The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Just a quick hello! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

whoajosh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of whoajosh
Hey guys!

I'm new here and I have to be honest, I am very glad I found this forum. Everybody seems very pleasant and supportive towards new members/ novice magicians.

I was very interested in Magic from an early age. I took it very seriously considering the age I was. I spent years practicing and performing to anyone and everyone. My mother was very supportive and would drive me to the nearest Magic Shop (roughly an hour drive from home) every weekend to buy me a new illusion or just to hang out and practice. When I was around 13, I was hired to work birthday parties for children in my town as well as daycares and the such.
Unfortunately, as time passed I allowed myself to "outgrow" the passion I had for magic. I'm not the type of person to regret, but allowing myself to let magic go has been something I have regretted for many years.
I allowed every illusion and book and VHS I collected over the years get lost when moving from our house and I will never forgive myself. Until maybe now.

Recently I woke up from a dream, in the dream I was performing magic. It was so vivid and I definitely felt an emotional response when I woke up. I realized immediately that it was time I let magic back in to my life.
Roughly 13 years later, it was time. I can't help but feel I wasted those 13 years NOT performing magic and that age would have been the perfect time to really form my craft. How good could I be at it if I had just not let it go so many years ago?
I immediately went on to the internet and bought what I thought would be a great starting point. I found this forum, browsed it for a bit, and found books that came highly recommended by the wonderful people here. I bought a few decks of cards, I hunted down some walking liberty half dollars (wasn't easy, I'm in Alberta Canada), invested in the Dai Vernon's Revelations box set, and found a really nice set of Cups and Balls (easily my favourite and specialty when I was younger) on Ebay and I feel like I am set. I am ready to start from scratch.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and give a quick background on my interest in the art of Magic as I will spending a lot of time here. I'm very glad to be meeting you all!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome whoajosh,

I started in Magic as an Adult, without the benefit of an early foundation in Magic, and I've still packed plenty of Magic into my life.

I will admit, I too have my regrets about time wasted but they get easier to forget with every passing decade.

You aren't really starting from scratch. You gained knowledge from your earlier experience.

The advice on The Café will help make up for lost time though.

-Mary Mowder
whoajosh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of whoajosh
Thanks for the warm welcome Mary!

It's not all bad though, I'm glad to be coming at it from a more mature perspective. At the age I began and (temporarily) ended my journey in Magic, I couldn't exactly comprehend the things I can now. I remember trying to teach myself basic sleights that I just couldn't understand and wrap my head around. Not to mention the business side of taking my talent professional. So I am very glad I have the maturity to understand those things.
It would have been nice to come in to it naturally as I matured, but there is no point in regretting as it will just slow me down. I'm here and I am back and I know that is what is important!

-Joshua Badach
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Just a quick hello! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL