The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Save your money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
reed kammerer
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of reed kammerer
What tricks have you gotten this year that you should save your money on and bought?
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1123 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Basically you want a list of "lemons".
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Harry the magic man
View Profile
Loyal user
Spokane, Washington
270 Posts

Profile of Harry the magic man
Spirit
Between the conception
And the creation
Between the emotion
And the response
Falls the Shadow
Life is very long- T.S. Eliot "The Hollow Men"
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
1123 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Inexplicable - this is not a bad trick, but I got the feeling that it was extremely over-hyped; there are better methods out there plus the implementation itself (the gimmicked prediction) could have been chosen better. Not worth it.
No Diary Diary - again, very nice idea with a bad implementation. No useful pattern for the performer to compute the card, but a visible pattern for the spectator with a chance to be picked up. Not really an improvement over the original Cronologue from Bob Cassidy. Although I have to say that the gimmick finish was perfect. I wish a little bit more thought was put into.
Kind of "what were they thinking".
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thumb Tips ( since they keep selling them ). They can't examine your hands and we know how important it is for punters to examine everything, otherwise the trick sucks ( in Vegas everyone leaves their seats and goes on stage to examine everything ).
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
1123 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Zombie, I guess you are attempting the prize for the worst analogy, right? Smile
If the thumb tip would have been shipped fluorescent green I would (almost) agree with you. The point is that a TT as a tool is supposed to never been seen by a spectator. A prediction (or the calendar cards which are in the hands of the spectator) is something totally different.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Have to agree with Zombie Magic. TT's are just to 'gimmicked' Pure slieght of hand is so much better.

I'm also disappointed with Sharpie Pens. That ink is way too permanent! Using one can totally spoil even a top quality deck of cards.

:)
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:51, paperinick wrote:
The point is that a TT as a tool is supposed to never been seen by a spectator.

??????????? I'll have to read the instructions again.

I bought my first one in 1965, made of metal so us kids could vanish lit cigs. Now we have a society of big babies where kids can't even bring knives to school. When will the madness end?
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Yeah. Lately I've been using a TT instead of IT
Not going well... I know spectators aren't supposed to be able to see it, but they keep asking me why I have the coin balanced on my thumb... Am I doing something wrong?
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
1123 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I think there is a misunderstanding. I will restate my point:
If you were a TT manufacturer and you could choose between skin color and fluorescent, which one would you choose? Choosing fluorescent when you have the option to go with something closer to skin color seems pretty dumb. That's all. This is I believe what happened with both tricks I mentioned. They could have gone skin-color but they picked fluorescent. What were they thinking...
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1399 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
True. I'd definitely like a fluorescent sharpie. Does anyone know if they are being manufactured?
Be ideal for dark venues.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
My first TT was metal, too. My dad gave it to me when I was 11 years old. I wish I still had it.

I'm trying to think of the worst trick I bought this year. I wasn't real crazy about "Coincidence" by Kreis Magic.

I thought it was cheaply made and the method could have been a lot better. Also, the coins weren't really glued - they were taped, so I thought the ad was misleading.

Robert
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Ballinger's DOS System looked great on the video demo. It's just "ok". It was only about $20 and you got a DVD. But it made things far more complicated than they needed to be and was a brand/color specific prop.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3590 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Hotel. Snooze fest. Not sure why I bought it.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Count me among those whose first TT was metal. And, yes, it was marketed as the disappearing cigarette in handkerchief trick.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of videoman
I believe what the original poster was trying to say was:

What tricks do you regret purchasing so far this year?
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 18:03, emyers99 wrote:

I actually had been contemplating getting this. Thanks for the heads up.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Fatgumbo
View Profile
Veteran user
Melbourne, Australia
301 Posts

Profile of Fatgumbo
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 20:05, Alwow wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 18:03, emyers99 wrote:

I actually had been contemplating getting this. Thanks for the heads up.

I have had hotel for a couple months and I use it all the time, I love it! It isn't really a presentation piece, but rather just a casual offbeat effect.. I love performing it! Pretty much self-working too. No sleights
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3590 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Old method and a lot to carry. I tried to give away at last magic meeting and no one wanted it. It works fine. Just not that powerful IMO.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2068 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 21:03, emyers99 wrote:
Old method and a lot to carry. I tried to give away at last magic meeting and no one wanted it. It works fine. Just not that powerful IMO.

Agreed. I really wanted to like it. Just seemed too contrived.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Save your money (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL