The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Self Levitation DVD by Shin Lim, Jose Morales & Paul Harris (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-10-16 13:53, Rogerbest wrote:
The reason we see today a DVD with the Balducci Levitation is because many people will buy it.
Seriously guys...a dvd, an Ebook, a book comes out every day...why??? people buy anything.
Look at Aldo C. He puts out DVD every month for 10 dollars each teaching us tricks printed in books or magazines??? Is it ok because it's Aldo.
Come on... show me something new.
It is really unbelievable what I see these days.
Magic is no more an art...it is a business...you make money producing stupid tricks, you make money selling stupid ebooks teaching nothing new.
I'm not going to mention any names here but some suppose-to-be magicians should really think twice before selling anything.

I'm going to stop here...I think I'm going to write an eBook or may be make a DVD...

I like the fact there is magic released all the time. But then again, I trust my own judgment, and no one is forcing me to buy everything that's released. Is someone forcing you? Should we call the cops? Blink twice for yes.

And I don't mind someone putting out a DVD on an effect that really hasn't had one devoted to it. Is it overexposed already? Probably in certain circles. The last time I performed it I got a really good reaction. But that was a couple of years ago.

I won't be buying this because I'm already familiar with the trick. If everyone is already familiar with the trick (as some people have suggested) then no one will buy it. And then the market will take care of the problem in a way none of the whining here will.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi All. Paul Harris has nothing to do with this project. No permission was asked to use his name. Paul Harris has not seen this dvd and does not
endorse this.

Hoping that the magic Café people and the producers of the dvd will honor our request and remove Paul's name from this.

Kind Regards,

Janet Harris
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1260 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Janet,

I'm guessing this contains Paul's original explanation. Do you know who owns the rights to that? If so, that might explain his name on the DVD.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8999 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On 2013-10-16 15:21, PHSIS wrote:
Hi All. Paul Harris has nothing to do with this project. No permission was asked to use his name. Paul Harris has not seen this dvd and does not
endorse this.

Hoping that the magic Café people and the producers of the dvd will honor our request and remove Paul's name from this.

Kind Regards,

Janet Harris

Thanks for clearing that up Janet.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
386 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Just found out the story on this. Paul taught the Balducci levitation on one of his old stars of magic dvds. Mike Maxwell bought the rights to these then later put out his own levitation dvd..and included Pauls old footage. Murphy's then bought out the rights to these from Mike and re-packaged them again. Then Murphy's hired Shin Lim to re-make the levitation dvd yet again..and apparently included Paul's old footage. We are doing what we can here to have Paul's name pulled from the promotion for this. Obviously Paul's a big fan of the Balducci leviation..but would not knowingly be involved in trying to sell it as a "new or improved re-release (And for the record..Paul is not making any money of this). I suspect this was all just a giant misunderstanding at Murphys and no ill will was intended. Murphy's owned the rights to this old ph footage and felt that it was okay to re-release it..with Paul's name on it. Apologies to all for any misunderstanding this has created.

Janet Harris
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-10-16 15:25, Magicsquared wrote:
Janet,

I'm guessing this contains Paul's original explanation. Do you know who owns the rights to that? If so, that might explain his name on the DVD.

The trailer says it's a Murphy's release. Murphy's owns the Stars Of Magic vhs's ( now DVD's ), which includes Paul's volumes that contained his work on the Balducci.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2304 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Glad to hear the clarification Janet. The only reason I was even intrigued was due to Paul's name thinking that he may have some added thoughts as a seasoned pro building upon such an old idea. Thx.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6999 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Roger, Aldo is doing the magic community a huge service by putting out DVDs with rare tricks on them that no one would know about unless they, like Aldo, combed through old magazines. I think what he's doing is amazing because there are plenty of hidden gems in mags that people need to know about.

Granted, Aldo is a good friend, but I have been a fan of his long before I knew him on a personal level.

As far as the Balducci goes, yes, Paul Harris popularized it on one of the Stars of Magic videos. Might want to do some research before jumping to conclusions. Although it is sad that this was released without his knowledge.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1106 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
I don't believe you can defend this release in any way.

And hidden gems should remain just that. Leave them for the ones that can be bothered to find them on their own rather than spoon feed the masses that will largely make a pigs ear out of them.
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
Quote:
On 2013-10-16 15:47, PHSIS wrote:
Just found out the story on this. Paul taught the Balducci levitation on one of his old stars of magic dvds. Mike Maxwell bought the rights to these then later put out his own levitation dvd..and included Pauls old footage. Murphy's then bought out the rights to these from Mike and re-packaged them again. Then Murphy's hired Shin Lim to re-make the levitation dvd yet again..and apparently included Paul's old footage. We are doing what we can here to have Paul's name pulled from the promotion for this. Obviously Paul's a big fan of the Balducci leviation..but would not knowingly be involved in trying to sell it as a "new or improved re-release (And for the record..Paul is not making any money of this). I suspect this was all just a giant misunderstanding at Murphys and no ill will was intended. Murphy's owned the rights to this old ph footage and felt that it was okay to re-release it..with Paul's name on it. Apologies to all for any misunderstanding this has created.

Janet Harris

Yikes.
Thanks for he clarification, Janet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Self Levitation DVD by Shin Lim, Jose Morales & Paul Harris (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL