The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing to Hotels (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
I'm going to Texas for a week of performances, and I'm thinking of bartering some strolling magic for room and board in various hotels. Anybody done this? Or am I setting my sights way too low, and should try to SELL it for a lot more than what room and board at the hotel would typically cost? I'm thinking, though, that this will not be an easy sell, and I only have a month before my week in Texas. I'd be happy just being able to spend the week down there for free, saving myself probably $700 in hotel room costs, not to mention the dinners. Anyone done this kind of deal with hotels, and how did you go about it? Thanks.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Perhaps you can pull a coin out of the desk clerks ear for a booking like this, but I kinda doubt it.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
James Warren,

Yes, contact the hotel manager or hotels event planner.
Best bet are hotels are extend stay type of places, because they have "families" staying with them for months. They tend to love to barter. Also, resorts that have live entertainment is good too.

Keep me posted on how you do.

Cheers
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Will do. Thanks Curtis.
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Another option is to target hotels that have Executive or Club floors with complementary food/drinks in the evenings.
These are usually full of regular travelers and most hotels work hard to keep them happy.

Other hotels who don't have these floor levels often have a cocktail party for their regular guests once a week.

Both of these are excellent opportunities.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Great suggestions, thanks.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I have done something similar to this on hundreds of occasions. A few quick suggestions:

1. Approach independently owned properties. You can more easily reach the owner who is usually a much more hands-on manager greatly concerned about budget, advertising & promotion, amenities, etc. He or she is the decision maker and usually can decide for themselves rather than some of the chains or corporately owned hotels that may have a process they have to go through to even be able to consider such an arrangement. Rarely are they willing to put in the effort and even if they do their process takes time.

2. Don't approach with the arrangement of "if you can provide me a room, I can do..." Instead approach it from the point of your value first. Such as I am an entertainer and would be very interested in performing my....". Create a value, interest and want in what you are providing them. THEN, if they express an interest by asking "how much", you then say, "what I'd be willing to do is...normally I would charge $350 ($450 or whatever) for..., but if it would be something you'd be interested in trying, I would be willing to do it for a nights (or 2 nights, etc.) accommodations in exchange for my services..."

3. If you have a reason, it can be even stronger. "Yes, I am in town doing a benefit performance for xxxx children's hospital... and then ask for their support as you get into your proposed offer/arrangement.

There are many more possibilities here, but these are just some of the very basics. We have arranged full tours over the years using this and advanced methods similarly based on such arrangements.

Best of luck.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Wow, those suggestions are extremely helpful, and I'll try to out beginning tomorrow. Many thanks!
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Here is something we have done in the past. First you will have to get permission from the people that hired you to do this. Offer the hotel to be a sponsor of your show. Tell them you will have a sign or maybe put them in the program (if there is one) in exchange for a room. It's amazing how easy this is. We usually have three or four hotels take us up on the offer and we can take our pick. I have never tried to get meals. That might be a little harder. If the shows you are doing are in a hotel of course this won't work.
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Thanks Eldon. The shows in this case are for schools, so that rules out a program, and it probably also rules out any kind of advertising sign. Have you ever done with with school shows? If so, is there some way in which the hotel can be a "sponsor" that receives some kind of recognition with the school?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Marketing to Hotels (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL