The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Review Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
I just enjoy a lighthearted show about our craft from time to time. It's refreshing and isn't targeted at riling everyone up This review show may not be for everyone but it is for some. Luckily there are different options out for everyone in different mediums such as Genii Magazine or other review shows. I watch as many of these reviews as I can to get different perspectives. That is another cool thing about having multiple review shows.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hey Jim,

I agree with you that putting out a magic trick isn't necessarily a benevolent act. It's a capitalist one. No arguments there. But also keep in mind this show is, openly, sponsored by a magic shop that sells the tricks we're reviewing. So I hope you won't be too upset that we're not focusing on the tricks taking your money (cause I know those definitely ARE out there). On the plus side, we aren't going to be plugging any tricks we don't truly like (which would be the worst/most dishonest) thing we could do, so hopefully, yeah, you can at least be cool with that.

And as far as the really bad tricks go...don't we do a pretty good job of tearing them apart here on the Café? Smile

Quote:
On 2013-10-13 22:55, J-Mac wrote:
Just watched the show. Not bad, really.

With regard to the background music, I don’t know where the info about such music having a "subconscious effect of moving things along and keeping things engaging" came from - first I have heard of such a benefit of background music. That said, at least the music was kept at a low enough volume that it didn't interfere with the voices. Generally I dislike background music when I am trying to listen to someone speaking.

Regarding Cassidy's comment about bad products, e.g., "everything that is out out is in fact someone's baby", and "someone's idea that they had the courage to put out", I disagree completely! If those products were freely offered those comments might make some sense. But those products are in fact someone's attempt to make money from magicians. Many of them are created just for that purpose, and not at all for the furtherance of the art of magic. In my opinion exceedingly poor products do indeed need to be "bashed"! It doesn’t have to be offensive; just truthful! David Regal pulls no punches in his reviews in Genii Magazine nor Reel Magic, and he calls out poor products when needed. Please don’t gloss over the poor stuff that is emptying our pockets in return for junk magic! Also, publishing positive reviews only - like Jamie D. - is doing half a job and just perpetrates the creation poor magic. Please don’t do that!

I don’t use Facebook but I used the YouTube link. Hopefully your reviews will not be too difficult to find.

Thank you.

Jim
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
A review show does not have to review bad products to be fair. As long as the reviews they actually do are helpful and honest.

The show is perfectly up front that they are sponsored by a magic shop.

Certainly a review show would help with sales and there is nothing wrong with that.

There is nothing stopping any one from putting together their own review show and reviewing whatever they want.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Maybe they shouldn't call it a review show... How about the "Penguin Cool Tricks Show". I love the format and see nothing wrong with only touting items that you like.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The gold of this show is the showcasing AND performing of the tricks. I already got a great idea for using Platt's Sugar Rush.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 23:06, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Which broadcast television talk shows have background music on the whole time?

As a former sound engineer for PBS, I can say "none that I know of. Or at least not any well known ones."

It is actually a rule of production to not let senses compete for attention.
It only "moves things forward, subconsciously; in small starts, and transitions.

Not picking, just pointing out how it works in tv.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 22:19, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-13 21:48, dooblehorn wrote:
Unfortunate that its only available on Facebook...yes, there are plenty of people, who, for various reasons, don't have a Facebook account...good luck, though

First, you don't need a facebook account to watch it on facebook.

Second, you can just watch it on youtube if you want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......ffKAUi8g

Oops, I stand corrected...many facebook links require a login...in any case, the facebook link redirected to Youtube...did not know it was on there...Thanks!
basilisk
View Profile
New user
California
9 Posts

Profile of basilisk
This is a great start! As a complete beginner, I would love to see more details into the skill level required to perform any of those tricks. Obviously, without having too much revealed -- but at least a difficulty estimate on an arbitrary scale would be fantastic.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Here is the second show. It's good...but...

I think the show should have more confidence in the hosts. Drop the gimmicky editing and the music and trust that the hosts can keep the viewers attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOkNH8gtXeM
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
I like the two guys sitting around talking about magic feel.

The music doesn't bother me, not sure why it's a hang up for some people.

~Steve
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
I'm not one to bicker (usually), but the music is a bit too loud and its very busy music...Its not like its background ambiance, this is fast music, guitar soloing - jamming music that is attention getting. I found myself listening to it instead of listening to the show. No live demos this time either - I would of loved to see how they did with Vortex with spectators, oh well
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I think the show could use a different title. "The Tricks We Dig Show" or "The Nothing But Awesome Show". Otherwise, I love it.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Oh yes! I am only a few minutes in episode #1, and I am a fan already! Sweet intro, choice music is clean and crisp. Great energy, proper edits. Gives the show a nice 'not afraid to point out the bloopers' feel. At the same time providing quick info fillers on each effect. I wouldn't sweat anything too early on guys, like a few others have stated, the show will find its creative flow, and voice. Like learning and practicing a new effect! I totally remember watching the WPR guys, before Blammo...and now they have a solid chemistry with each other and guest hosts. I come from a media background, so I quickly pick up on the talent that is just sprouting like a new leaf...even if others don't see it. This is gonna be a special homegrown show. Good luck guys! Laugh and have FUN! Weee!
Posting ever so slightly.
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
"Magician'y thing" "Magician'y deck"... awesome wording!! aha! Smile
Posting ever so slightly.
Christian Rey
View Profile
Regular user
Magician'y toast...to my
135 Posts

Profile of Christian Rey
Just checked out both shows, I for one enjoyed the reviews. Thumbs up from me!
My first name rhymes with Magician
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
These things naturally evolve. Look back to the first episode of another very popular review show and you will see something unrecognizable.

I love Penguin Smile They're a passionate group.

I think this show will do very well
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Is there another Penguin review show out soon?
Cassidy001
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of Cassidy001
When is the next episode? It's fun to watch. I think that was their intention from the start. To be fun and entertaining and have a good time talking about magic. I'm looking forward to more.
"You want to know the secret of the world. It's this: save it, and it'll repay you, every second of every day."
--Axel Brass
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The music is REALLY annoying, making it almost unwatchable. Other than that it's well done and Penguin is a really good company. If you want to keep the energy up and keep things moving, then do that with your hosting and demo skills, which you are doing. Craig and Daves show is very fun to watch and they use no music in the background.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
And this is the most recent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pza2gk34kDE

Tenyo's Card Surgery.

Enjoy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Penguin Magic Review Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL