The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lord of the Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
I just saw Return of the King, the best of the three!
Which makes this the best trilogy in cinema history. First movies I ever saw that did the books justice.
Mary B.
View Profile
Café Tech Advisor
Howard City, Michigan
626 Posts

Profile of Mary B.
If you're into movies that do the book justice, you might like "To Kill A Mockingbird" starring Gregory Peck. Excellent movie, and it stays pretty true to the book.
kilgourpower
View Profile
New user
London
72 Posts

Profile of kilgourpower
Im gonna watch it this weekend.
Cant wait!!! Definately the best trilogy ever!!!and do the books justice.

The cartoon was kinda good too but a bit nightmarey and didn't have an end!
The Godfather and Jaws were good books/films.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Even if the the first two LOTR films were as good as the third (and they weren't) this trilogy would still not equal:

The Godfather trilogy
The Apu trilogy
Krzysztof Kieslowski's Color trilogy
The original Star Wars trilogy
The Indiana Jones trilogy
Sergio Leone's Man With No Name trilogy

All I can think of for now. Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2003-12-18 09:55, Mary B. wrote:
If you're into movies that do the book justice, you might like "To Kill A Mockingbird" starring Gregory Peck. Excellent movie, and it stays pretty true to the book.

So true. My favorite part was when Atticus had that sword that would glow blue whenever Boo Radly was nearby.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
HERETICS!!! I don't think I can stand such heresy any longer! STAR WARS is the best trilogy ever. STAR WARS I say. STAR WARS!!!
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 09:01, Samuel Catoe wrote:
HERETICS!!! I don't think I can stand such heresy any longer! STAR WARS is the best trilogy ever. STAR WARS I say. STAR WARS!!!

Oh, of course... how could we think that Tolkien's vision could ever hold a candle to the mighty acting prowess of Mark Hammil...

GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Nice comeback, Firedice ! High five !!!

We were discussing the Lord of The Rings Return of The King if I remember correctly, ahem...
This series is "arguably" the best ever in my opinion. I love the Star Wars movies and the Raiders movies but this series is as good if not better than any of them. The movies just get better and better and the most recent (Return of The King) is even better than the last one (The Two Towers). Fantastic movies, brilliant!!!
Whether they are better than this one or that one or not as good , blah blah blah... regardless of all that,you just can't complain about them. With all the average or disappointing movies that come along, here is a great movie, wrapping up a magnificent series!!!
See it, you wont be disappointed.
Besides, if it werent for this movie, I wouldnt now have a really cool Gollum bobble head on my desk!!!

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Oooh! I gotta get me a Gollum bobble head. Where'd you get it?

Mark
What would Wavy do?
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I was at the first showing on Wednesday at a local theater and when we came out of the movie they had merchandise tables all set up. So I got it then and there ! Along with some other stuff too...

Good luck finding one, I would think they would be filling shelves in stores with all of this stuff.

GlenD

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Virgin megastores have the talking versions. I was/am a huge Star Wars Fan (forget about the new movies they suck). I will say that they cannot compare to LOTR in the aspect of size. It is an epic movie(s). The Star Wars films were three separate, albeit related, stories. Sure they chronicled the lives of the main characters but in no way do they compare with Tolkien's masterpiece with Peter Jackson's vision and attention to detail (minus a few blunders but we forgive).
I thoroughly enjoyed this film and even after 3 hours and 20 minutes I was sad to see it end.
When the extended version on DVD comes out yyou might have to block out an entire 24 hour period to watch all three back to back to back.
Happy Holidaise,
Jason
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
OK, so Hammil can't act so what! I don't see people watching LOTR films over and over until their eyes bleed. I just don't see it. STAR WARS I SAY!!

Oh btw, Firedice, that was a very nice comeback.

So, until the force crushes the one ring. (heavy mechanical breathing)

:D
boblinds
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
111 Posts

Profile of boblinds
I happen to think that LOTR is a MUCH greater body of work than the original Star Wars trilogy -- although I love them both. I have no question in my mind but that LOTR is the greatest film epic ever made.

The most remarkable thing, however, is that some of us have had the privilege of being alive to experience the original releases of both of these extraordinary film achievements. I fear that filmaking of this grandeur and scale will not happen again during my lifetime.
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
HERETICS ???
You're the one spouting off about Star Wars on a LOTR thread. Maybe you should start a Star Wars lovers thread or something and then call others heretics if they dare mention any other movie?!?!?
STAY ON TOPIC ! SHEEESH Smile Smile
(Hmm "heretcis" is gone... the grammar hosts are out and about apparently, so nevermind)
GlenD

ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I love the LOTR rings books, and the movies werent too bad either. It helps that they were filmed here in NZ, we don't get too many movies filmed here, especially not ones this big!! It was funny seeing my little province (The Waikato - Home of Hobbiton) on the big screen!
I still havent gone to see the farm where some of the hobbiton set remains, but the guy is charging $50 to go and see it, so I probably wont anyway!!

Great series of movies!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2003-12-20 08:33, Samuel Catoe wrote:
OK, so Hammil can't act so what! I don't see people watching LOTR films over and over until their eyes bleed. I just don't see it. STAR WARS I SAY!!

Don't worry, Samwise... the geeks shall inherit the extended DVD's and will put all Star Wars fans to shame when it comes to sitting on a couch and masticating anything that stays crunchy in milk while dribbling Diet Mountain Dew down the front of their limited edition "Uncle Bilbo Went To Rivendell And All I Got Was This Stupid T-shirt" t-shirts. In fact, their large, gelatinous, highschool-bully-kicked posteriors will be so grafted into that creaking futon that they'll make David Blaine in a fish tank look like he was out shopping for over-priced plastic memorabilia in the toy section of Wal-mart along with the rest of the 30 year old "undateables".

And what about the pantheon of Police Acadamy movies!? Come on people! Has Steve Gutenburg ever been funnier? Well... NO! Unless you count the hands-off love scene in Cocoon.

So stick that in your droid and compute it!
Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The first two LOTR movies are showing on Starz here, in letterbox and with some shots that I don't recall from the theatrical release.

Taken in small doses, the movies are quite rich and sometimees thought provoking.

I recall my impression of the movies as 'heavy handed and somewhat overly serious' From the first two films, it looks as if a huge bloodbath awaits all who suffer political opinions while a dilitente, his cook and a burned-out outcast take a red herring towards a volcano. Talk about burnt offerings!

IMHO these films are raising the standard for story telling on film to a new height. This was done with the first two Star Wars films, the first two Terminator films and just a few other times in the last twenty or thirty years. The commitments made to create these LOTR adaptation films show in the attention to detail in the backgrounds, settings, costumes... Such an effort was also made for 'Blade Runner'.

I suspect there will be more epic film series. There are wonderful books with stories that can now be realized onto film. Consider the Oz books, the William Gibson books, Stanislaw Ulam's novellas... the list would surprise you. Also, while not a series per se, let's not forget all those Phillip K. Dick stories that have been filmed.

As soon as the crowds thin a bit, I will catch the third LOTR film.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Ok folks here is the scoop. I am a BIG fan of the original Star Wars films but mostly because of nostalgia. That being said, the LOTR films are hands down the best cinema to be presented in many, many years. My only real complaint is how the films are released in theater vs. dvd. But that is a discussion for another day. I just interjected that little bit about Star Wars because it was funny. At least I thought so. Tolkien is one of the most well known fantasy writers of all time and his world is the measure of which others are held to answer to. Peter Jackson has done very well in capturing the spirit of that world and of those tales.

Samuel
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I just saw Return of the King, and it was great. The best of the three. They beat every other video or series I've seen (including Indiana Jones, Star wars, Jurrasic Park .etc) EXECPT for maybe Pirates of the Barribean. Maybe. I liked them both about the same.

While we're on the subject of books into movies, They are making a movie of the Illiad. It's called Troy, I can't wait.
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
I liked the movie for its story and effects.

I couldn't help but to notice (and wished I'd counted) the number times a charcter's eyes welled up in tears. Too many times.

I also couldn't help but notice Oz-like scenes. Orks marching from the castle while Sam, Frodo and Gollum are hiding on the step climb...did I hear OH E OH, OH YO UM?

And the end...Frodo awakening in bed...the characters coming to the door way..."And you were there, and you, too! said Dorothy.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Lord of the Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL