The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Ideas for The Web (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
I just got The Web, by Jim Pace, and was thinking of making my own variations of it for different occasions. For example, the effect as is is perfect for Halloween, but not as suited for around Christmas time, so if I changed it to "The Present" or "The Manger" ... it would fit better.

With that in mind, here are some ideas I came up with for Christmas:

1) Use a small bow instead of the spider, and have a picture of a present that's ... lacking something. Have them wave their hands over the card to make a bow appear.

2) While reciting The Night Before Christmas, show the cards all blank, then they all turn to mouseholes. (Ideally, this would coincide with "...not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.") Interrupt the poem and comment that the mouse is sleeping or something, and to make him appear, the spectator needs to wave their hands over the cards. Lo and behold, there's a small mouse toy on the back of their hand! Smile

3)Incorporating this into more of a Gospel Magic theme, the image that appears on the cards is a manger scene, only the manger is empty. Where's the baby Jesus? On the back of their hand, of course.

Any other ideas, for Christmas or just in general? Comments on my ideas? Smile
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
I really like the way you are thinking.

Anytime a magician takes a trick and adapts it to make it more effective, that is being creative.

In one of my magic lectures I share some adaptations with the same trick, except I use stickers. This way the spectator gets to take the sticker home.

Now, here is an extra idea.....how about using something else rather than cards?

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Something other than cards ... CDs could work, coins (?), tickets, business cards, pictures, etc. Or I can also imagine combining the ending of The Web with the mechanics of something else; perhaps you do an in-the-hand coin trick and they end up with a chocolate coin stuck to their hand.

That kinda what you had in mind? By the way, thanks for your reply. Smile
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Yes, Yes, Now you are really taking this trick to a level of great potential.

There are so many variations on this idea.

Here is couple of mine.

Use cotton balls doing a "put and take" sponge ball type trick. Tell the spectator that the balls are bunny tails. At the end to the trick a sticker of a bunny rabbit appears on the back of their hand.

Or do the same type of routine but use that white cob web material found around Halloween and the sticker of a spider appears on the back of the hand.

I have done both of these with great success.

My magic lecture notes has one other idea, which I will keep for the notes.

I hope this has inspired you to always take an idea and look for all the possibilities to make it better and more effective.

Steve Hart
Cape Canaveral, FL USA
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Thanks again, Steve. I think I'm going to have to do the opposite of you on the sponge ball routine, though; all I have are the Goshman 3D Bunnies, so calling them bunny tails probably wouldn't work. Smile

I can think of stuff that would work with those, though.

"I hope this has inspired you to always take an idea and look for all the possibilities to make it better and more effective."

Yeah, it's encouraged me to keep coming up with more variations on what I know. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Silverfire9
Now you've got me thinking. So, here's another idea. Keep with the cards and have the participant choose a card, remember it, and replace it. Of course the deck is counted in their hands and their card has vanished. Use a miniature card (the ones that are postage stamp size) for the revelation. The mini-card with some tape would work just like a sticker.
Nicholas
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
That's a good idea, too, Nicholas. I think I'd just have a packet rather than a complete deck, though. If I were the spectator, I wouldn't want to sit through the magician counting the whole 52 card deck into my hand. Smile

Perhaps do Out of This World (or Jay Sankey's variation, Dowsing), then use the twelve card packet you now have for this. Or any other trick where you end up with a packet of cards could be used as a lead-in, too. The only potential problem I could see there is that you might not be able to end up with the force card in the packet.

If you're good at handling the cards, though, I'm sure you could ensure the force card is present. I, myself, am not quite that good yet. Smile

I just thought of another variation with cards. Force a card, lose it in the deck (can be actually lost), then tell the spectator it will rise to the top of the deck and place the deck in her hand. You turn over the top card and it's not it. You repeat this a few times, looking more and more desperate. Then you have an idea and ask the spectator to wave her hands over the deck. Maybe that will make the card appear.

There's a miniature version of her card on the back of her hand. Smile

What do you think?
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Silverfire9,
Exactly! I think it would be very good. I'd love to try it to see what kind of reaction it creates. But, I also like your idea with coins...getting away from cards and using other objects. You can bet I'll be thinking about other possibilities for quite a while. I hope others will continue to add their ideas as well. Thanks again for bringing this whole thing up.
Nicholas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Ideas for The Web (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL