The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Review Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Before you buy any new effects...Check out Penguin Magic Review with Rick Lax and Justin Flom reviewing them!

https://www.facebook.com/penguinmagic

I love that they take a look at oldies but goodies you may have forgot about.

~Steve
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Bande
I was pretty disappointed in the show. Not really a review, more like a description of the products. A review would give strengths and weaknesses, difficulty levels, performance issues etc. Kyle's new reviews, Wizard review, Saturn reviews all much more helpful.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I liked the show. Remember, it's the first one. Ever see the first Wizard Product review Show, or even TV shows? It takes a little while to find your voice/character on these things. It is not as easy to do as we think.

On Envy-Lope Rick Lax talked about what he thought was the stronger version from the DVD and then he and Justin gave their feelings on how they thought it should be presented. I thought that was valuable input.

On Sugar Rush they showed Justin at a tailgate party performing and he had the vanished candy appear on the guys shoulder. That was STRONG!

I think they would welcome input about the show. I hope they do more of them.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hey guys. Thanks for watching. Gosh, I don't really think the review shows have to compete with each other; I think the more information that's out there, the better. But yes, one thing we do pride ourselves on is performing all/most of the tricks we review, and also giving constructive notes on how the tricks can be improved/performed strongly. Anyway, looking forward to sharing more episodes with you in the near future.

-Ricky
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I agree Rick, it's you opinion and you're putting it out there. The show was good dude, keep going!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-12 17:08, smullins wrote:
I agree Rick, it's you opinion and you're putting it out there. The show was good dude, keep going!

Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed.
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I really like the approach of this show. They don't bring a negative vibe or any hostility. It's refreshing to see magicians just having fun performing tricks and giving their views without bashing anyone. I think that they gave positives and negatives in a more upbeat mood. We need to remember that everything that is out out is in fact someone's baby and nobody likes their baby to be beaten down. Whether a trick is the greatest thing that has ever been flourished or something that will just be tossed into a bottomless drawer to be forever forgotten it was still someone's idea that they had the courage to put out. I think this show will head in a great direction and we will be plenty informed. Maybe they will only decide to do "good" magic like Jamie D. Grant. Don't you guys miss his Magic Fridays? I know I do. Anyways. I look forward to a great show with positive people having fun with it and being honest about magic. Keep up the great work guys! I'm going to keep watching.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Background music all the way through the show? Why? I know it might not bother some but for me it makes it unwatchable. Even if it doesn't bug some people I'd be surprised if any one said "Hey I love background music when people are talking".
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-12 18:30, Cassidy001 wrote:
I really like the approach of this show. They don't bring a negative vibe or any hostility. It's refreshing to see magicians just having fun performing tricks and giving their views without bashing anyone. I think that they gave positives and negatives in a more upbeat mood. We need to remember that everything that is out out is in fact someone's baby and nobody likes their baby to be beaten down. Whether a trick is the greatest thing that has ever been flourished or something that will just be tossed into a bottomless drawer to be forever forgotten it was still someone's idea that they had the courage to put out. I think this show will head in a great direction and we will be plenty informed. Maybe they will only decide to do "good" magic like Jamie D. Grant. Don't you guys miss his Magic Fridays? I know I do. Anyways. I look forward to a great show with positive people having fun with it and being honest about magic. Keep up the great work guys! I'm going to keep watching.

Thanks Cassidy. Yep, that's what the show is about...having fun and performing tricks. We're going to give positives and negatives, but like I said in the show, we're going to focus on the tricks we like (as opposed to tearing apart the ones we don't...we've actually rejected a few tricks for review because we didn't care for them.) So, yes, I guess in that sense we're in line with the great Jamie. Smile Again, thanks for the kind words.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
I enjoyed it! Looking forward to seeing how the show develops in further episodes.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Honestly, I didn't even notice the music. Great show, though. Rick, you are very funny.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I'm hard of hearing so my brain is working hard to understand the words. I guess I can't tune out background sounds as well as some.

So if people with good hearing don't even notice it and it's a problem for people with poorer hearing how about dropping it?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Thanks Cameron and MovieMan. And Mike, I can look into dropping the background music a tiny bit so that you might be able to hear it a bit better. Right now I had it on 32...but will try dropping to 27. For most people, background music can have a subtle, subconscious effect of moving things along and keeping things engaging, but I can see where it doesn't work perfectly for everyone.
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
Hi Rick. I sent you a PM with a few questions.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Unfortunate that its only available on Facebook...yes, there are plenty of people, who, for various reasons, don't have a Facebook account...good luck, though
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 21:48, dooblehorn wrote:
Unfortunate that its only available on Facebook...yes, there are plenty of people, who, for various reasons, don't have a Facebook account...good luck, though

First, you don't need a facebook account to watch it on facebook.

Second, you can just watch it on youtube if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......ffKAUi8g
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I have found the loudness of the music bed can also have a lot to do with how you are listening to the audio, i.e. speakers vs. headphones, as well the type, settings and quality of your speakers.
In one system it could be annoyingly loud, while in another you can barely hear it.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Just watched the show. Not bad, really.

With regard to the background music, I don’t know where the info about such music having a "subconscious effect of moving things along and keeping things engaging" came from - first I have heard of such a benefit of background music. That said, at least the music was kept at a low enough volume that it didn't interfere with the voices. Generally I dislike background music when I am trying to listen to someone speaking.

Regarding Cassidy's comment about bad products, e.g., "everything that is out out is in fact someone's baby", and "someone's idea that they had the courage to put out", I disagree completely! If those products were freely offered those comments might make some sense. But those products are in fact someone's attempt to make money from magicians. Many of them are created just for that purpose, and not at all for the furtherance of the art of magic. In my opinion exceedingly poor products do indeed need to be "bashed"! It doesn’t have to be offensive; just truthful! David Regal pulls no punches in his reviews in Genii Magazine nor Reel Magic, and he calls out poor products when needed. Please don’t gloss over the poor stuff that is emptying our pockets in return for junk magic! Also, publishing positive reviews only - like Jamie D. - is doing half a job and just perpetrates the creation poor magic. Please don’t do that!

I don’t use Facebook but I used the YouTube link. Hopefully your reviews will not be too difficult to find.

Thank you.

Jim
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Which broadcast television talk shows have background music on the whole time?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 22:55, J-Mac wrote:

Also, publishing positive reviews only - like Jamie D. - is doing half a job and just perpetrates the creation poor magic. Please don’t do that!

Jim

I agree with you, but I can certainly understand why a review show put out by a magic dealer would not want to bash tricks.
So only doing good reviews (or half a job as you put it) is better than not doing a review show at all IMHO.
I will continue to watch it. I enjoyed it.
Also, like that it is kept short and hope that continues. Even though I like Craig and David's show very much, I confess that the length will often deter me from watching it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Review Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL