The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I get a wand? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
If so, which would you recommend....

......I have not got a clue.
JesterJ
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of JesterJ
I don't think you should get one unless you already think you need it. A wand can be useful as a tool for misdirection, but it should fit into your stage persona and should seem natural. As an example, could you image David Blaine using a wand?

If you decide that you do want one, you should think about how you want it to be perceived - I've seen rough wood sticks, machined metal and fine wood examples. The one that would work for you should fit your persona.

If you're a beginner, then it's probably hard for you to say what your stage persona is. If that's the case, don't get anything for now.

Jester J
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Thanks jester....

Yes I am a newbie but I was thinking when I do little shows for kids, (nephews, nieces etc), maybe a wand would help for added effect.

I don't know what personna to use or adopt, but I have a few ideas.......

1. one personna for kids, friends of families etc...maybe using a wand.

2.a serious personna I want to work on for stage performances and close up (ie paid work, (if and when I get some)).

3.and a stupid one... I work with kids 10 to 18.... I would like a daft personna for a stage mind reading, predictions and "stupid magic"..

ok... that's my plan, give me 24 months......

thanks jes. Smile
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Where you will probably find the wand most useful is in the performance of the Cups and Balls. It´s almost indispensable and adorns your act rather well.

If you are going to have a wand, learn how to make the best use of it. Don´t have it just for window dressing. Wands are outstanding instruments for misdirection and, my favorite, VANISHES. David Williamson has some nice material with wands in his book "Williamson´s Wonders". Michael Ammar teaches some of these and more (including the Mora/Vernon Wand Spin)in Volume 2 of his DVDs on the Cups and Balls.

Here is a link to another section of this website which has plenty of information on wands:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......3&29

Good luck.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If you have no religous or other physical types of issues, Yes you should get one. A cheaper model so you can drop it and beat it up a bit while you are learning its uses and then get a better one after you handle it well.

The wand will set you aside from everyone else and lets them recognize, instantly that you are a magician.

Mere ownership will give credibility to your studies. Just make sure the performance will back that up.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Cool.... thanks guys...

you are right. I have just brought my first chop cup....

I will get a wand.....

love it.

thanks king and algran, I love this site..... it has been sooooo helpfull.....

I can't wait to get one. yipee
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Without knowing what you do, answering your question is a bit of a problem.

But, basically, I would say "yes, get a wand".

But -- and this is a BIG but -- know and understand the philosophy behind it and the reasons for it.

You don't want to be a performer who is pointlessly waving a stick!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
950 Posts

Profile of Aus
G'day ninjaduffy

I guess you have to know why you need a wand to have one. If it's to comply with the image of a magician and a wand, then I would say no, especially if your target group is an adult audience. It feels to me and this is just my opinion here that a wand being waved every second before a wonder is to take place is a bit childish. A wand has its place; don’t get me wrong, and I would not hesitate in using it in one or two of the effects in a routine if it added value but constant use in every effect could slow things down a bit and interrupt flow. If an effect that gains its effectiveness from it being performed In a fast fashion was slowed down because you had to fumble to find a wand to which you gave a great exaggerated wave, you would be giving yourself and the audience a disservice, not a gain. So think of terms of your act.

The childish factor wouldn’t be such a problem for a children’s performer as this is what you're trying to achieve with such performances. The magician with a top hat, tie and magic wand is still very real in a child’s eyes, so there would be no harm in that sense.

Do you need a wand to help a particular effect? There are a number of wands that are gimmicked is such a way that they are necessary to pull off the effect itself. The Vernon wand spin is a flourish that adds to Micheal Ammar's Cups and Balls routine as well as provides a misdirection element. The needs of the wand itself gives you a recommendion as to what one should get. If you did wont to perform the Vernon wand spin you would be seeking a wand that was well balanced, so to make your spins smooth and clean and so on.

SO why do you need one?

Magically

Aus
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Why............

well I don't know if I do.... Yet, I think it would help and add an extra element in performing magic to my nieces and nephews, and also I like the idea of a wand as a symbol of magic.

I wouldn't use it for a more adult audience; I think I would leave it in the drawer.

Also I am a bit flash at spinning things like trays, plates and drumsticks using my hand and fingers...... I think I would be able to master a wand flourish in a matter of hours. I would like the option, if you know what I mean....

So Aus, I think I will get one, well start looking anyhow.............

thanks Aus and happy Christmas.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Ninjaduffy,

Hi, and welcome to our world. Let me recommend a wand for you. The Mercury wand, sold on Michael Ammar's web site is the one I use. There are definitely prettier wands, but this one looks fine and is a workhorse. I drop this sucker all the time when practicing. It's basically indestructable. It is also easy to handle due to its construction. Also, the price is great. Good luck.

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Thanks Eric.............

I am going to check that out right now
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Something that "makes" the magic can be fun and
useful do to:

1. Use of take not put idea.
That is getting the wand while ditching

2. Fun wands such as
a. pickle
b. banana
c. classic wand
d. Harry Potterish Wand
e. Sound generating wand

Enjoy the journey

Of course defining your stage persona(s) as mentioned above will be helpful on your journey.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Tspall
View Profile
Regular user
Lumberton, NC
147 Posts

Profile of Tspall
Just a piece of advice...

I've got several friends who use wands and they have all referred to the fact that drumstick spinning has many similarities to wand spinning, so with your background, you should be able to come up with some great flourishes.
Tony
"It's showtime!!"
My magic blog:
http://ahora_mismo.blogspot.com/
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
You should use a wand or SOMETHING (magic coin, magic pencil, etc.) to have a reason to put your hand in your pocket once in a while.

Hint: NEVER waste a trip to your pocket.

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20519 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For the question, Should I have a wand? My response is Do you do magic with both hands? If the answer is No, you may not need a wand.

Unless you do grand illusion or a totally mental act, my position is that a wand is part of the show some where at sometime. You can use other items but a magician is allowed to use a wand just as a singer is allowed to use the microphone. It makes the show better, it directs attention, it misdirects attention, it buys time, it increases the size of the show, and it singles you out as the magician.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Chout
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chout
Wands can be very useful when you need to distract or mislead your victim. In fact, any extra prop can improve your performace, especially in front of little kids who get a kick out of such gimicks.
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
I got asked to do some magic for my 'new' relatives, my sister just remarried so I now have some new nephews. They are eight and ten, the very first thing they asked, before I'd even begun was "Where's your wand." They expect a magician to have one. Luckily I have one I've been practicing cups and balls with. So now I'm Uncle David the Magician, rather than just Uncle David who does tricks.

If you're going to perform for kids, I'd say it's a must.

David.

P.S. The only thing I used it for was to tap their hands when making sponge balls multiply, but that was what they were expecting.
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
I agree with many above....one of the first things I am always asked at any kids shows is Where is your magic wand?
If you don't have one then you aren't a magician in a childs mind.
And for how cheap wands are...well just have one as a prop.
They are also a very powerful misdirection tool at a kids show.
Happy New Year to all.
Nick Zender
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
When was the last time you saw anyone use a magic wand ? Its for old school magicians, unless you want to beat a heckler over the head with it halfway through your show.
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Saying a wand is just for 'old school' magicians is the same justification for not doing ring tricks, anything involving silks, coins, cards or assistants - all of which were heavily used by magicians fifty years ago.

There is nothing wrong with the classics of magic, the use of a prop or effect shouldn't be decided by 'how old is it' but by:
1. Does this effect fit my performance?
2. Am I competent enough to perform it well?
3. Will my audience enjoy the performance?

There may be some effects that have been so over-exposed, sawing a lady in half, as to be almost meaningless if done the traditional way, but effects involving the skill of the perfomer, e.g. linking rings or cups and balls, don't appear to have grown old yet. It's the perfomance the people come to see, not the props and despite the age and lineage of the props, the performance can be fresh and new every time.

David.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Should I get a wand? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL