The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2013 entrée: Paul Romhany » » Charlie Chaplin??? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Greetings Paul,
I'm curious as to why YOU chose Charlie Chaplin as a character for yourself. Do you feel you could relate to his comedic antics?
Do the effects you perform seem to match the character? Many people nowadays have never heard of Charlie, but what a great talent.
Would love to hear a little bit more about this relationship with Mr. Chaplin...
Thanks!!!!!
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hello - I started becoming Chaplin at around 8 years old. I saw my first movie (The Circus) and said to myself - that's who I want to be when I grow up. I actually won a local talent competition as Chaplin not long after that. The Chaplin show came together not long after I became a full time magician - I had always had a passion for his movies and as luck had it I was the same height, had the same curly hair and features. I had been watching movies of Charlie since a kid and could relate to him. When I become Charlie I am also myself - very at ease with the character and in many ways it's more me now than Chaplin. It's my interpretation of what Chaplin would do as a magician. He's not a magician but the magic happens around him.

I have spent years studying every single move, every nuance, every eye and moustache movement to the point where I can instantly get in to character. I wouldn't say I relate to his comedic antics as much as I do his pathos. That's what makes Chaplin such a famous icon in the world of entertainment.

Having performed now in over 100 countries, from Africa to the Middle East I can tell you people, and kids, still know who he is. He is taught in schools in a lot of countries and the real magic of Chaplin is that his movies are still being shown around the world. Currently in color cartoon form thanks to Sony. While in the Middle East the United Emirates Airline had an entire channel devoted to his movies and short films. He is still the most iconic figure in the history of showbusiness. The real secret is that he's timeless and is just as relevant today than he was 80 years ago! I get asked to perform with Symphony orchestras as the opening act to movies with the Symphony, whenever they have a Chaplin movie with live music. The one thing I find is that people are taken on a journey and still clap, laugh and cry at a Chaplin movie. There are no other movies I can think of that evoke such reaction and emotion in the past 100 years than a Chaplin movie, and probably never will be. How many movies today will last the time of a Chaplin film? Very few.

So, from watching and studying the classic movies, and what made these people timeless we, as magicians, can learn a lot. We can learn how to take a room of people and elevate that room to become an audience, how to take them on a journey and have them leaving the theatre with an incredible experience. THIS is what a real magician does, or should do, and this is what I get from watching and studying Chaplin movies.

My one man Chaplin show is all about the journey - both comedy and pathos and when people leave I want them to be talking about the show for a very long time.

Yes, every single effect is designed for the show - 90% of it is original to me and would only work for Charlie. Part of the success of the Chaplin show, and the reason it's kept me in constant work is that I spent, and still spend, a lot of time working out what suits the show, and where the show is heading. Even though the show is pretty much 'set', I'm always striving to take it in a new direction.

As I said, Chaplin is timeless. I can perform him for any age group from young kids who see him as a clown, to teenagers who think he's really funny and cool, to people on cruise ships and theatres around the world who know his movies and still have a connection with him. The reason for Charlie Chaplin's success was that he appealed to everybody. There was something about his character that everybody could relate to. He was a genius without a doubt and possibly the greatest entertainer the world has ever seen or likely to see for some time.
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://www.paulromhanymagic.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Excellent.. Thanks for the extensive and informative reply.....
My wife and I were just watching an old Chaplin film.(silent)My wife's first time seeing a silent film.
It was funny how we got caught up in the plot. We thoroughly enjoyed the movie
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Hey Paul, did the little Chaplin marionette worked for you? How's the progress going with him?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Is that you Frankie? Long time no hear. I LOVE that little Chaplin. I have yet to put him in the act. I had it working prior to leaving NZ but since we moved I just haven't had time or the chance to work on it again - however now I will go down to storage and get him out and work on him - thanks!!

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Yup that's moi.
I will be inetrested to see what you come up with him!
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
LOL - you are one of the few who know about the marionette:) The show will start off with just the spotlight on little Charlie and eventually morph in to me as larger Charlie. It's such an amazing piece of art you created for me. Thank YOU! I hope to film it soon.

MagicMason
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of MagicMason
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your wonderful exposition of Charlie Chaplin! I was fascinated by what you wrote, especially this line... "I wouldn't say I relate to his comedic antics as much as I do his pathos. That's what makes Chaplin such a famous icon in the world of entertainment". Would explain a little more by what you mean about Mr Chaplin's pathos? Thanks!
Tom Mason
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
800 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
Hi Tom
The real secret to Chaplin's movies was not his early slapstick but those moments that touched you. His feature length movies all have this. Just watch 'The Kid' and let me know if you cry or not. I haven't met one person who has not cried watching that movie. You find yourself laughing but being touches in such a way that you want to hug your kids! That was the real magic of Chaplin - he used Pathos in such a clever way throughout his movies. It's a great example of how we can combine humor and pathos in our magic. I do it in my own Chaplin act which helps take the audience on a journey. Sometimes those moments in a show that reach out and touch you are the strongest. Quite often it's the humor that makes the pathos that much stronger.

dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
Excellent advice
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2013 entrée: Paul Romhany » » Charlie Chaplin??? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL