The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Occult Magic Volume 4 by Freddie Valentine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
OCCULT MAGIC VOL.4 – A REVIEW

Following the first three volumes of the series, Freddie Valentine has just released the fourth one. Here are my opinions.

*****The rationale: style and approach*****

Let’s review the first three volumes. ‘Occult Magic: An Introduction’, the first book, opens with an in-depth discussion of the nature of the persona one wants to portray; to what is a believable prop, the role of relics, the use of pendulums, and the nature of the séance. An introductory book. ‘Occult Magic: Into the Darkness’, the second book, is devoted to the techniques of suggestion and mental conducting of people, the role of hypnosis in performance, and the ways to avoid any suspicion of trickery on the part of then participants. The topics are more mature, and require more experience on the side of the performer. The third, ‘Occult Magic: The Outer Circle’, discusses strategies for the promotion of the dark events, the problem of dealing with different categories of believers, and how to structure an occult entertainment performance. This one is clearly aimed at pros and semi-pros.

‘Occult Magic: Volume 4’ is less systematic. But this is not a weakness: this is a book dedicated to the **details**. But details of the utmost importance.

*****Structure and content*****
All the book long you will find scattered around the chapters (brief ones) little gems from the mind of our preferred Man From The Seventies. Small observations, little notes stemming from a notorious day-by-day experience on the (occult) field.

The first topic –covered in various parts of the book- is that of trickery. Freddie gives us a great lesson not learned on the old (invaluable!) Nelson’s books, but on the field: rules exist only to be dismissed when it is necessary. So we find a chapter about how and why Occult magic is NOT trickery; but also one about how to use certain props convincingly, and even a chapter on the correct uses of electronics.

There is chapter about the recent issue of Freddie’s Macabre museum with a Gov. Agency. This example introduces two fundamental chapters –How to deal with religious beliefs, and ‘How far it is too far’. In the latter some important ethical point is made, and a very interesting technique to prevent psychological problems for the participants problems is explained –obviously I won’t quote it here.

A chapter about milking (‘Think on one’s feet’) on the participants’ reactions and another about good add-ons to an Occult Evening conclude this gem of a book.

*****Pros and cons of the book*****
No cons whatsoever. This is a bottle of liquid intelligence, and a lesson (would they be able to understand it) for any magician around. There is **thought** here, thought about one’s life trade.
Structurally, this book could be purchased by anybody: along with the number 1, it could be an optimal choice for the discerning amateur who wants to chill out his friends on a winter night; and the pro or semi-pro will find here excellent complements to what they’ve already found in the previous three tomes.
Lord Valentine –thank you, Sir.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Thanks for the kind words sir! I'm delighted that people are getting what these books are about and the value of the material within. This volume is currently only available from myself and I'm doing a bundle deal of all four volumes for £40 for a short while.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1568 Posts

Profile of gmeister
My friend Danyel's review is, as always, erudite, informative and compelling.

There is little I can add except this: when it comes to contemporary occult magic and its performance, Lord Freddie, as his name suggests, RULES!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1007 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I've searched the web high and low and can't find this to purchase anywhere. Link anyone? Cheers
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
Also direct from me at valentineEntertainments@googlemail.com

I'm doing a Halloween deal on all my books at the moment.
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
851 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Well...

Finally had the time to read through this last night; I must say it's another winner for me!

Like all of Freddie's series, these books belong on the shelves of every Mystery performer.
If you want the real work; from a real world performer, this is it.

No pipe-dreams; no un-workable stuff, just the truth.

Get the whole series, you will not regret it.

10/10

- Anthony
Lord Freddie
View Profile
Inner circle
1093 Posts

Profile of Lord Freddie
I'm doing a January deal on the series at the moment, all four for just £40. (A saving of £15)
Email me at valentineEntertainments@googlemail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Occult Magic Volume 4 by Freddie Valentine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL