We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First nursing home show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
My wife & I did our first nursing home show today. We did 30 minutes with the finale being the production of our rabbit. The staff & the residents were absolutely delighted. I'm not sure who enjoyed the show more, us or them. What a great place to perform, for people who really appreciate it. We spent as much time visiting than performing, if not more so.

Some of the great comments we heard: It was nice to hear good clean jokes.
We want you to come back again. (December?)
Thank you, this was so much fun!

If you never have performed at a nursing home before, you should!
We also met "Sister" Pauline who asked for our card & wants us to perform at other nursing homes that she visits. It felt so good to bring joy to others who sometimes don't get a lot of visitors or outside stimulation, other than TV.

While the pay was not great, we got so much more than we ever expected. We can't wait to do our next nursing home!

Mark
Magic Rik
View Profile
Loyal user
Eastern Canada
297 Posts

Profile of Magic Rik
My wife sings once a week at a local Nursing home and I go with her once a month. I enjoy it, it is a great skill builder as there is often little or no reaction, some of them are asleep in their chairs. But there are always a few who just love it.

I know that some of the people there never get any sitters. Pay - nope, none at all. But I can practice new illusions and they never know if I mess up.

I enjoy it.

Think BIG stuff, think colourful stuff, go slow and don't think about very subtle stuff.
Magic Rik

Life itself is magic - I just want to help a bit!

https://www.facebook.com/Magic.by.Rik
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
British Columbia
1405 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Good for you for doing this performance. There is much to be said for performing in these venues.

Ray
EnterTRAINment at its best. Keeping the Magic Alive in Northern BC
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
That's awesome Mark! Did you guys ever go back in December?
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Not yet. We are still trying to work our schedules out. However I am performing at another nursing home/assisted living center/convent this friday. Approximately 40 nuns and the staff, should be very interesting!

Mark
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Cool! Let us know how it goes. Smile

Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Friday afternoon with the nuns went great. The performing area was tight, but we made it work. Of course the rabbit was a big hit, as always!!! The activity director wants us to come back, as well as the residents (they want the rabbit to come back also)! We wrote a "special pricing" into our contract for more shows throughout the year, looks like they will be taking advantage of that. However since they are run by Catholic Charities they have to check the "budget", but it looks like this will become a regular gig.

We spent almost as much time visiting as well as performing. This is a group of women who have fascinating stories and we can't wait to visit with them again!

Mark
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

That's great news!

You're making me think about getting a bunny.

Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Ted

Our bunny has been always one of the highlights of our show. Since a lot of performers in my area don't have one, it helps our show to stand out more!
They are definately work (practicing with & cleaning up after them...the glamorous part of show-biz LOL), but well worth the effort in my honest opinion, for what's worth.

Mark
DickOShea
View Profile
New user
Massachusettes
1 Post

Profile of DickOShea
Mark,

Kudos to you and your wife.

These types of venues are always looking for that "special" entertainment - and the audience is always appreciative.

I had a rabbit once. Shortly after getting married, I found a pet store who had the cutest Netherland dwarf - with hair the same color as mine (strawberry blond).

Unfortunately, the rabbit would not remain calm - ever. And it continued to grow. By 1 year, it was too large for my hat. It was 14 pounds when she passed at the age of 12 years.
A long time member of the family - but not of the magic show.

Enjoy the performances where ever you go - and the audience will enjoy you.

Dick
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
What effects do you do? Is there other effects you don't do and why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First nursing home show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL