The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One More Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
I perform at restaurants. Mostly I am balloon twisting. However, I always have three tricks with me.

1) Invisible Deck
2) Extreme Burn 2.0 by Richard Sanders
3) Deluxe Nest of Wallets by Nick Einhorn

Of course, all three kill. They pack small and play HUGE!!!

I get requests to do one of these three every time. Often it is the restaurant manager pulling me over to show his favorite customers.

Here is my question.

If you were going to add one more trick to this list that plays as strongly and is easy or instant to reset, what would it be?
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I'm sure you'll get all sorts of great responses but personally I would carry a deck of cards and perform Card to Mouth. I'm sure it goes without saying you can perform an million more routines with the deck, if need be.
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
766 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
Finger ring and a shoe string. I can get 5-7 min from a . Not that I do all that I know in one set, but still. Small, instant reset. Greg Wilson and Garrett Thomas both have great DVD's on ring and string material.

Double back by Jon Allen: Packet trick using 4 cards.

Coin routine with halves

Lipstick for ashes to palm

11c hand penetration trick a la Greg Wilson on "Off The Cuff"

Hard to go wrong with sponge bunnies.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
Simple sponge ball
Short ring & string (to NoW?)
Coin unique or simmilar

Good luck
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Sponge balls would be my shout but how good are these for restaurant work? don't they roll everywhere?
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Sponge bunnies Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Sponge Balls with a squeeker.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I'd go with a chop cup or mini-chop cup

it takes up a bit of pocket space... and it takes a bit of skill... but it resets instantly at least.

or you can just use an ungimmicked cup. check out this video and see how well this simple routine plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2nbWcVio_g
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Crazy man handcuffs!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Misled by Timothy Winks.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
As I read your post sponge bunnies and crazy man hand cuffs came in to mind. Then I took a few momnet to think about it and thro working it out on a few bits of note paper I came up with this.

What is each effect a demonstration of,
1) Invisible Deck - A type of production,
2) Extreme Burn 2.0 by Richard Sanders - transformation,
3) Deluxe Nest of Wallets by Nick Einhorn- coin to impossible location / re location,

So then I started to make a list of what else we see magicians do,
Escapes,
Torn and restored,
Vanish and multiple production,
Levitation,
Solid through solid,

The next step is to find a effect that suite your crita, style and rest requirements and go from there. Here are a few ideas,
Escapes,- Thumb cuffs,
Torn and restored,- Mark mason news paper trick / gyspy thread,
Vanish and multiple production,- Sponge bunnies / sponge balls/ coin productions,
Levitation,- Floating match / Pk ring effect,
Solid through solid,- crazy man handcuffs / Pen thru bill,

This is just something I spent a bit of time on hope it helps. Not knowing full patter routine and patter line I migth be a bit of track. But I hope you get were the thinking coming from and this helps in some way.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Industrial revelation is very good. a bit expensive, and it's heavy... but otherwise, it's very easy to do and a very powerful trick.
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
I have something that would fit perfect.. Brent Braun's Torched and Restored.. Check out his latest Penguinmagic.com Lecture.
Easy and fantastic!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:48, Yellowcustard wrote:

As I read your post ...

FANTASTIC info and insights!!
Montana76
View Profile
Inner circle
I hope I one day reach
1177 Posts

Profile of Montana76
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:48, Yellowcustard wrote:

As I read your post ...

FANTASTIC info and insights!!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Are you dressed as a clown while doing this? I only ask because of your avatar and that could have an effect on pocket space.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 22:45, twistedace wrote:
Are you dressed as a clown while doing this? I only ask because of your avatar and that could have an effect on pocket space.

90% of the time I am dressed as a clown when doing this. So, I do have a bit more pocket space.

When I am doing the magic I play to the grown-ups and the kids are looking on. I find that for things like Invisible Deck it works to my advantage because I say something like, "If that was the three of spades would that be amazing? I wish I could do that trick. It would be like Las Vegas good if I could do that."

So, they are set up to expect the typical cheesy beginner clown joke (like a card with all 52 cards printed very small on the face, or a card with the words "Your Card" or something).

Then, when they see the real magic the reactions are even stronger. Because I've amazed Mommy and Daddy they are telling the kids I'm good and telling their friends. After that booking birthday parties is easy because they have seen "real" magic.

When I do corporate or grown-up events I have a Western character (think a cheap copy of the great Pop Haydn). I do live in East Texas so it works well.

I guess I'm over explaining because I hate that many clowns think that because of the costume they don't have to do good magic and thus don't work hard. I might go to the other extreme because so many clown performers don't work at their magic so I feel the pressure to try to be the best I can possibly be.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Has anybody mentioned ambitious card?
Optical ropes is great and reset is instant.
There are a ton of possibilities, but it's past midnight and my brain is hanging up a closed sign for the night.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It sounds like you need quick effects that hit hard. I can't see you dressed as a clown going into a chop cup or ambitious card routine. Dean's Beads or Nana's Necklace could be great effect a for you. They look like props a clown would naturally carry. I use them often and they plays great for kids and adults.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
I'm thinking the Phil card trick easy fun and little pocket space

Leo Jr
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » One More Trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL