The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Shift: Picks of the Week by Chris Ramsay » » UNWRAPPED # 001 / Polyester & Silver Swindle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
Hey Guys!

Murphy's Magic presents UNWRAPPED 001 – Weekly Product Review with Kyle Marlett

We’re taking new magic to the street to see if it has what it takes to get the reactions you’re looking for.

Watch for details on winning both of these products!

In this episode:

Polyester by Ziva Kiva: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=51799

Silver Swindle by Romanos and Dave Forrest: http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=52036

Enjoy!
Kyle
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Nice job, Kyle.

I enjoyed seeing the actual, un-cut, live performances for real people which are as useful to anyone looking to purchase a product as any review is. I was worried it was going to be a complete puff piece given the association with Murphy's, but you seemed to bring up legitimate issues you had which is appreciated. Looking forward to future reviews.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Very good show with unbiased, honest reviews. It is good to see a review show with routines performed for real people. Look forward to the weekly shows.

Michael
New York
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
That was refreshing! Kyle's a talented, charismatic performer and he brought that to the review show. Doing a live performance for the product is the way to go as reviewers tend to give glowing or poor reviews without ever having performed it for a stranger.

I carry the Silver Swindle gimmick ( I got it when it was called Gerti ). You can give them a reading based on what coin they kept/gave away. "I can tell you're the type of person...........so you would have given me the coin with the drawing".
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Great, the more "honest" reviews we get the better. Looking forwards to more of these.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I really like the show. I'll be watching every episode you produce from now on.

I espeically like how you show a live performance of each trick. that part is excellent.

however, I thought both tricks you reviewed this week were really bad. Polyester is just a card revelation... and not a very good revelation at that. it makes no sense. and if for whatever reason you decide to actually use it.. .you're gonna have to buy refills at some point. there are just so many better revealtions out there, I can't see why anyone would actually use this.

Silver Swindle I also thought was pretty bad. it might make it a little better if you agreed to give the person $20 if you guessed wrong... it would give them some incentive to try and fool you and make it more exciting for them. and the fact that you can't use borrowed quarters is another negative.

anyways... looking forward to watching more reviews... I just hope you review some better tricks. one of the things I like about the wizard product review is that they rate the tricks out of 100 at the end... and if it's a bad trick, they trash it and give it a bad mark... which is always funny. I'm guessing you're never really gonna trash a trick. it's good that you pointed out some negatives... but you might as well just call a spade a spade and say that it's garbage and tell everyone not to buy it.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 22:15, AdamChance wrote:

Silver Swindle I also thought was pretty bad. it might make it a little better if you agreed to give the person $20 if you guessed wrong... it would give them some incentive to try and fool you and make it more exciting for them. and the fact that you can't use borrowed quarters is another negative.

You don't have to gamble to make it interesting. Ever do a routine where they pick a card and you tell them to name it and they smile and say " you tell me what it is". People naturally like to play stump the Magician. hat's exciting enough for them.

You can borrow one of the quarters. Someone with performing talent could borrow both and do a switch.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 22:36, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 22:15, AdamChance wrote:

You don't have to gamble to make it interesting. Ever do a routine where they pick a card and you tell them to name it and they smile and say " you tell me what it is". People naturally like to play stump the Magician. hat's exciting enough for them.

You can borrow one of the quarters. Someone with performing talent could borrow both and do a switch.

fair enough. the point I was trying to make about not borrowing the quarters is that it's not impromtu... so you've gotta be carrying around your speical quarter to do the effect.

but I still don't think it's a very strong effect.

and I'm canadian, so I couldn't use american quarters (without it being very suspecious).

I donno... just doing two 50/50 guesses + a multiple out isn't a great trick IMO... plus you need to carry around your special quarter plus the card box w/ writing + the card inside (if you perform it like this guy did).

I forget the name of the effect, but there's an impromtu effect that uses three objects, you get them to push two forward and pull one back. all you need is 3 objects, and a pen and paper... that's better than this one IMO.

I'm just saying that maybe if it could be done impromtu, it might be worth learning... but otherwise, it's pretty weak and there are way better versions of this style of trick out there.

at first I thought that maybe it was magnetic or steel core... so therefore you could at least use the coin for other effects too... but I guess that's not the case.

anyways... definately not my style of trick. though I suppose if it works for some people, good for them. if I wanted to do this type of trick, I would rather guess which hand they were holding it in. even though the spectator might not know the method, having the magician holding one of the coins makes the trick less strong IMO.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Well, you have to use what fits you. Horses for courses and such.

I did enjoy Kyle's show very much.
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
As for justification of the red stickers in Polyester well you could call it a piece of 'infrared film'.
I think that would pass by 99% of the people you meet. As for having to stick it down twice, say that it
needs to be stuck on precisely the correct spot. You stick it down. Then lift it and adjust its position
a fraction of an inch and restick it. done.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm excited that you're all digging Unwrapped!

My goal is to have a show with honest reviews by taking the magic to the real world and seeing its true reactions. In future episodes we're going to get more selective in what we review and make sure they are the latest effects.

I would love to take request! If there is a effect you want to see reviewed please let me know and we can make it happen!

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far. I'm still playing around with the format of the show, but am all ears for your suggestions - this show is for you, so tell me what you want!

Kyle
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Awesome review show Kyle and unique because you take the tricks and try them Smile

Sent you a PM about a suggestion !
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-09-29 13:13, KyleMarlett wrote:
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the kind words! I'm excited that you're all digging Unwrapped!

My goal is to have a show with honest reviews by taking the magic to the real world and seeing its true reactions. In future episodes we're going to get more selective in what we review and make sure they are the latest effects.

I would love to take request! If there is a effect you want to see reviewed please let me know and we can make it happen!

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far. I'm still playing around with the format of the show, but am all ears for your suggestions - this show is for you, so tell me what you want!

Kyle

something that I would enjoy would be reviewing one new trick and one old trick per episode. the old trick doesn't necessarily have to be a "classic" trick... but maybe a trick that's say 5 years old that is good, but people maybe forgot about it.

I also like DVD reviews and digital download reviews.

for example... next show could be a reivew + performance of Envy-lope and Digital Dissolve. Something like that.

cause I've only been doing magic again for just over 2 years now, and I feel like there might be some good material that I'm overlooking because it came out a while ago and people just aren't talking about it much anymore.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Well done. I appreciate it. The one thing that annoys me though is the non-stop repetitive music in the background - I know you do it to give the show energy, but it really bugs me. Maybe it's just me. The DVD from Envylope is like that also - maybe a great trick, but I could barely stand to watch the dvd with it cause they kept playing the same repetitive music through the whole thing. Is it just me that is annoyed by that stuff? I'll still watch your show though - not a big deal, I just thought I'd go on a mini-rant about my pet peeve! Thanks.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
The music was a little loud and obvious.
Official Thread Killer
SociallyAwkwardPenguin
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of SociallyAwkwardPenguin
Be good to see a review show put out by someone that isn't a magic dealer. Obviously as Murphy's is behind this, I can't see bad reviews of Murphy's products being made.

An independent review show would be really good...
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
Great job Kyle. Love the idea of live demos for real audiences. Your performances were excellent.
The only comments I'd have - having background music the whole time was a little bit annoying, and it will be interesting to see you perform stronger tricks (neither of the first two were especially great).
Nothing to do with your performances - they were excellent - it's the effects themselves I'm talking about.

I also liked your comments about strengths and weaknesses; especially given the sponsored nature of the show, that's good to hear.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Great shoe Kyle. Like the live performances.

Polyester is an intriguing card reveal. Can you use business cards as surface to reveal chosen card? Then you could just leave that behind with spec.

Silver Swindle was boring. Nothing entertaining nor magical about it.
KyleMarlett
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of KyleMarlett
Hey Everyone!

Thanks again for all the kinds words and the suggestions! I’m excited for you guys to see this coming up episode of Unwrapped!

To answer your question about doing Polyester on business cards, I just tried and it seemed to work perfect on cards that are UV coated or “shinny” but when you perform it on a plain card stock business card it will peel up some of the card when you rip off the sticker.

Hope that helps

Kyle
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Decent show and seems like a great process to review. Didn't care for either trick though. I'll keep watching.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Shift: Picks of the Week by Chris Ramsay » » UNWRAPPED # 001 / Polyester & Silver Swindle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL