The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Writers... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's that time again. November is National Novel Writing Month. Over 140,000 writers have taken up the challenge so far this year to write a 50,000 novel (or at least, a 50,000 word great-start-to-a-novel) in one month. NaNoWriMo, as it's more commonly known, has grown tremendously since its inception, and the online and offline support communities around it have led to its success - millions of attempts and hundreds of thousands of successes, including novels written during NaNoWriMo that were traditionally published.

The program works through mutual support and accountability. If you think you could have a book in you, but you've never gotten around to it, and you're ready for an adventure, check out NANOWRIMO.ORG If you're asking "Who the #@$% can write a book in a month?!" think of it like this...1667 words/day times 30 days = 50,000 words (or so). Those 1667 words actually AREN'T that many. It's about 6 pages, double-spaced in 12-point type. But YEAH, it's about 6 pages EVERY DAY for 30 days. But if you like a challenge and are willing to wake up a little earlier, stay up a little later, forego some television (or political arguments on the Café)...you can find the time. Maybe.

I'm going to give it a shot for the first time this year. I'm officially a "NaNoWriMo Rebel," working outside the box, as my project is not a novel, but a work of non-fiction. I've decided to get started on "147," my planned history of boxing's welterweight division. I've been reading source material, taking notes, organizing ideas, etc., but not actually writing yet, because we start at 12:00 a.m. on November 1st, and go until 11:59 p.m. on the 30th.

Some of you (us) guys probably crank out 75,000 words a month just in NVMS alone!

Any other idiots ERRRRR brave souls out there?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5154 Posts

Profile of landmark
Break a leg. I've been working on a novel on and off for about seven years, and each time I go back to write, I forget the characters' names, or I have a whole different set of questions for them. But it is on my bucket list--novel before I kick the bucket.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1764 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I've had a work-in-progress novel on the back burner for many years now. It's centered around my actual experiences while touring and performing with rock stars. The biggest stumbling block I have is: my stories - while absolutely true - are so outrageous, people might not believe them!

Arthur Stead
http://www.arthurstead.com
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
@flowoboL,
Thanks for the heads up.

Does a program exist that lets you know how many words are contained in a manuscript?
I've had several stories published locally. I always struggle with the word counts.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 15:16, Devious wrote:
@flowoboL,
Thanks for the heads up.

Does a program exist that lets you know how many words are contained in a manuscript?
I've had several stories published locally. I always struggle with the word counts.

Most word processing programs have a Word Count feature. On Microsoft Word (my version, anyway), it's under the "Review" tab.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
In MSWord 2007 and later (maybe even 2003) the word count is in the lower left corner of the window. If you highlight a subsection of the text, you get both counts automatically.

In the later versions alt+r+w pops up the document statistics. Probably works in earlier versions too.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks for the reminder, Lobo. I'm going to try this. And I'm looking forward to your book on the welterweights!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Am too busy writing my next mentalism opus, scheduled for release next year.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Slaps his forehead...all this time right in my face.
Thanks for the headsup (pun intended).

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
I have been blessed with many talents, but writing is not one of them. Break a leg my friend.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:26, Woland wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, Lobo. I'm going to try this. And I'm looking forward to your book on the welterweights!

I'm registered under the same user name...feel free to add me as a friend, or whatever they call it there.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:44, mastermindreader wrote:

Dang, I was hoping it was coming out this year.

MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Good luck, Lobo! Sounds... exhausting. Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I orignally had a manga I was trying to write as a script. My wife suggested I try making it a novel instead.
Maybe I'll focus on that this month, but probably not.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-25 20:12, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-25 16:44, mastermindreader wrote:

Dang, I was hoping it was coming out this year.

One IS coming out this year- in November at MindVention (twelve days from now). I'm working on the one that comes out after that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Update:

The best advice I got was to create a buffer, i.e. write more than the required average early. Unfortunately, it was hard advice to take, due to my non-writing schedule and also the fact that I have to utilize a higher percentage of references for the early part of the boom (as opposed to happenings from the early-mid 20th century and beyond, with which I'm more familiar off the top of my head). As a result, I'm behind pace. After today, the straight-line pace would be 11662 words (after yesterday, it was 10,000). As things stand, I'm at 6671 (about 26 1/2 pages). But I'll still get a fair amount more done today (aiming for 8,000 or so), and the prorated pace hasn't changed that much. At the outset, it was 1666 words per day; from here, 1806 words per day will get there. But I plan to get ahead of the 1666 pace soon, hopefully by the end of the weekend or early next week.

As far as the historical timeline, I've gone from the generally accepted beginning of the modern weight class (in 1888) into the very beginning of the 20th century, and am now working on Joe Walcott (no relation to heavyweight champion Jersey Joe Walcott, who took his name from the welterweight champ). More to follow!

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
How many words have you written here in that time. Smile

No, seriously good luck. I've always been a frustrated novelist. Even went to France in my early 20's to emulate Henry Miller. It isn't and easy task and its a great accomplishment just to finish.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-11-07 16:07, Slide wrote:
How many words have you written here in that time. Smile

No, seriously good luck. I've always been a frustrated novelist. Even went to France in my early 20's to emulate Henry Miller. It isn't and easy task and its a great accomplishment just to finish.

I wish it were as easy as the offhand rants I fire off in here! I'd break all records.

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Lobo-

Being a big boxing fan, I'd really like to read your work after you've finished it.

I've been working on a serio-comic semi-autobiography for the past couple of years. I'm afraid to complete it, though, because I'm superstitious about finishing it with "The End." Smile
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'll make sure you get a copy.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Writers... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL