We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Seeking an archive of Houdini's publicity stunts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Hi all,

Maybe someone here has a better memory than I do! Not all that long ago, I remember seeing a list of all the known places where Houdini did his upside down SJ escape. The resource listed the city and even the actual location that he used. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I too remember seeing it, but also can't remember where. Can you do a search on The Magic Café?

Mick
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Tried that and either it wasn't the Café, or I'm not using the right search words. Good to know, though, that someone else remembers this and I'm not crazy! Surely someone knows where to look!
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
736 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
We had a debate a while back re: Houdini's first USD in a jacket--it possibly being from a flagpole in Australia (I think it stemmed from a trivia Q. posed by The Cannons - as to when & where HH did his first USD straitjacket escape.
Try searching on that info.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I must be having a senior moment. It was ME who posted the list!!!!!

Here it is;

The first mention of a Strait Jacket escape I have is September 23-28 at the Melini Theatre, Hanover, in 1901, but it is not mentioned whether it was a suspended escape. I would think it would have been a standing escape on stage, and not outdoors as a publicity stunt.

No mention of any outdoor stunts when he played the UK, until much later, but no mention of a suspended Strait Jacket escape in the UK at all.

First UK mention, was April 17-22, 1911, Burnley Palace Theatre, on stage in full view of the audience.

The next date I have is September 6th 1914 in Kansas City. Again no details about how it was presented.

September 30th, 1915, Minneapolis, still no details.

Now we come to DEFINITE outside suspended escapes;

January 17-22 1916...The News Building, Commerce and Lammar Streets, Dallas TX

March 16 1916...Milwaukee Journal Building. Out in 3 minutes

March 30th 1916...Longacre Square Battery, New York

October 31st 1916...Erie Canal and Exchange St, Rochester NY

November 6th 1916...Sun Building, Pittsburch PA

November 15 1916...Pickering Building, Cincinnati OH

November 29 1916...County Jail Room, Grand Rapids MI

December 20 1916...John Harkness Brown Building, Cleveland OH

February 28 1917...B.F.Keith's Building, Boston MA

March 7 1917...Bronwell Building, Providence RI

November 5 1917...Broadway and 45th to 46th Streets, New York. 50 feet in the air

There exists a few movie clips of suspended escapes, one particular one dated 1919, in Times Square New York.

All the above information can be found in the "Illustrated Houdini Research Diaries", by Frank Koval.

I also found this in Patrick Culliton's "Houdini Unlocked"

"When did he first perform the upside down jacket?...In late March, 1910, Houdini moved to the Tivoli Theatre, (later to be the Embassy Theatre)in Castleton Street, Sydney (Australia)...Possibly his most spectacular staunt was a straight-jacket escape while he was hanging by the heels at the end of a flagpole, from the Market Street exit of His Majesty's Theatre, which was but a few doors from the Tivoli Theatre"

Hope all this is helpful.(It sure helps sometimes having a Houdini library!!!)
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 14:02, freefallillusion1 wrote:
I'm not crazy!

Hey no one said that you're not crazy! Just cus you remember something and so does someone else..... Heck if that was the only criteria .....eveni would be "not crazy"!

Hope you find your post.....which ever fence it's in.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-09-28 23:16, freefallillusion1 wrote:
Hi all,

Maybe someone here has a better memory than I do! Not all that long ago, I remember seeing a list of all the known places where Houdini did his upside down SJ escape. The resource listed the city and even the actual location that he used. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Thanks!

Try here ......anyone else getting a feeling of DeJa Vu.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Mick- Thanks a ton! This is EXACTLY the info I was looking for. See there, we can use the Café to do more than just argue! Smile
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 18:38, freefallillusion1 wrote:
to do more than just argue! Smile

no we don't !
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Many more newspaper articles are showing up all the time. He did a straight jacket escape at a local asylum here in L.A. in 1907. He featured the straight jacket often onstage.
Bill Kalush and I tried hard to find some documentation for the story that Houdini did an upside down straight jacket hanging from a flagpole on the corner of a particular building during his 1910 Australian tour. The story came from a very good article in Magicol magazine by Alfred Hayes. A young lady in Australia was also looking for some verification. No press accounts have been found that mention that he was hanging upside down though he performed the straight jacket as a challenge fairly often onstage.
He actually was performing the greatest outdoor stunts of his life when he made several flights in different cities in Australia in his Voisin airplane. He was the first man to successfully meet the criteria that defined a successful flight in a heavier than air craft on the continent of Australia.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Joe Notaro mentioned it on my blog the other day that Houdini may have learned this from Randini. To read a little more about it, click on the link below.

http://houdinihimself.com/?p=4974
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
houdinisghost
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of houdinisghost
Randini is a fascinating guy and I firmly believe that Randini showed Houdini his own version of the straight jacket escape, which was upside down, hanging from a beam in the attic of his family's home, before Houdini ever performed the upside down straight jacket--in public.
I've got a page about him in Houdini--the Key. I also have a chapter called "the Inventors" which presents some facts about Josolyne (Walking Through a Brick Wall), Bert Clark (the Iron Boiler and the Iron Box), Dr. Waitt (the Plate Glass Box), and Jimmy Collins (the secret of the Torture Cell and the Double Death-Defying Mystery), Lewis Paul (the challenge Handcuff Act), William A. Russell (the Paper Bag escape, M.M. Wood (the Milk Can), Charles Morritt (the Elephant Vanish), I'm doing this off the top of my head but I could keep going, Theo Hardeen (Straight-Jacket Escape in Full View of Audience). I could keep going. A lot of people helped Houdini. He was a great presenter. He was constantly writing down ideas for magic and escapes. But a lot of people sold him their creations. Houdini would write words of praise for them as magic inventors, but, he never mentioned what they had invented for HIM.
I really got into that aspect (the inventors) in Houdini--the Key.
I think Randolph Robert Osborne Douglas almost certainly belongs in the ranks of the creative minds that helped Houdini as the inspiration for Houdini's great outdoor feat, the Upside-Down Straight Jacket. It was probably Houdini who realized he could play to huge crowds from the right place and high up.
DavisG
View Profile
New user
Virginia
34 Posts

Profile of DavisG
My grandmother, who was born in 1902, told me that she saw Houndini do his straight jacket escape in Baltimore, Maryland when she was a little girl. She couldn't remember what year that was though.
GUNNARSON
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of GUNNARSON
I am currently preforming in China so I don't have my files, but Houdini also preformed his upside down st. jacket escape in a number of cities in Canada. I have pictures and newspaper clippings of them. Here is a photo of him that recently reappeared in a Winnipeg newspaper;
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/g......532.html

It's a great picture!!!
"Nothing Is Impossible, If You Truly Believe!"

www.alwaysescaping.com
John Cox
View Profile
Elite user
Studio City, CA
494 Posts

Profile of John Cox
Quote:
On 2013-09-30 14:12, Moxahalla wrote:
We had a debate a while back re: Houdini's first USD in a jacket--it possibly being from a flagpole in Australia (I think it stemmed from a trivia Q. posed by The Cannons - as to when & where HH did his first USD straitjacket escape.
Try searching on that info.

Check this out. Joe Notaro has nailed down what is generally accepted to be HH's first suspended jacket escape, although I would be interested in hearing more about this Australian flagpole thing.

http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/10/......nis.html

Mick -- this article will give you the details you need for the two Sept 1915 escapes in KC and Minneapolis.
Please visit my blog

WILD ABOUT HARRY
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Seeking an archive of Houdini's publicity stunts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL