The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (152 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..43..83..123..163..201~202~203~204~205..210..214..218..222..224~225~226 [Next]
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear Mystery Entertainers,
Things got brighter in the 1950's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6bHs8Vm3EQ
Prefer to leave you on a happy note.
Sincerely,
miistermagico
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4582 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2018, miistermagico wrote:

Nostalgia is fun, but fantasy. Viewers might entertain themselves seeing if they can spot the one non-white person in the 7 minute video. Evidently there was a shortage of them in 1950s America.
"I use my five illusions to create the sense I'm useful to six."

You can read my daily blog at Musings, Memories, and Magic
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Dear landmark,
I noticed that too. Certainly the 50s film was one of WHITE fantasy containing RACIST BLIND SPOTS.
BLIND SPOTS are also observed in the glamorous people portrayed by magazine illustrators in the 50's.
BLIND SPOTS with the 40-50's pinup girls. Josephine Baker was supposedly the first major
black movie star. Introducing: Josephine Baker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephine_Baker
A fictional account of the childhood of the entertainer Josephine Baker containing some
basic true facts is "Ragtime Tumpie" illustrated by noted artist Bernie Fuchs.
Introducing: Bernie Fuchs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Fuchs

For you, Babe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNfgDOlnyA
Sincerely,
miistermagico
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
Historical data maybe imperfect, but it remains the only unbiased way to measure risk and make assumptions about the future.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26807 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nostalgia, it’s even better than you remembered Smile

It’s in choosing which data to include ... for example:

9 out of 10 dentists in our survey of studio audience members said...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26807 Posts

The environment is not improving... call for the head of the EPA to resign.

It’s not a blindspot. You can’t see your blindspots. There is usually a disclaimer about stories taking place once upon a time in a land far away ...
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cro......warming/

"Should We Chill Out about Global Warming?"

"In his Breakthrough essay, Pinker spells out a key assumption of ecomodernism. Industrialization “has been good for humanity. It has fed billions, doubled lifespans, slashed extreme poverty, and, by replacing muscle with machinery, made it easier to end slavery, emancipate women, and educate children. It has allowed people to read at night, live where they want, stay warm in winter, see the world, and multiply human contact. Any costs in pollution and habitat loss have to be weighed against these gifts.”

(ecomodernism or I would say 'capitalsim' for those here who absolutely hate it.)

In the second essay,

"Boisvert begins:

“How bad will climate change be? Not very. No, this isn’t a denialist screed. Human greenhouse emissions will warm the planet, raise the seas and derange the weather, and the resulting heat, flood and drought will be cataclysmic. Cataclysmic—but not apocalyptic. While the climate upheaval will be large, the consequences for human well-being will be small. Looked at in the broader context of economic development, climate change will barely slow our progress in the effort to raise living standards.”"

"Boisvert comments: “A headline like ‘Despite climate change, rising food production will save millions of lives’ isn’t great click-bait, but it would give a truer picture of a future under global warming.” He adds: “Global warming won’t wipe us out or even stall our progress, it will just marginally slow ordinary economic development that will still outpace the negative effects of warming and make life steadily better in the future, under every climate scenario.”"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26807 Posts

- http://progressandperil.com/2018/02/23/t......climate/
Quote:
To see why, consider a 2016 Newsweek headline that announced “Climate change could cause half a million deaths in 2050 due to reduced food availability.”...
- which is about what percent of deaths due to cars or ... Smile anyway his sources are linked at the bottom of his article.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet......abstract ?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2651 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2018, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2018, miistermagico wrote:

Nostalgia is fun, but fantasy. Viewers might entertain themselves seeing if they can spot the one non-white person in the 7 minute video. Evidently there was a shortage of them in 1950s America.

Isaac Asimov did a series of "Greatest Science Fiction Stories in the Year XX." One of the stories had to do with dissatisfaction in the present causing time to go wonky; A family gets a group photo, but when it's developed, the children are older and there's a different woman standing next to the man, a woman shoos away a full-grown Lab that keeps greeting her, years later she adopts a puppy which she raising to adulthood and then it vanishes on her, she realizes that she shooed away her own dog! The narrator reaches the conclusion that we are so worried and upset at the present, that we are tearing time itself apart! Isaac points out that the story was written and published in 1953, a time we currently think of as a quiet, happy time before the turmoil of the 60's.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4313 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2018, miistermagico wrote:
Historical data maybe imperfect, but it remains the only unbiased way to measure risk and make assumptions about the future.

Just not assumptions that cause the gov't to control, raise taxes and intervene in citizens daily lives for something that is "assumed" and yet to be proven.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
207 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2018, rockwall wrote:.

"Boisvert comments: “A headline like ‘Despite climate change, rising food production will save millions of lives’ isn’t great click-bait, but it would give a truer picture of a future under global warming.” He adds: “Global warming won’t wipe us out or even stall our progress, it will just marginally slow ordinary economic development that will still outpace the negative effects of warming and make life steadily better in the future, under every climate scenario.”"

To be clear, are you arguing that climate change isn't happening or that it is happening but it doesn't really matter?

Those are two entirely different positions.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I don't think I've ever argued that climate change isn't happening.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4313 Posts

Profile of RNK
April 6th and still getting cold and snow in Western PA. Please global warming, come my way! We are all tired of the cold and snow.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Https://nypost.com/2018/04/16/kids-sue-r......-change/

Immoral?

Pesky kids. Actually thinking they have a right to be concerned about their own future. How DARE they?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4313 Posts

Profile of RNK
Oh my. These poor kids. Anyway, I really wish we would have some Global Warming here in the Northeast. This weather is horrible, cold and snowy on April 17th with the high in the mid 30's!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19123 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Show me where one has a right to a stable climate system.

Useful idiots abusing the system.

The suit is brought by a radical environmental movement and turns kids into props for their cause after some brainwashing and indoctrination.

Not really something to be proud of.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Well said.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26807 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 17, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
Show me where one has a right to a stable climate system.

how's this:
Quote:
SECTION 7. Natural resources and scenic beauty.—
(a) It shall be the policy of the state to conserve and protect its natural resources and scenic beauty. Adequate provision shall be made by law for the abatement of air and water pollution and of excessive and unnecessary noise and for the conservation and protection of natural resources.
(b) Those in the Everglades Agricultural Area who cause water pollution within the Everglades Protection Area or the Everglades Agricultural Area shall be primarily responsible for paying the costs of the abatement of that pollution. For the purposes of this subsection, the terms “Everglades Protection Area” and “Everglades Agricultural Area” shall have the meanings as defined in statutes in effect on January 1, 1996.
History.—Am. by Initiative Petition fi......ed 1998.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19123 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What does that give one a "right" to? How exactly is that an INDIVIDUAL right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I dunno guys.

The young are registering to vote, affecting more and more elections; and they don't care about how much fear and denial anyone is in.

History will show this time as the last gasp of the desperate, old, stupid, predominately white, greedy cowards.

Can't wait.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » New Report on Global Warming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (152 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..43..83..123..163..201~202~203~204~205..210..214..218..222..224~225~226 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL