "gets" the merlin award when they obviously are selling and advertising a lot of rip offs.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7554 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Follow the money.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 02:33, dahih beik wrote:
Hi Mat ...
- its fine if they pay for their own expanses , they do it at FISM , but in fact they are paying for someone elses expanses !!its like being bought indirectly .
- I agree that the point is about awarding high class performers an dnot the same 10 guys , it does happen at FISM and many other well judged competions in the US and other parts from the world .
- if you think that DC , lance and the other 10 guys have things to be fixed in their shows I really would like you to comment on that it would be very deep and helpfull for me and other as well .
- so a welthy less talented magician who can make Tony happy with first class tickets and acomidatioe might be able to get the Merlin while a more talented performer with less cash CANT !!isn t that the truth.
- gealousy is healthy and should stimulate hard work and ambition towards perfection and beter job and some respected hard earned awards .. I mean many of the Merlin buyers have never WOUN any other trophy isn't that a tell tell... ( put DC aside ).

Oh, so you are saying people are paying Tony to come fly to their city to award them. I get it now. I understand how that could seem questionable.

No, I won't comment on the things I think the top guys need to fix. Although I have valid and helpful points, it's not going to help them since they have their own team telling them the same stuff. My comments will be dismissed here on the Café since I'm not a recognized performer and still have things of my own to fix. People have trouble taking advice when it doesn't come from a household name. Smile BUT to prove I'm not completely baseless in my claims, I'll give ONE for Mac King -

First off, Mac is an awesome guy and great performer. We won't argue he's one of the top 10 or not...but he's one of the longest running Vegas shows so we'll assume he's "high enough" for purposes of this thread. Here's a simple "fix" to help his show be more professional (see, now doesn't that sound terribly arrogant of me?!). When Mac rings in new props, he uses a stagehand to place the prop halfway between the wings and the stage. So the prop is basically half on stage and half off. Not only does this create an amateur look to the stage, but the stagehand does it DURING Mac's routines. So while Mac is trying to do the climax of the routine, off in the wings we see the next prop being drug out and placed on the stage. This interrupts Mac's routine, pulls attention from the climax, clutters the side of the stage unnecessarily, and all-around looks very unprofessional (Mac has an "unprofessional" look anyway - but there's a PROFESSIONAL way to look unprofessional - does that make sense?). The rest of his "carpet bag" act looks great, but he needs to think through a more effective way to ring in props if he doesn't want an assistant to bring them on stage.

I do better understand how it seems that some people may be "purchasing" a Merlin by simply flying Tony into their town, but I do question whether he just gives out his award willy-nilly to anyone who has cash. I also think if you do NOT have cash, you are probably not a top professional anyway...

You said "Many of the Merlin buyers have never won any other trophy. Isn't that a tell tale sign?" Well, I don't know. There are a LOT of competitions in magic to compete and win trophies - and many are EASY to win considering the competition (some not...FISM). So a guy COULD have a LOT of trophies but that still doesn't mean he's any good. But the opposite is also true. There are guys who don't compete but are FANTASTIC performers. Just because they do (or don't) have trophies is no indication of how good someone is. Merlin IS part of a competition, so if you "won" the Merlin by competing, I'd be a little surprised if you had no other trophies - because competition guys usually compete in many more than just one. But if the Merlin was awarded to you, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you had NO trophies. You may just not be a "competition guy."

BUT - in closing - I do see how it can have the appearance of being "bought" if Tony "follows the money." I hope that's not the case - but instead of complaining about the award, I'm going to try to earn one and let you guys complain about me next. Smile

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22800 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
This is totally ridiculous, you are all making assumptions on your opinions. It is not up to you! Do you really think when they give an award like the Miss America Award to Miss New York, they whole viewing audience agreed with the decision. Everyone had their favorite, and thought their selection for a winner had the qualities to be chosen. There are 50 states that all had their favorite.

It is becoming like you guys are all jealous of the winners. If you want one, work for it like all the other winners.
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-10-03 14:33, Bill Hegbli wrote:
This is totally ridiculous, you are all making assumptions on your opinions. It is not up to you! Do you really think when they give an award like the Miss America Award to Miss New York, they whole viewing audience agreed with the decision. Everyone had their favorite, and thought their selection for a winner had the qualities to be chosen. There are 50 states that all had their favorite.

It is becoming like you guys are all jealous of the winners. If you want one, work for it like all the other winners.

*clap clap*

Any donkey can kick down a barn but it takes a skilled carpentar to build one. I want to be the "carpentar!"

Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
*Carpenter

TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2937 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bill, are you saying magicians are jealous of each other? LOL

Of course they are. That is very clear to those on the outside looking in.

Go for it Matt. And if you do end up with one, be proud of it. Good luck.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I agree with bill on diferent tastes , and go for it Matt be a carpenter .
on the other hand even with different tastes all fism wining acts are exelent .
so if you want to be a skilled carpenter go build a fism level magic act and win.
that might make jealous magicians Tom
not a scatered Merlin
some day you might be able to get it from Ebay for a better price . Smile
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
On 2013-10-07 13:38, dahih beik wrote:
so if you want to be a skilled carpenter go build a fism level magic act and win.

...maybe one day! Smile But while I have a small desire (and obviously that's not going to be enough...) to try to win FISM, it's not really my main goal because that only achieves me notoriety within our community. I have other goals I want to accomplish with my magic although no one would disagree that winning FISM would be amazing. But I want to do some other things instead of devoting that amount of time to create a single hopefully-winning act.

But my first goal would probably be to at least go WATCH FISM. haha. Smile Never been, but I imagine it'd be a blast!

dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I have changed my mind , I want to win a Merlin so that my name will be included among the big names like DC and other as SU HU BIN , AHMED , CU LU SIN , DI MU HIN , TORRA, AND DORA THE EXPLORER , TOM AND JERRYAND MANY OTHERS ... I ll start saving right away.
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Wait, Su Hu Bin has one?
Mike
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
He has two one for back up.
DoveDaddy
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of DoveDaddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-09 12:08, magicelam wrote:
Wait, Su Hu Bin has one?

Yes, and also his father Has Bin!
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
Use it for your PR. Whatever it is, however you get it Merlin's are great PR everywhere. Just don't focus on it being an award but focus on what the Merlin does. And it does that perfectly. Hassini is one of the nicest guys around in the magic scene and he knows what he is doing. He helped a lot of now famous magicians to become those famous magicians. The tv specials he produces for magicians all over the planet are excellent quality. If you can get a Merlin go for it and use the buzz that comes with it. You will not regret it. In this case just believe in the mystery that is attached to our business. Use it. Don't tear it down. Don't make all those famous illusionists who received it angry at you and don't put them in an awkward situation because it will turn back on you. Use it. Don't question the Merlin just get one and go surfing along with all the others who got great PR from it. I know about the controversy, everybody in the magic business knows the stories. But seriously leave it. There is more behind the Merlin than it being an award. So for the sake of all who got an award do not bash on this one. It's just magic. Please.
EVI
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
Magic erik you are a believer
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1953 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I got 4 !!
TStone
View Profile
V.I.P.
Stockholm, Sweden
752 Posts

Profile of TStone
I wrote a little piece about the Merlin "Award" and its originator here:

https://www.tomstone.se/en/magic-world/the-merlin-award
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1586 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Wow Tom!

you have done some in depth research... it's a great read and much appreciated! Thank you!
visit me @ JNealShow.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
864 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Thank you Tom Stone! Fascinating and informative article.

Lou
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17861 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2022, TStone wrote:
I wrote a little piece about the Merlin "Award" and its originator here:

https://www.tomstone.se/en/magic-world/the-merlin-award

It seems a little crazy that you resurrect a thread that is almost a decade old. (Although I think I may have done it myself) Honestly it sounds a bit like some kind of sour grapes thing... I've never heard of Tom Stone before so I just need to take you at your word. (I did punch up a few of your videos after reading your article) IMHO most awards are used as self promotion in one way or another just like any Hollywood award would be. Of course I am Bias since I developed several fun magic effects that could be done over the phone and performed them on dozens of radio shows before Tony gave me my Merlin Award for "Radio Magic". David Copperfield now owns the rights to one of them and performs it nightly via email. To call the award "Fake" is a pretty strong accusation. Before you write your next article I suggest you read the ten rules of logical thought and apply them to your thinking and argumentative processes before you make such a bold claim, because in the end you must PROVE it. I don't know of anyone who actually paid Tony a red cent to get the award... Doesn't mean it didn't happen but can you actually PROVE it did? It took me about 10 years to develop the effects that I perform over the radio and internet. So you may see that I find it a bit insulting for you to call my award a "Fake" ....
Bottom line, I think Tony is a great hustler who has helped hundreds of Magicians promote their talents and advance in the entertainment industry. Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Merlin Award ... whats the real story? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL