The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Napkin rose/ creator unknown (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10789 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I leared to make this rose from a VHS tape many years ago . sorry I don't know
who the creator is, but for me it is the simpilest and most elegant of all the napkin roses I have seen ....
for a tutorial contact me ,If anyone knows who the creator is please let me know......

http://youtu.be/9ly-41uuGzo beautiful napkin rose
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I have aDVD I bought some years ago teaching this, its by Michael Mode, don't remember where I bought it, possibly Magic Madrid. Good effect on the ladies though.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The 1st I was exposed to it was when Kevin James did it for his Floating Rose routine. He explained how to make it. I do recall him giving mention where he discovered it,b but I would have to watch the whole tape to again, as it has now been many years. It is most likely from an Origami source.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree, Bill. The first time I saw it was at an Abbott GTG when Kevin James did it. I too, think it came to 'us' from Origami.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6015 Posts

Profile of motown
I know Michael and I don't think he takes credit for creating the Napkin Rose. What I believe he brought to the party was half colored napkins. One half red and one half green for instance. This allows for bright colored petals and a green stem.

In addition to Kevin James, Simon Lovell was another I saw early on use a napkin rose.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dr_J_Ayala
View Profile
Inner circle
In search of Vlad Dracul and his
2169 Posts

Profile of Dr_J_Ayala
I have a kind of skewed history of seeing this myself. As a child growing up in Barcelona, I first saw a Chinese immigrant who was very, very good with origami fold a rose out of tissue paper. To date this is the only "non-magical" person that I have seen making one.

The first magician I saw do it, being in Europe, was indeed Simon Lovell, then came Kevin James with his effect par-excellence. After that it was a long time before I saw Michael Mode and his two-colour napkins (which was an ingenious idea, if you ask me). I never watched his video so I do not know what credits he mentions, but in his demos I have heard him mention both Kevin James and Simon Lovell.

As best I can tell and without my order of experience being of any influence, I also believe that we get the paper rose from the origami world. I have seen other people (non-magicians or as I like to say, 'muggles') make paper roses and hand them to a friend or walk off with one - most of them being made from thinner origami paper or tissue paper and I cannot recall ever seeing any of them use napkins.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10789 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I have seen many types of npkin roses but never one that looked this good. as I said I have the instructions to this one and I can send instructions and perhaps it can be compared to othe rose constructions

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
JustCraig
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of JustCraig
That really is a beautiful napkin rose. I am actually embarrassed at just how bad mine is by comparison lol
XavrosStalkingwolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of XavrosStalkingwolf
Thanks for sharing, vinsmagic. I've seen Simon Lovell's Twisted Rose and Chris Randall's Napkin Rose, from the easter egg video on the Art of Astonishment Vol. 3. It seems to be the little touches, like the multi-layered petals and the 45 degree angle fold at the top, that make these so good. The creation of the leaf on the stem is just a bit different on yours, but overall they're very similar. Good stuff!
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
Docc Hilford did a napkin rose video as well.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On 2013-10-14 03:53, vinsmagic wrote:
I leared to make this rose from a VHS tape many years ago . sorry I don't know
who the creator is, but for me it is the simpilest and most elegant of all the napkin roses I have seen ....
for a tutorial contact me ,If anyone knows who the creator is please let me know......

http://youtu.be/9ly-41uuGzo beautiful napkin rose

vin, that is a nice rose. I learned from Simon. He makes a nice looking rose. Very similar to yours. The leaf seems a bit smaller than yours. The one thing I do differently is I trim the flower with my swiss army pocket knife scissors to make it look more like petals. I sometimes use the multi-colored napkins and they look just like a rose. I like to ask the kids if they can smell the rose. It is so realistic, they sometimes believe they can smell it.

KJ
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1422 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Vinny, this is a very pretty rose. You rock.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
If someone can walk me through the whole posting a picture thing, I'll post a picture of my rose.

It's very unique, and many have said it is the best napkin rose they have ever seen. (Including all of the Monday Night Magic Alumni).

It is also made from a single cocktail napkin. I learned how to make it years ago and it has served me well. It is COMPLETELY different from the roses posted above...
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Is it the "puffy" type paper rose? Been making them for over 20 years.
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Nope, not the "puffy" kind of rose
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
When I make a rose I end up putting a drop of "Rose" essential oil on it. One drop and you now have the smell of roses for them also.

-Ron
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Napkin rose/ creator unknown (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL