The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..45..87..129..171..211~212~213~214~215..224~225~226 [Next]
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pla......0bfc4664

Apparently deep sea littering is a thing.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
SPACE is not safe from our garbage and it is not only unsafe but embarrassing.

To me littering has always been a separate issue from "global warming" or whatever anyone is calling it these days. Litter is real. It IS man made, it IS destructive. It IS a problem that can and needs to be fixed! There is no way plastic bags have been at the bottom of the ocean since dinosaurs.

Which to ME is why penalties for doing so should be astronomical. Litter, pollution and man made problems like that are just an embarrassment to our species.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Desire for respect from others may motivate monuments along ones travels. Self respect can motivate leaving a less toxic path for others to follow.

Perhaps someday there will be a litterbug which eats discarded plastics and excretes blocks of carbon.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Marine Life Cannot Stop Eating PLastic
http://ourblueplanet.bbcearth.com/blog/?......-plastic
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I figure it is their fault for not evolving to survive in our garbage.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Https://theconversation.com/plastic-in-d......th-83844
It will probably be our fault too. Humans have a tendency to make the wrong decisions.
We are self destructive. We seem to have discovered or believe self driving vehicles
will be safer than human driven vehicles. I just noticed traffic lights that dictate
the amount of time you are given to cross a street. You better hurry up. The use of
cell phones has made humans more careless. Humans will not last forever, either here
or on Mars. Turn on the TV. We revel in being stupid.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So humans won't last forever? Got it. But since almost all species that have ever lived are now extinct it is hard to treat that as news. They all managed to die off without being self destructive.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Introducing: The Holocene Extinction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction
Dinosaurs first appeared between 243 and 231 million years ago, during the Triassic period.
Dinosaurs were on Earth for between 165 and 177 million years.
Dinosaurs became extinct around 66 million years ago. This means that they were on Earth
for far longer than they've been extinct.
It seems unlikely humanoids go back for 10 million years. It seems unlikely humans
will survive another 50 million years. Then they will be forgotten.
Enjoy the moment as best a you can.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But they were not on earth far longer than it existed. Point is species go extinct and are not self destructive
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
None these critters were on Earth longer than the Earth existed.
Species become extinct for a variety of reasons.
Some of these reasons are still unknown within the Five Great Extinctions.
The writing on the wall concerning human extinction seems to be legible
at this time by examining the details of the Holocene Extinction.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, miistermagico wrote:
It seems unlikely humans will survive another 50 million years. Then they will be forgotten.

Exactly. Who reads dinosaur poetry these days?
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On May 15, 2018, miistermagico wrote:
It seems unlikely humans will survive another 50 million years. Then they will be forgotten.

Exactly. Who reads dinosaur poetry these days?

Parents of small children?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm just wondering who is claiming humans will exist forever? And why the inability to do so makes us self destructive? The self loathing some are inflicted with is incredible.

Who claimed self driving vehicle are safer? I see assertions made and not balked up. Lots of links but as a species I am pretty certain most still think driving themselves is safer.

Humans are careless often, and become content. I don't believe self destructive is a good description.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If some one is told that a certain behavior is harmful and continues to partake in that behavior, they can be considered self destructive.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On May 16, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:
If some one is told that a certain behavior is harmful and continues to partake in that behavior, they can be considered self destructive.

I've heard it said "that insanity is making the same mistakes and expecting different results" but don't ask me where.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On May 16, 2018, ed rhodes wrote:

Kinda depends on who's watching and who has the authority to "tell".
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
The past records of humanity are filled with the horrible atrocious behavior of humans acted upon humans.
This was not due to accident or carelessness this was due to the deliberate destruction of other humans. (Self-destruction).
The genocide of Native Americans, others yesterday, and still today are examples.
The recent raping and burning of women in India were not products of negligence.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Are electric cars worse for the environment?

https://www.politico.com/agenda/story/20......t-000660

"What I found is that widespread adoption of electric vehicles nationwide will likely increase air pollution compared with new internal combustion vehicles. You read that right: more electric cars and trucks will mean more pollution."

"So, if electric-vehicle subsidies don’t help the environment, what—or who—do they help? Most electric-vehicle buyers are far wealthier than average Americans. A nationwide survey in 2017 found that 56% had household incomes of at least $100,000 and 17% had household incomes of at least $200,000. (In 2016, median household income for the US as a whole was less than $58,000.) So it’s fair to say the subsidies disproportionately benefit the wealthy at the expense of the poor, who cannot afford to buy even subsidized electric vehicles or live in their own homes to take advantage of residential chargers or solar panels."
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Let's keep an eye on the electric vehicles (busses) in China and South Korea they may be catching on fire.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

From the linked article with a few words in bold:
Quote:
So what to do? First, Congress should immediately terminate those electric-vehicle tax credits, which just benefit the wealthy. Congress should also eliminate zero-emissions credits, which electric-vehicle manufacturers have used to boost their bottom line – $860 million for Tesla alone in the last three years. And third, states should eliminate their various subsidies for electric vehicles and charging infrastructure, which are also paid for disproportionately by the poor and are contributing to rising electric rates.

Or was that the plot of Batman Returns
Quote:
Meanwhile, Shreck's secretary, Selina Kyle, discovers the true purpose of Shreck's power plant to drain Gotham of its energy and bring the city under Shreck's control

... no wait, the movie villain only wanted a permit, not public funding, for his plan to cost citizens money by raising energy costs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (153 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..45..87..129..171..211~212~213~214~215..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL