The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Justin Miller's V.O.I.D. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It says coming soon

http://www.justinmillermagic.com

Maybe he'll give us the skinny on it.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Kinda reminds me of David Regal's "Sudden Deck".
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2013-10-27 01:17, Peo Olsson wrote:
Kinda reminds me of David Regal's "Sudden Deck".

Many people have tackled this plot with diff. ways of getting there. THE only thing that mine and regal's have in common is the unfolding of a card box, everything else is totally diff. in method. And mine can actually be handed out at the end..if you want.
JM
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Trailer is up and it looks fantastic!

http://www.justinmillermagic.com/apps/we....../4262162

The box is compact so it fits anywhere!
The case is shown empty!
The box can be examined afterwards if you wish, I mean it is just a folded card box after all!
You can produce a reg. deck or a gimmick deck..up to you!
Instantly resets!
Super easy to do and make!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I'll hear you Justin, I apologize. That it can be handed out changes Everything. I only ment it "looked alike".
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-27 03:21, Peo Olsson wrote:
I'll hear you Justin, I apologize. That it can be handed out changes Everything. I only ment it "looked alike".

peo, no need to apologize bro, it is a very logical observation.
JM
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
This looks excellent!

Gary.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
IMO, Regal's Trick is superior. Sudden Deck looks more open, more convincing, more deceptive. That the box can be handed out is anticlimactic at best. The whole point of such a trick is to provide a visually compelling, surprise opening. You want to grab their attention for the rest of your act. In that respect Sudden Deck is similar to the Shrinking Card Box (Wonder, Cornelius) or Leffler's impromptu Cards Into Case (see Encore III or The Magic of Michael Ammar). You do it and immediately continue with your act. If they think too long about it - what they will do, if you hand out the box - the trick becomes a mere puzzle, instead of a charming magical moment. In my experience, opening effects like these are more effective when underplayed.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
IMO the best way to use effects like this is, to bring out the box already made up, look inside and notice there's no deck in there, start patting pockets etc and open out the box etc, well you get the idea!

If performed as a set production much like stage magicians of old with those auful boxes then the only reaction you will get is, that's clever I didn't see where the secret compartment was?

I like this version and David Regal's first version as they are perfect for this type of presentation!

Gary.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
......And you don't need to hand the box out to be examined as yes this would be just a puzzle, you would produce the deck and then just toss the box onto the table, much the same way you would with an ordiary box!

Gary
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
*ordinary* Smile
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

Doctor D
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
"... but I also didn't want to go, here I have this thing and watch this..."

Yet you pull out an unassembled box, fold it around itself etc. Nothing wrong with that, but you're really contradicting yourself there.

As for me, I also prefer the look of Regal's; the discrepancy in the folding of the box here is too much for me to ignore.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6971 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
The discrepancies would totally fly as it's a very fast effect and nearly impossible to keep track of the orientation of everything on the first view.

I have an appearing deck thing similar to this as well. Works different than Regal's or Justin's, though. Nice work, man!
NUMBERED - A killer predicted card at any number out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/numbered.html
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-27 05:44, Uli Weigel wrote:
IMO, Regal's Trick is superior. Sudden Deck looks more open, more convincing, more deceptive. That the box can be handed out is anticlimactic at best. The whole point of such a trick is to provide a visually compelling, surprise opening. You want to grab their attention for the rest of your act. In that respect Sudden Deck is similar to the Shrinking Card Box (Wonder, Cornelius) or Leffler's impromptu Cards Into Case (see Encore III or The Magic of Michael Ammar). You do it and immediately continue with your act. If they think too long about it - what they will do, if you hand out the box - the trick becomes a mere puzzle, instead of a charming magical moment. In my experience, opening effects like these are more effective when underplayed.

I do not know where you perform, but I perform for humans, and humans have this really interesting trait they show sometimes called randomness, and every now and a gain they grab, take, reach for, or just plain steal things from other humans, especially if what they saw from a specific human defies their understanding of how the world in which they live in works in their perception. Do you say "check this box, please, look at this, omg why are you not looking at this?" No, but like gary said you just lay it on the table or what I do is I hand it to someone while I start an effect with the cards. NEVER in my 1k plus performances of this, has anyone ever paid anymore attention to the box after its done. And once I am done with the card set or what I am doing, I ask the person who has the box for it and place the cards back in and done.
So I wanted to make sure that in my version IF the need came around for they to be grabby, this would stand the test.
JM
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-10-27 07:44, Doctor D wrote:
"... but I also didn't want to go, here I have this thing and watch this..."

Yet you pull out an unassembled box, fold it around itself etc. Nothing wrong with that, but you're really contradicting yourself there.

As for me, I also prefer the look of Regal's; the discrepancy in the folding of the box here is too much for me to ignore.

Hey doc,
It seems you did not listen to the trailer. When I said the above I was talking about SAYING anything at all. like "here I have this thing and watch this" I never talk at all during the actual effect. It is a casual throw away like it was so normal to me to find a deck in a folded case, I down play it so they can up play it in their perception.
And what discrepancy? I am not aware of one.
JM
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I LOVE Reagal's Sudden Deck. But I only use it when I do MC or stage work ( no, smarty pants, not at the MGM. Just little open MIC nights or comedy clubs ). The flash printing works perfect from the stage. Why not elsewhere? Because I found in close-up situations, people want to see the box ( they did for me ).

As much as I'm not a hand out the props person, lay people have a mind of their own no matter how good you are at audience management. There's a difference between magic theory and actually performing for people ( doesn't matter if it's a paid gig or for strangers ). David Williamson addresses this in every lecture.

From the demo, Justin's has this very casual, subtle look to it. I'd just toss it on the table as if it didn't matter if they looked at it ( that's a powerful psychological ploy ). Or, hand it to someone to hold and just smile when they try to find the secret.

These points grabbed me:

The box is compact so it fits anywhere ( can be carried in your pants pocket )
V.O.I.D. is examinable.
Super easy to do and make ( an expensive gaff box wears out with use and you have to re-buy it ).
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Does mr Zombie ever sleep? Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-10-27 14:53, Peo Olsson wrote:

From about 3am-7am. I can sleep when they put me in the box.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Must be mr Regals Crystal Box Smile
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-27 15:09, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-10-27 14:53, Peo Olsson wrote:

From about 3am-7am. I can sleep when they put me in the box.

Good man Smile Pity you don't live near me, I know some great 24 hr bars!!
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Justin Miller's V.O.I.D. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL