The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Karrell Fox Books - Opinions wanted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Could I have some opinions on these books. There were a lot published over the years. Which would you consider to be the best ones?
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
363 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I have Abrakafox. It has more stories about Karrell and Duke Stern then it does magic. Would not recommend it if looking for new material.
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
I have " For my next trick ".
It's very hard to write on, as the materiel is for a Fox type performer. M.C. or stage .
The book is heavily illustrated with lots of photo's and cartoons which makes it easy to read and carries Fox's personality, but cuts by half the magic trick content.
There are good tricks - cards, mental, and coins, but as above, if you looking for new material I would look elseware.
For an advanced performer who can carry off Fox's style of presentation and who is looking for ideas rather than tricks I'm sure the book may be of some use.
It shows the difference between an entertainer and a magician.
Eddie
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I have "Another Book" and "My Latest Book" by Karrel Fox. They contain good routines with every kind of inexpensive material but the methods are a little aged. Descriptions are not very detailed and once again there are a lot of photos of Karrel and friends. Anyway I like them and I read them often for presentational ideas and inspiration.

"The wise magi, when he enters a magic shop, never asks, What's new? but rather, What's old?" (Karrel Fox)

Sincerely
Academy
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I have "Clever Like a Fox" and "Another Book". Both have some good simple and direct magic in them..also very commercial. I particularly like the mentalism section of both. If you do mentalism, I think those sections alone are worth the price of the books. Especially his take on the Dr. Hoy swtich stick and an absoulely great/workable improvment for the nail writer for standup or stage....

Most of the other magic can be reworked for your style I think...I think this is the type of book that most might read through and miss some real gems.
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I have all the Fox books and I'll be putting them up for auction, right after the holidays.
I think every one, except Abrafox, contains a ton of useable material. Karrell Fox was a "generalist" and good at everything he did.I really don't think you can go wrong with any of his books.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to all that took the time to respond. The feedback was appreciated.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 01:18, John Macmillan wrote:
Could I have some opinions on these books. There were a lot published over the years. Which would you consider to be the best ones?

Wow. I'm a little surprised at the responses here. Not arguing with any of them, just surprised.

I own most of what Karrell published. The first book I purchased was "Another Book", which caused me to seek out and purchase the rest, including the smaller booklets and pamphlets.

I suppose there are two main ways to view the contents of a magic book; number and methods of tricks, and approach to magic. Karrell's books were written before many of the people on this board were born, so naturally the presentation will seem dated. But the underlying principles and how he dealt with audiences is classic and timeless.

Unlike many magic books I own, there is a definable approach to magic found in Karrell's books. There's a lot to be learned from this in the same way you can learn a lot by reading Dai Vernon's treatment of tricks.

I've found lots of tricks in his books that can easily be adapted to the 21st century, but I find more value in his approach to tricks and dealing with audiences.

Wouldn't part with my Fox books for all the tea in China. When John S. puts his up for auction, snap them up.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I will second that John!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It is interesting how people judge books. Abra-Ka-Fox has more than 20 tricks, while at the other end of the spectrum Another Bookhas over 100 tricks, M.C. bits and other usable items.

The former cost me about $11.00, the latter, about $25 or so. The price per trick ratio is about 25 to 50 cents. While much of the material might not be immediately useful, it is always there for reference purposes.

So, you may want to look past the photos of Duke Stern and Howard Bamman, remembering to look at the excellent photos of the various sleights in Abra-Ka-Fox, and see the actual fruit in the orchard.

If you go into an orange grove looking for apples you will be disappointed. But you can at least remember where the oranges are.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Maybe a book is only as good as its reader. If you expect to use the Fox stuff off the shelf -- you will just prove you are NOT Fox.

But one of my best -- money making --and I dare say most creative routines is based on ONE simple trick he had used as a filler. His presentation was anything b7t bizzare -- while mine pushes the edges or arcane history...with the same trick. (I believe I told you about this about a yearago bill and it fits right in with my Egyptian Tarot.

GC Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
limkris
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
166 Posts

Profile of limkris
Chmara,
Does your monney making trick use the card force K. Fox teaches? It is one of the easiest and cleanest card forces you can do do with a deck of Tarot cards.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Most of Fox's books are padded to high heaven, the parentage of some tricks is questionable and with his words of wisdom he occassionally contradicts himself.

However, he WAS a good performer and the experience shows. The books are very easy to read and the chances are strong you WILL find material you will use (some of it has been marketed). Personally I found the earlier books better, "Another Book" may be the best.
Generally there is nothing too taxing in the books and as stated earlier, a wide variety of material.

Paul.
jhostler
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of jhostler
Quote:
On 2003-12-21 11:11, Paul wrote:
Most of Fox's books are padded to high heaven, the parentage of some tricks is questionable and with his words of wisdom he occassionally contradicts himself...

Paul.

I'd say that just about nails it. Your money could be invested much more wisely elsewhere.
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Well, I decided to have a look for myself and so I ordered "Another Book". Thanks again for the suggestions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Karrell Fox Books - Opinions wanted (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL