The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford's 13 Monkeys‏ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
I think it's as Impromptu as any other effect using a gimmick (you have to have it on you), but I am more upset by the claim "The billets aren’t switched." I didn't go into detail in my other post on this (didn't want to reveal that part the method), but since Maddy did, this claim from the ad is simply not true.
Don't get me wrong- it's a powerful effect, and you could develop your own variation with it, and it would be worth every penny you paid (If you have the ability to do a clean switch) I think you will like it. However, I am BAD at a switch. Bad, Bad Bad. So a little disapointed there. It's still worth it for Docc's take on using the gimmick. His simplified method for setting it up is worth the $19.
Chris
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
Just a follow up-
Docc was kind enough to ask if I wanted a refund if I wasn't happy with my purchase, and I declined. Like I said, I like the effect, and am especially interested in the non-card variations. Anyway, I still like Docc and confirms my belief in his professionalism and his products.
Chris
Docc Hilford
View Profile
V.I.P.
373 Posts

Profile of Docc Hilford
And now, because of a few, you can NEVER be fooled by it.
Not in the ad copy.
Not in the video (as Maddy was).
Never.
No joy here.

BTW, there is no Santa Clause either!

Better not mention suicide, some one will encorage it!
No joy here.

Have fun.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I still love the routines and ideas within. It's a great but and I'm very glad that I purchased it. I still encourage others to purchase as well. I was just stating what I saw as a little misleading advertisement.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:01, Docc Hilford wrote:
Not in the ad copy.
Never.
No joy here.

No joy here.

Have fun.

Agreed, your posts are exceedingly joyless.

Docc, you can write ads well enough to make them intriguing without making them bullshi--.

if your trick isn't good enough to fool us without lying about it, so what? Wouldn't you rather have happy customers than deceived ones? This notion that you were just trying to let us experience "joy" by being fooled by the trick is maudlin garbage. You just wanted to sell more. No fault there. But if you want to sell more by fooling your customers (and I would suggest that your routining is powerful enough that you don't need to rely on fooling us for us to see the strength in your work) then step it up on your end and create something that fools us without being dishonest about the conditions.

Alternatively you can continue to try and deflect the issue and make it as though the people who thought "no switching" meant "no switching" are joyless lunatics.
cboscari
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of cboscari
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:10, Magic.Maddy wrote:
I still love the routines and ideas within. It's a great but and I'm very glad that I purchased it. I still encourage others to purchase as well. I was just stating what I saw as a little misleading advertisement.

I agree.
HarryHaywire
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of HarryHaywire
I have to admit it. One of my great pleasures is to read Docc's ad copy and the descriptions he writes for his effects. They make me feel like a kid again reading my first magic catalogue. They portray the fun and mystery which most mentalists wish to create for their audiences. Isn't that why most of us got into this crazy field in the first place? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I for one hope Docc keeps working that mojo.
Wayne
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
746 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:20, HarryHaywire wrote:
I have to admit it. One of my great pleasures is to read Docc's ad copy and the descriptions he writes for his effects. They make me feel like a kid again reading my first magic catalogue. They portray the fun and mystery which most mentalists wish to create for their audiences. Isn't that why most of us got into this crazy field in the first place? I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I for one hope Docc keeps working that mojo.
Wayne

I agree. I usually love Docc's ads. Like him, I have an appreciation for the old style magic advertisements.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:20, HarryHaywire wrote:
Wayne

Wayne, I agree. I very much enjoy reading his ad copies. It makes all of his products seems like miracles (And perhaps some of them are)

I also wanted to say, now that Docc has pretty much explained everything I was being cryptic about, the beauty and genius of this system is that you lay down 3 billets at the very beginning, they name 3 free choices or events, etc. ANd by only switching ONE SINGLE BILLET All three are correct. That to me is where the beauty lies.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
992 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:14, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 15:01, Docc Hilford wrote:
Not in the ad copy.
Never.
No joy here.

No joy here.

Have fun.

Agreed, your posts are exceedingly joyless.

Docc, you can write ads well enough to make them intriguing without making them bullshi--.

if your trick isn't good enough to fool us without lying about it, so what? Wouldn't you rather have happy customers than deceived ones? This notion that you were just trying to let us experience "joy" by being fooled by the trick is maudlin garbage. You just wanted to sell more. No fault there. But if you want to sell more by fooling your customers (and I would suggest that your routining is powerful enough that you don't need to rely on fooling us for us to see the strength in your work) then step it up on your end and create something that fools us without being dishonest about the conditions.

Alternatively you can continue to try and deflect the issue and make it as though the people who thought "no switching" meant "no switching" are joyless lunatics.

!!!!!
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Joe loves to start fires lol
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
992 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
What Joe said is spot on, if you ask me.
Jack Straw
View Profile
Special user
Wichita
992 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Since I'm so new here, I'm just a little confused.

I understand about not telling the method, but lying about the method is OK and accepted here?
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 16:09, Jack Straw wrote:
Since I'm so new here, I'm just a little confused.

I understand about not telling the method, but lying about the method is OK and accepted here?

Well Docc didn't really lie about any of it, he just bent the truth a little.
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Since I'm snowed in, in the middle of a blizzard, in South Dakota. I'll offer my 2 cents.

First: Impromptu, I've known it as 'in readiness' for sometime. We can't preform any effect/trick/stunt/feat without first learning the method, therefore making us ready.

Some of the best improv comics are always ready with a well scripted bit and it raises them to a higher level. We should be ready, so the audience thinks it's spur of the moment, because that raises us to a higher level, too.

Second: I've been reading Docc's ads since there were for $30-40+ staple bond books, he is always a cunning linguist. It can take a little thought, a little faith or both, before ordered from Docc, because he makes you think, which is not a bad thing.

The ad is just the a warm up act before the show. I ordered 13 Monkey as so as I got the email. I watched the video and said wait a minute. Then reread the ad, turn my brain on. Thought about it, then smiled. Accurate to the letter.

Third: When's the QuestA Deck coming out? I don't even need to read the ad.

Just my thoughts,
~Gavin
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Gavin, he is the king if clever wording. There are almost like riddles.

However not sure if advertisement is the best place for riddles.
ash2arani
View Profile
Special user
914 Posts

Profile of ash2arani
I got this. And I LOVE the routine Docc explains in the video. I will hear the audio soon but this has awesome potential.

The 'switch' issue has been clarified here now and I made the purchase knowing about it.

The idea of 'free choice', yes, do not expect to ask them to name any city in the world and be able to predict that using this. At least not as clean as that. The applications for 13 Monkeys are different and it is limited by one's imaginations. One will need to work out the routine beforehand.

As for the idea of 'impromptu', to me, this is impromptu. But hey, I consider sw**mi writing impromptu. Some may agree, others will not.

I am happy with my purchase and I recommend it.
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 13:25, Jack Straw wrote:
And I couldn't agree with you more, Rich!

Purveyors of magic products just don't seem to get it, do they?

WOW! 22 posts. Thanks for taking the time to share...........
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 17:26, ash2arani wrote:
I got this. And I LOVE the routine Docc explains in the video. I will hear the audio soon but this has awesome potential.

The 'switch' issue has been clarified here now and I made the purchase knowing about it.

The idea of 'free choice', yes, do not expect to ask them to name any city in the world and be able to predict that using this. At least not as clean as that. The applications for 13 Monkeys are different and it is limited by one's imaginations. One will need to work out the routine beforehand.

As for the idea of 'impromptu', to me, this is impromptu. But hey, I consider sw**mi writing impromptu. Some may agree, others will not.

I am happy with my purchase and I recommend it.

Glad you like it! And actually, he teaches how to do this with cities in the MP3!

Should also mention, the routine is designed so that the switch is totally covered and you could have a TERRIBLE switch and it still be fine.
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Quote:
On 2013-10-05 17:32, RCP wrote:
WOW! 22 posts. Thanks for taking the time to share...........

The number of posts a member has written has no bearing on the value of their contributions.

I have not bought this product, but was interested enough in it to see what others thought. As I have stated before that I, as a potential customer, do not enjoy being deceived when the sole purpose of the deception is taking my money.

Now I know more about the effect from this thread, I can make an informed decision whether this is an effect which I would benefit from buying. It's a pity that it took a series of posts to allow me to do this, rather than accurate advertising.

Rich
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Docc Hilford's 13 Monkeys‏ (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL