The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deck the Halls » » 1001 Aladdin Playing Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
Just opened a pack of these for the first time, and I wanted to share some first impressions. There's some other stuff on the Café about these, but since this new section exists, I wanted to share my thoughts.

First of all, it says "smooth finish" on the card box, which I assumed was just a different way of saying "air cushion finish", but that's not the case. On taking the cards out of the box, they felt plasticy, sort of the Legends deck, if any of you have ever used that, but the stock is different. There are none of the dimples that you have in a typical USPCC deck either, it really is a smooth finish, which will take some getting used to for me. Still, the cards fan fairly well.

On opening the back, one card, the Queen of Hearts, was turned face up in the deck. I'm assuming that it's intentional, so if you get your hands on a pack of these, go for some kind of force, then have your spectator open the pack for an effect on its own.

The stock on these is thicker than usual, so I found some cardistry stuff a bit harder to do. It does make riffle and waterfall shuffles a little more awesome and fast though. Honestly, I'm not too impressed with the feel of these cards, too clunky for me. They don't faro super well either. They do handle crimps--not as well as common stock, but better than I thought they would.

I do like the old-school back design, and it sort of has a semi-one-way feature to it: the lines on one end are printed a bit thicker than the lines on the other.

I know I'll get some use out of these cards, and I'll post again after I've beat them up a bit more so see how they hold. For now though, I've got to say--they just feel kind of cheap. Wouldn't recommend them, but I would love to hear some other thoughts if anyone's willing to share!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
These are great cards, and thick stock for sure. I've gotten use out of them and my Stuart Gordon DL is flawless with these. I have no strife with these!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
It should be noted that the original post here is referring to the "White Aladdin" deck, reprinted by The Blue Crown earlier this year. It does not refer to the Blue and Red Aladdin decks as originally printed by USPCC.

While the decks do have a smooth finish like the originals, the reversed Queen, special stack, etc are unique to this custom run.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Digitalyosh
View Profile
New user
Southern California
76 Posts

Profile of Digitalyosh
These decks are a beauty to handle. I would use them more often but now they are not printed anymore and I just feel bad using them up. DL's are amazing to do with them and have been practicing the Diving Board DL with them constantly.
Current things to work on: Everything loops, Pinky count, Coins coins coins...
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
Here is a link to the deck mentioned.
http://thebluecrown.com/playing-cards/wh......eck.html

JMN
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Yes, this is for the WHITE Aladdins sold by BLUE CROWN the reversed card was an intentional "trick" but also doubles as a cut card for future use.

Here is my review for THAT deck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZUWVw5kG-Y

As for Normal Aladdins here is my review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzSxutZDyV0

Personally, I don't like the smooth finish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deck the Halls » » 1001 Aladdin Playing Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL