The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Durania Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Does anyone know the lastest on the manufacturing of the Durania Balls (Made famous by the late Richard Ross). I know they are out of production but if anyone knows of any resources for finding a set or if you have any info regarding if they might be made again in the future please let me know.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Seems to me Stevens magic had some.... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
I've seen them on Ebay twice in the past two or three years. They fetched a hefty price.

Stephen

There's another post on this somewhere. Apparently Steven's sold them a few years ago, but not any more.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22251 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Stevens Magic had Viking Magic make them, because of all the inquires after the Richard Ross tape. Joe Stevens tried to find the gimmick in Europe but could not find them, thus Viking. He added balls from Fakini to complete the set, available only in white.

I would imagine because it took so long to sell his first supply, is why the were never remade. I inquired with Joe Stevens several years ago and as of then he did not have any plans to have any more made. They orginally sold for $90.

At this point, depending on how bad you think you need them, advertise on line and in the magic magazines. Then offer a price that cannot be refused!

Bill Smile
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Profile of oldwilson_2000
I'm a bit late with this, but the inventor was the late Werry (Werner Geissler) from Germany, who was very upset about Richard Ross stealing his idea. I talked to Werry many years ago. His set was dark red, so the rim of the gimmick was less visible. He found it not very clever to have the balls made in white for this reason. Btw: The name "Durania" comes from the city of Düren, where Werry lived.
Philipp K
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
228 Posts

Profile of Philipp K
Moin Frank,
hast Du ne Ahnung, ob man die Bälle noch irgendwo in Deutschland bekommt?
Stolina führt Sie nicht , oder?

For all the other viewers:
A translation isn't necessary, as my post is about the German market.

Cheers,
Philipp
Doc Brown : If you put your mind to it , you can accomplish anything .
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

Hi Philip,

I PM'ed you my info on the Durania ball trick. Unfortunately, the shell is practically impossible to get anymore. Werry died some years ago and he had stopped manufacturing the set some decades before already. To the best of my knowledge, no other dealer ever sold this set.
I don't know anything about Richard Ross's set (except, of course, that he obviously stole the idea).

Best

Frank
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
217 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I have asked the folks at Steven's many times to let me know when the Durania balls would be available and never heard any followup. This began right after the Richard Ross tape was released.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Actually, Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering manufactured the Durania Ball gimmicks for Stevens during the '90s. The shells are extremely difficult to make, requiring extensive hand-fitting of each set.
The drawback is the gimmick can fairly easily get knocked "out of whack", especially if you happen to drop it during the extensive rehearsal needed to handle them convincingly.
Stevens has "exclusive rights" to the Duranias from Richard Ross. If anyone has manufacturing rights from Werry, that's another story.
The dark red would make a lot of sense because the rim can be quite noticeable in the white.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

I can upload a photo or two of that dark red shell on my website and PM you the URL, if you like. I just sold my (original) durania shell on ebay for more than 40 Euros.
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Da ve_Dorsett;
I missed something here. How did Joe Stevens get "exclusive rights" to the Duranias from Richard Ross - if the items were not Ross's to begin with? This seems rather strange.

I have been considering making these; but have held off due to such "rights claims" (which seem questionable at best). Various people claiming all kinds of "rights" in magic has become ridiculous.

oldwilson_2000, did Werry have family I could contact concerning obtaining legit rights?

Jim
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Jim,
Those were Joe's words when he contacted us about manufacturing them for him in the '90s. At that time any claims by Werry were not known in the U.S. As Richard Ross had staked whatever claim, legit or not, prior to those coming to light there was no reason to doubt him. Joe has always been square with me. You'll note I have thrown quotation marks around exclusive rights since coming across this thread.
I did get a little chuckle out of the statement that "...claiming all kinds of 'rights' in magic has become ridiculous" while making a pitch for manufacturing rights. For my part, I certainly never want to make them again! Labor intensive and expensive to boot took a great deal of the lustre out of the project.
Dave
Dave Dorsett
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Dave;
There is a big difference in claiming some sort of rights and actually having them. I know one manufacturer who claims the rights to virtually everything - even items in the Hoffmann books! IMHO this is ridiculous. I'm merely trying to play by the rules. And you find this something to chuckle at? Interesting.
Jim
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

I think the question is if you can make the well-founded assumption that the one who gave you the manufacturing rights is the one who has the right to do so. I am sure if Joe Stevens knew about Werry he would have contacted him to "play by the rules". He must have had no reason to doubt Ross' words. I am not actually sure that Richard Ross actually stole the idea from him, I only know about the quarrel and I, too, have to trust Werry's words. Additionally I am quite sure that Werry's Durania Balls have been sold some years before Richard Ross' FISM act. Adding the facts that they are called "Durania" (from Düren, Werry's hometown) and that the Netherlands, where Richard Ross comes from, are not quite far from Düren (and Germany in general ...), it seems quite believable to me, though, that there is at least some truth in that story.

Frank
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Well, also this is a bit late, I was about to write re the story of the Durania and it's inventor *Werry*, whilst then reading, *oldwilson_2000* from Germany. already did explain all about it.

Fact is (I'm originally from Germany and did know *W. Geissler-Werry* well) that I well remember, when the Durania popped up and got originated..I was a young man at that time Smile
Actually, when it first popped up as an add in Werrys *Magische Welt* - I'm pretty sure I still have the copies stocked away somewhere- I figured out how the gimmick worked and got it later confirmed by Werry, though I never bought one...
Anyway, what I want to say is simply, that somehow I doubt Richard Ross did *steal* the idea, because of he did call the gimmick for *Durania* and when watching the Richard Ross video, where he does perform the routine (with colored balls, as Werry suggested) it never occured to me, he gave it out as his idea, because he mentioned -on the video- the gimmick was well known in Europe, and that it was.
Using the original name of it (Durania) gave me too the impression he just did use a gimmick that was mainly available in Europe/Germany, and that he NEVER said -at least at the tape- that the Durania-gimmick was his invention..
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
I agree with you that playing by the rules is important! That's what we did as best as possible with Stevens and I applaud your steps to do the right thing. I certainly agree there are those who would "sew up" rights whether or not they have any legitimate claim. My chuckle was at the ironic juxtaposition of your wording, nothing more.
I would concur with both oldwilson_2000 and Mr. Seitz that there was probably more to the story. I think we're both talking about making good faith efforts, something lacking on many occasions.
Dave Dorsett
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Dave;
I'm sure Joe Stevens would have acted in good faith. Whatever the complete story on the Durania shells, they were not exclusively Richard Ross's to sell (the rights). I do not fault Joe nor you. This is simply typical of the messes that come up in magic involving undocumented rights to certain items. It is another reason why some items vanish from the marketplace - forever.
Jim
oldwilson_2000
View Profile
New user
Germany
77 Posts

I agree with Werner Seitz concerning the question if Richard Ross actually *stole* the idea of the durania shell. I have the video, too, and I remember him having a hard time pronouncing the word "durania" correctly. After all, it would have been *really* bold not only to steal an idea but also to take over the original name of the trick. When I talked to Werry, however, it seemed to me like he felt being ripped off. He always had a hard time coping with copyists (nesting thimbles, "dream effect" [appearing silk], appearing canes, coin pedestal etc.) and was railing about the "copyists' mafia" very often.

Frank
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Friends,
I was a good friend of the late Werner Geissler-WERRY for 48 years and I remember the "Durania" Billard Balls very well, because I had one set decades ago.
As the late Richard Ross put them on the market via Stevens, I informed Werry and he was more than fed up. I phoned Richard as well and advised, he should have a word with Werry about this blatant thievery, but he never phoned or spoke to him.
All the Werry tricks were sold by his widow to Mr. Tesmar and he now owns all the rights on Werry´s tricks at present.
I am sure, that Mr. Tesmar would sell the rights to this trick to a manufacturer.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

Ted Lesley
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Ted;
Thank you for joining in this discussion. My next question is how do I get in touch with Mr. Tesmar?
Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Durania Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL