The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Something other than... [a cigarette] through coin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I have a cigarette through Half Dollar gimmick... but I don't smoke and I don't really like using cigarettes because they're not rigid enough.

What else could I use instead? A pen I suppose works fine, but it doesn't make a lot of sense why a pen could penetrate a coin.

Ideally, I'd like something like a mini-lightsaber maybe made out of those plastic glow sticks, that is the same diameter as a cigarette.

Any ideas?
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I wonder if something like this would be a "good fit" for this effect?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-LED-Light-G......f7623b86
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Doug Benit Uses A feather ! Don't get of Real big ones a small one will do! I have used It And it Looks Great! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I wonder if an e-cig would work. I quit smoking 15 or so years ago and still have a cig thru quarter and cig through card gimmick. I don't currently use either because I don't smoke or carry cigs anymore and most public places don't allow anyone to. If an e-cig is the same diameter of a regular one, that may be a cool alternative.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Ammar has an awesome "pencil thru" routine, and Dan Fleshman has a "crayon thru" both of which are killers. I think a straw would be good, and I think the E-cig angle could be good if they become more widely used.
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I wanted to use my ungimmicked grey pen that I use after doing a pen through bill... but that pen is just a little too big unfortunately.

Because using the "same" pen to penetrate a bill and a coin would be cool since the penetrations use different methods, and I think spectators tend to think the same method is used and therefore can't figure it out.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
924 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
When I worked at Magic Masters we used to do it with a rolled up bill. We always asked for a $100 cause it made the trick better... They felt the bill was more politically correct than a cigarette. That was 13 years ago.
leomagnus
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of leomagnus
David Williamson has some fantastic work on the Ammar pencil through quarter as well.

-Leo
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
This small wand should work well.

http://www.magicproshop.com/products/tel......er-trick
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
I tried that to the tune of $100 for the e-cig and the refills for a month (I don't smoke either). They are much larger that a cigarette so the diameter is too great to fit. Trust me!

Quote:
On 2013-10-15 19:26, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I wonder if an e-cig would work. I quit smoking 15 or so years ago and still have a cig thru quarter and cig through card gimmick. I don't currently use either because I don't smoke or carry cigs anymore and most public places don't allow anyone to. If an e-cig is the same diameter of a regular one, that may be a cool alternative.
Bob Magic
View Profile
New user
San Diego, California
90 Posts

Profile of Bob Magic
Adam;

Real cigarettes have an advantage. They fit perfectly and there is no gap between the hole and the cigarette. It was a much stronger trick when you could use a lit cigarette and blow smoke while it penetrated the coin. The blown smoke was also used to soften the coin before the penetration. For social reasons that is no longer acceptable.

An unlit cigarette can be see-sawed and slowly withdrawn from the coin is still very effective.

Try a regular sized FILTER cigarette. The filter is a lot tougher than the tobacco end and a pack should last a very long time.

The palm to palm transfer is a great sleight for switching the coin at the end of the routine.

As mentioned, a rolled bill is also very effective but is difficult to roll to the correct diameter if it is new and borrowed. Double the bill length-wise and start rolling from the folded end to the loose ends. Put the middle finger and thumb on the ends of the bill after it has penetrated and grasp the coin with the thumb and middle finger of the other hand. Move the coin back and forth on the bill being careful not to show the obverse side of the coin. A rolled bill will expand slightly and fill the hole so there is no gap and it is stronger than a cigarette.

Bob, a former magic bartender...

Quote:
On 2013-10-15 18:14, AdamChance wrote:
I have a cigarette through Half Dollar gimmick... but I don't smoke and I don't really like using cigarettes because they're not rigid enough.

What else could I use instead? A pen I suppose works fine, but it doesn't make a lot of sense why a pen could penetrate a coin.

Ideally, I'd like something like a mini-lightsaber maybe made out of those plastic glow sticks, that is the same diameter as a cigarette.

Any ideas?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Something other than... [a cigarette] through coin? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL