The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Want to change a coin into a ring? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I always like the idea of doing some coin magic and then changing the coin into a ring for some ring/string magic.

I just found these coins made from actual rings that look perfect and I was surprised at how reasonable the price was:

http://www.coincrafter.com/Ring_Showcase_Store.php
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Garrett Thomas has some work on that effect on Ring Thing I believe and those rings look perfect. Kinda cool anyways, nice find.
Bodgit
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Bodgit
Nice rings at a good price, importing one into the UK makes it a lot more expensive unfortunately.

As Russell said Ring Thing has coin to ring, also check out P3: Peter Pitchford Project. Multi phase, mindboggling spellboundy thing.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5180 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I have seen videos on how to make your own out of a coin, but they don't look near as nice as those and to be sized too... that's a pretty good deal.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That's funny Poof-Daddy because somehow I got to watching the video of the guy pounding the edge of a quarter until the edge mushrooms into a ring shape then drilling and filing out the middle to make a ring.

The resulting ring is smooth on the outside but shows the date and motto on the inside. I wanted the coin design to be all over and I saw the ad for these rings among the related videos on the side.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Magic Mike--Those are awesome rings. I agree that it would make an especially nifty transition moving from coins to rings with one of these--and they're just really nice daily-wear rings, too.
moechsle
View Profile
New user
Ĺrhus, Denmark
42 Posts

Profile of moechsle
Awesome! I want one of those!!!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I just got my finger sized at Wal-Mart for free as they recommend. I'm going to call them and see if I can get the coin I want/
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The site has some great advice on maintaining the finish. Either polished or antique. Creating the antique look is done with eggs. I might try it with my coins.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Just bought the Morgan ring.
What a great guy to deal with!
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I just ordered the Kennedy 1964. Yes, he is a great guy to deal with. I emailed him a suggestion for his site and he called me back to discuss it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ottphd
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of ottphd
Just received the Morgan ring wow this guy is an artist! Plan on buying additional rings, they are a thing of beauty!,l
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I love mine too. I got the polished finish but decided the antique finish would show off the design better (my vision is not great). He said to send it back and he would happily change the finish at no charge.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
After showing my ring to several people I've decided that the polished finish looks really nice. My vision is so bad that I can't see the detail but all of the people I showed it to could and they though it was amazing.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-10-04 03:59, MeetMagicMike wrote:

I just found these coins made from actual rings ...

http://www.coincrafter.com/Ring_Showcase_Store.php

You probably meant "I just found these rings made from actual coins" ...: nice trick, it fooled me

;)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Oops. I can't believe I did that.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6010 Posts

Profile of motown
Those are fantastic. Good find.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Beautiful ring. Smile

Speaking of changing a coin to a ring, I've been playing with that for years and actually have an effect where first a coin is shown, a half dollar or silver dollar. Then I do my Crimp Karate Koin effect with it to produce the hole with my finger sticking through it as the old effect goes. But then I finish up with a little thing I call my, "Ringa Dinga," Smile where I actually give out the coin for a quick examination before taking it back and smoothly turning it into one of these rings, and then very openly placing it on my finger, while showing my hands to be clean. It's a tremendous transformation and blows them away every time! Smile

The use of one of these coin rings in the effect carries the overall continuity of the coin to ring transformation nicely. I initially did it with a gold (brass) Chinese dollar size coin, turning it into my gold wedding band but the coin ring theme seemed better overall. And I developed a really slick method to getting it done, too. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3246 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
MB217,

I was talking to a friend about exactly that idea. I have a Karate coin and was going to dig it out and work on a handling. Are you willing to share your work or is it published somewhere?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
352 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Magic Mike

Japan Ingenious (book)

Dr. Sawa has a routine called - Marvelous Coin to Ring

Standing with a small group of spectators standing close to you, looking down at your hands. And the coin used is a half dollar.

Rudy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Want to change a coin into a ring? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL