The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question on a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
everlast
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of everlast
How does David Blaine hand that card to the cop and make him say the card he handed him?
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
Just so you know, nobody will answer it (if they do it's against the rules of the Café). Secrets are only revealed in the Banquet Room, a room were one can only obtain access to by having 50 posts or more. Right now though, you could ask if there are any videos or books teaching that trick.

MagicTy
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Even in Secret Sessions, it would be fairly unethical to ask questions regarding the methods of tricks. The purpose of Secret Sessions is so that we may openly discuss the methodology of effects without fear of exposure. Remember, this is not a website for exposure, it's a website for magicians to come together and help each other and thoughtfully discuss their craft.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Made a bit of a mistake there.
I agree marko, although some people have asked to have a trick revealed and it has.
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Quote:
On 2003-12-20 11:53, everlast wrote:
How does david blaine hand that card to the cop and make him say the card he handed him

It was magic

Dave
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The cop was crooked! He took a bribe!
Smile
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
That worried me. Watched his special last night. When he asked the guy to think of the odd # in which both #'s were odd.. and he guessed it. Ugh.. Why not 35, or 17, or 59.. why 37? bah
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Quote:
On 2003-12-22 13:45, Firedice27 wrote:
The cop was crooked! He took a bribe!
Smile

You mean he was on the take? Get it? He took the card... Oh boy... Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Why bother trying to figure out Blaine tricks?
Mostly everything he does can be figured out by a beginner magician!
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
Err, he's trying to figure it out BECAUSE he's a beginner magician....
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I think he outta check out the Café Ettiquette

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Chris: The answer to your question is in the book "Magic with everyday objects" by George Schindler. It is also listed in other sources.

I use this successfully on the radio all the time. Smile
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
jmsilhy
View Profile
New user
Mex
67 Posts

Profile of jmsilhy
Mistro, I am also a beginner magician, and I can't figure out all of Blaine's tricks. I also would like to know a good source for walk-around tricks that you can do anywhere and that actually impress people. Is the book by George Schindler that glodmagic is recommending good for this? I mean, for beginners to do street magic? You know, some of those can get too complicated for us beginners... Smile
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
246 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
I am a beginner as well but instead of focusing on Blaine pick up a book by Walter Gibson ,Henry Hay or the idiot's guide or Magic for dummies. They teach you a wealth of knowledge of all aspects of magic. It is nice because it opens up the fields such as close up,impromptu,card,coin,mental and many more. Mark Wilson's Complete course of Magic is great as well and teaches alot of useful information.
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
Lol, thanks Glod. I'm sure it just has to do with the schematics of someone's brain, and the ratio of the other number's they'd pick. Or something weird like that.. lol
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4394 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2003-12-23 14:09, jmsilhy wrote:
Mistro, I am also a beginner magician, and I can't figure out all of Blaine's tricks. I also would like to know a good source for walk-around tricks that you can do anywhere and that actually impress people. Is the book by George Schindler that glodmagic is recommending good for this? I mean, for beginners to do street magic? You know, some of those can get too complicated for us beginners... Smile

If you're just a beginner, why should you be rushing out and doing street magic? Most beginners books do NOT prepare you for street magic.

Paul.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1040 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Well said Paul. Would you pick up a guitar and start playing on the street corner? I would hope not. You would be doing your audience and yourself a disservice.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
A lot of Blaine's stuff used stooges and bad actors just to prop up the show. Heck, for 6 million a year, I'd be doing the same thing Smile
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Do we know if he really did use stooges for his show? That's almost bordering on accusing him of dishonesty. I'm quite prepared to believe that there is some obvious trick involved, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that the 'volunteer' participants were not actually volunteers. It would be like a TV magician making things appear by stopping the cameras, having them brought in and then restarting, not magic - just straight out lying.

Irritating as some people find Blaine (and I haven't seen any of his stuff on television here) I would at least credit him with enough integrity to do his tricks for real, at least until proven otherwise.

David.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-23 14:09, jmsilhy wrote:

If you are a beginner, you need to learn the fundamentals before you go out and try to perform. There are certain basic skills that you must have or you will not be able to do anything at all. Personal confidence and address will only carry you so far, but if you don't have anything to back it up, you will fall apart like a house of straw built on a foundation of sand.

Get your basics down first. Learn some sleights. Learn misdirection. Learn audience management. Then you will have some of the basics you need.

That's why we recommend certain books and DVD's. They contain the basics.

And it's also why we don't just reveal the secrets to everyone. If we explain how Blaine does that particular card trick, it would be of no value to you, because you wouldn't have the wherewithal to do it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Question on a trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL