The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..33..63..93..123..152~153~154~155~156..170..183..196..209..222..224~225~226 [Next]
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Don't trust climate scientists? How about all the other scientists:

"Nearly 92% of biophysical scientists surveyed believe that human activity has contributed to global warming

"Supporters of policies to address man-made climate change are quick to cite research showing 97% of climate scientists believe that humans are contributing to global warming. Now, new research suggests that consensus extends to scientists in other fields.

"Published in the journal Environmental Research Letters, the study found that nearly 92% of biophysical scientists surveyed believe that human activity has contributed to global warming. Nearly 94% said they believe global temperatures are rising. Researchers surveyed 2,000 scientists at universities in the Big 10 Conference and received 698 responses. The survey included fields like biology, chemistry and physics.

"The study’s design specifically addresses the belief that scientists who are skeptical of climate change come from fields outside of climate science. The new research weakens that argument."

~ http://time.com/4051338/climate-change-scientists/
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
?
Who exactly does not believe that human activity has contributed to global warming?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What I don't believe is that it is an argument of some sort. That is the part I REALLY have trouble comprehending.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
How about everything they keep getting wrong? Oh no wait we should just chalk that up to they eventually got it right I forgot.

You do know that with that theory there is literally NOTHING in your eyes they can do wrong don't you? I mean based on that theory everything they say will eventually be right and they are never to be held to account for being wrong. Just trust they will be right eventually.

The process, and yes even the scientists have been politisized. It is sad.

I simply don't believe that my prejudices are more compelling than expert opinion.

No matter what I want to be true, genuine expertise is more powerful than my biases.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
And "genuine" is ... what:
a) new and improved
b) tried and true
c) what was taught at the time
????
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
And "genuine" is ... what:
a) new and improved
b) tried and true
c) what was taught at the time
????

Met the standards of the community of experts.

What makes a mathematician? Doing work that is recognized by other mathematicians as worthy.

What's the difference between a magician and somebody who can do the 21 card trick?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Therefore, then, nearly 92% of biophysical scientists agree with we so called deniers.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 14, 2016, tommy wrote:
Therefore, then, nearly 92% of biophysical scientists agree with we so called deniers.

Got a reference for this extraordinary claim?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, tommy wrote:
?
Who exactly does not believe that human activity has contributed to global warming?

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Ok we've got the question confirmed. Now, the 92% statistic...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
What's the difference between a magician and somebody who can do the 21 card trick?

Some awareness of the address of a magic shop?

I sense a bubble in the force... do you find continuity, causality, about the same values of physical constants there?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Figurehead, superstar science talker, leading publisher, longest run of award winning articles, most funding this last fiscal year, most patents,... do you see the presuppositions in that claim of genuine privilege yet?
Criteria

Science(tm) sparkles with fresh mathy goodness...
It'll raise your eyebrows in awe.

Hint: Try a proof by contradiction where you substitute the fear-trigger climate wail for something less scary, and see if the social world around you treats ut as valid, acceptable, obvious...or the arguments as persuasive.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

No bubble. There is fallibility in human inquiry. But there's an enormous gap between fallibility and arbitrariness.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

I agree in that your argument fails but don't presume to arbitrate whether your ability to offer a cogent argument is wanting.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:

"Nearly 92% of biophysical scientists surveyed believe that human activity has contributed to global warming

"Supporters of policies to address man-made climate change are quick to cite research showing 97% of climate scientists believe that humans are contributing to global warming. Now, new research suggests that consensus extends to scientists in other fields.

"Published in the journal Environmental Research Letters, the study found that nearly 92% of biophysical scientists surveyed believe that human activity has contributed to global warming. Nearly 94% said they believe global temperatures are rising. Researchers surveyed 2,000 scientists at universities in the Big 10 Conference and received 698 responses. The survey included fields like biology, chemistry and physics.

"The study’s design specifically addresses the belief that scientists who are skeptical of climate change come from fields outside of climate science. The new research weakens that argument."

~ http://time.com/4051338/climate-change-scientists/

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

This is supposed to support:

Quote:
?

So are you saying that you "so-called deniers" agree that human activity is contributing to Global Warming? If so what, exactly, are you denying?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Magnus, folks are responding more to the deep pockets than the lab coats.

Who gets credibility in matters so big and when faced with data so vast as to be beyond the books we turn to.

Remember why tomatoes are classed as vegetables, and who gets to dispense nicotine or alcohol.

Reason is one of our tools... recall the fuss about irrational numbers and enumeration before claiming the privilege of proving Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

I'm with you Jon.

Just hoping for a few moments of clarity.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:

Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, tommy wrote:
?

As expected the climate hysterics give no answer to that question.

Why? Why because nobody believes that human activity has not contributed to global warming.

When nearly 92% of biophysical scientists surveyed believe that human activity has contributed to global warming, they believe what we believe and we agree.

As we have explained time and time again above that is not an issue.

The issue is how significant that contribution is.

We say that you climate hysterics are exaggerating the amount that human contribution.

Therefore, then, when somebody says like those scientists did, that they believe that human activity has contributed to global warming, we say, yes! So do we!

We agree with them and they agree with us as far as that goes and so;

Quote:

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Great. There is no issue. According to Tommy, everyone agrees that the earth is warming and that human activity is one of the causal factors. This is progress.

Let's get to cleaning up our mess, then. Humans made it; humans should clean it up.

Nothing left to disagree about. Finally!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..33..63..93..123..152~153~154~155~156..170..183..196..209..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL