The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Mind Writer" by Tango Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Marcelo Insúa demoed this during his Penguin live lecture. Like his TUC coin, he's made some modifications to the traditional boon.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15974
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
$60 for a boon, it must be the best boon ever for that Price. It will be interesting o see the reviews when they come in ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
685 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
It did look really good on his Penguin lecture, but I agree with you George, it's very expensive for a Boon!
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2573 Posts

Profile of NeilS
The big question is, is it a boon to use?
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3203 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Mr Tango showed to me in Blackpool this year, is indeed a very good boon writer and the shape and size are perfect to write, also he has a very cool way to load the boon, hopefully he explain this in the dvd Smile
I know he has developing this for lomg time, so I understand why have this price tag, is a road tested item.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'm watching Marcelo's Penguin lecture right now. His routines and handling of the MInd Writer are excellent. Perhaps someone that has one can chime in. Although anyone that would use this device professionally, would not comment on a public forum about it, me thinks;-)
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I ordered this, and, unfortunately, I think it is terrible! It has a very large writing head and the writing looks like a thick charcoal pencil writing. I rarely return something I have purchased, because I don't return something if it is not my taste. I only return something if I feel it is defective. I feel the design of this is defective. I would have to get a charcoal pencil that writes around ten times thicker than a normal pencil to match. It just doesn't make sense. I was hoping this would be something where I could load 0.9mm lead pieces.
KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
After writing my review, I had a second thought. If someone does get a very thick charcoal pencil and have a participant write something with the pencil to sell the thick charcoal like writing, then you could use the boon writer, and that might be good for parlor magic where a thicker writing would be more legible by people at a distance of perhaps 10 to 15 feet away. If this appeals to someone, then I suppose it is not bad.

However, I still find it hard to justify the price tag. I have several boon writers, some of which have the same thick charcoal looking writing, and frankly this one isn't that different from others. It is flesh colored, with flesh colored adhesive putty like Dexter, but I would still be cautious in not showing my thumb as it still stands out as something unnatural stuck to your thumb.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Personally, I like to use more natural props, so it wouldn't feel right for me to use a thick charcoal pencil in an effect.

KJ
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
461 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
Hello everybody here.
The new boon is a device made it in aluminiun and with a special design that make the boon totaly different to the previous ones, when you use this device you will feel totaly confident, because I got to change the center of the gravity of the traditional boon thanks to the new desing that include some steps to stabilize the device as you write, it took me two years performing and doing small changes to get the current model.
The set includes a DVD with my handling and effects.

Finally, this is a messagge for 1KJ and for all the customers that get the Mind Writter, it has a led of 5 mm, but OF COURSE, you can shape the led to get the thick that you want, I explain it in the DVD. Just get a nail file and shape it up to you.
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
Hi Mr. Tango,

Is this like LISTO writing?
How is the refill of the boon?

thanks!
Mr. Tango
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
461 Posts

Profile of Mr. Tango
I don't know the LISTO writing.
It is very easy to change led
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
LISTO / GREASE / CHINA MARKER

1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Mr. Tango,
Thank you for your reply. I usually use a standard #2 pencil. These are most common here. The #2 pencil, when sharpened, is probably around 1 mm to 2 mm. The Mind Writer is 5 mm as you say. I DO like the design, I just don't like the thickness of the lead. Mine came very flat, so I can't shape it as you suggest. Mine doesn't look like the ones in the video where you are talking about replacing the lead. They have a bit of a point to them and extend a few mm. Mine is almost flat to the writer. Did I get a used one, perhaps? I think I would really like it if I had one that had a bit of a point to it or at least had some room to file it down to a point as you suggest. I think that would solve the problem. I have many Tango products and I have not been dissapointed on any other effects. Perhaps you can help me with this? Would it be possible for you to send me a new one that is not flat? I don't need the video, as I already have that. By the way, the video is very good, with several VERY good routines.

Thanks,

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Unfortunately, I must say I'm disappointed with this. I exchanged a few PMs with Mr. Tango and he wanted $20 more to send a replacement. So, for $60 I got a boon writer that was totally flat, and to get a replacement for the defective product, it is going to cost me the same as full price for what I think is a comparable boon writer. I've decided I can make a better boon writer myself for a whole lot less.

Most magic dealers are so eager to make good on any problem, I think because the magic community is such a small one. In this case, not the case.

I could always go back to Penguin Magic, where I purchased it to make the purchase "right", but I won't because Penguin Magic has always done right by me and I feel like I went back to the originator and they weren't willing to do right, so I don't want to put Penguin Magic in the awkward position of trying to fix this when I wasn't successful.

So, if you do purchase this boon writer, be warned. I received an inferior product for a very high price and didn't get a reasonable resolution to a problem.

If Tango Magic wants to make good, I'll update this thread.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks for the review 1KJ.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I think it would have been a better business decision to just send me a replacement boon writer that is not defective without be being out more money, particularly given the pretty high price. I'll wait and see.
max88
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of max88
Quote:
On 2013-10-29 02:51, 1KJ wrote:
I think it would have been a better business decision to just send me a replacement boon writer that is not defective without be being out more money, particularly given the pretty high price. I'll wait and see.

Anyone else get this product?
How is it compare with LBB boon besides it is more thick?
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1058 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I tried using this boon gimmick, and it's indeed much easier than other types I try so far. The issue is what kind of pencil / pen I have to use to match with this gimmick ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Mind Writer" by Tango Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL